Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

First week spent in Motorhome

I purchased a 36' Class A Allegro Bay and have spent my first week staying in it while working during day.
I was told when I bought it everything worked and mechanic checked it out and was fine. NOT!!!

I had to call an RV service center in North Platte and they needed to take to shop and found out converter was fried (296.00) and house batteries bad (227.00) and then checked rest of home and replaced some fuses and everything is pretty much good. One slide was rewired so don't have to jump with car to move in and out. Heaters are working great and got water and sewage hoses heat taped and insulated.

We put a small 200W heater in hookup bay to help with cold nights. Cost at RV center was 1033.00

We are having trouble with cable though. Bought new TV at Walmart and had no cable. Resident manager came over next morning and plugged TV in outside and it worked. Brought in and put new cable from wall box attached to home and it worked.

Next day did not work cause wife wrapped heat tape and insulation around cable when wrapping hoses. Bought another 50' cable and hooked up, did not work. Put cable thru driver door and to TV and it works. SO do I need someone to rewire inside or what? Also who does this besides 85.00/hour RV store?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having trouble with your new toy but I would sure be giving that "RV Tech" a call and asking why he missed so many things.

I think it's too soon to think that you need to have the coach rewired but some detective work is certainly in order. It will require more than just plugging in the TV with a go/no go test. You'll have to use a volt meter and begin tracing what voltage you're getting at the outlets in question and then trace back to fine the breaker which controls them to find out where things are going bad if it's a power problem. If the problem is just that you aren't receiving a cable signal, you'll probably need to do some similar troubleshooting. You may have a broken coax cable somewhere in the walls.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
did the dealer conduct a PDI with you?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi First Timer,
Welcome to iRV2. The answer to your last question is you. You're the one who works for free. Everybody else will have their hand in your pocket.

Before doing anything with the cable, consider stepping back and walking through all one must do, in your coach to get cable TV. The switches, buttons and source select choices all must be correct.
1. Do you have a signal source selector box for the coach? Is the correct button pushed or switch set for cable TV?
2. Do you have more than one TV in the coach? If yes, do all TVs not get cable TV?
3. Modern TVs have several input sources for the TV signal. Is the TV have the correct signal source selected?

Lastly, consider checking the wall connector. You'll need to remove the face plate and ensure the cable is tightly screwed into the wall outlet.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi First Timer,
Welcome to iRV2. The answer to your last question is you. You're the one who works for free. Everybody else will have their hand in your pocket.

Before doing anything with the cable, consider stepping back and walking through all one must do, in your coach to get cable TV. The switches, buttons and source select choices all must be correct.
1. Do you have a signal source selector box for the coach? Is the correct button pushed or switch set for cable TV?
2. Do you have more than one TV in the coach? If yes, do all TVs not get cable TV?
3. Modern TVs have several input sources for the TV signal. Is the TV have the correct signal source selected?

Lastly, consider checking the wall connector. You'll need to remove the face plate and ensure the cable is tightly screwed into the wall outlet.
After posting this I read thru several other posts pertaining to the same cable problem I am having and will be toubleshooting with those ideas too. Thanks for comments, as I will be learning many new things as time goes by.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #6

What does PDI mean?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
did the dealer conduct a PDI with you?
What is a PDI?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having trouble with your new toy but I would sure be giving that "RV Tech" a call and asking why he missed so many things.

I think it's too soon to think that you need to have the coach rewired but some detective work is certainly in order. It will require more than just plugging in the TV with a go/no go test. You'll have to use a volt meter and begin tracing what voltage you're getting at the outlets in question and then trace back to fine the breaker which controls them to find out where things are going bad if it's a power problem. If the problem is just that you aren't receiving a cable signal, you'll probably need to do some similar troubleshooting. You may have a broken coax cable somewhere in the walls.

Good luck.

Rick
There are a couple outlets that don't work and I was wondering same, why did they (RV Tech.) not find this and fix. I will be calling them.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The cable selector boxes installed in older MH do not work with the new digital tv signals. Bypass the selector box and your new tv will most likely work.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Timer View Post
What does PDI mean?
Post Delivery Inspection

Edit:
Oops, as Jim pointed out in his post below, that should be PRE Delivery Inspection.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
The cable selector boxes installed in older MH do not work with the new digital tv signals. Bypass the selector box and your new tv will most likely work.
I think someone gave you some bad information.

The signals are on the UHF band now and the switch boxes were built to accommodate that band because there were stations on that band before the change in modulation. The switch box doesn't care about the modulation scheme.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to be aware of - if you have a wallplate that has a button that is pushed to turn the amplifier in the head of the batwing antenna on and off, it needs to be off. It also acts as an A/B switch that switches between the batwing and the cable input.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fixed mine and another one who could not get digital cable working, may be worth trying.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
How old do you consider " older" . Mine is a 2004 & my parents is a 2001 both work fine. However I have had to run new T-shirt cable from outside hookup to switch box and from switch box to bedroom TV due to very poor quality of picture. I ran my cables behind the a pillar and the dash then thru the floor and along the frame with the other wire bundles then to their respective locations. All is fine now. This is not a difficult job to do.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome