Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fish eye mirrors

Has anyone added a larger fisheye mirror to their side view mirror set up? I like my main mirror but the convex mirror is a little squashed height wise, would like it to be bigger. Any good looking solutions other than your own reflection?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean physically larger or one that is more convex and thus displays a larger area. The drawback of the latter type is that the distance is more and more distorted as the curve is increased to get more coverage in the same size mirror.

What brand and model of mirror do you have now? My Velvac top hats are a three mirror stack and the top and bottom ones are convex, one wide but not real tall for a wide arc and the other roughly square. That gives me three adjustable areas of coverage - and I still wish I had more!
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was just in Port Charlotte, FL in an RV dealers store, and they had rather large fish eye mirrors that could be clamped to the top or bottom edge of the standard mirror housing. They looked pretty good to me. I did not look for the brand or anything, bad the were not even expensive (something between $20 - 30). One might be able to find them on Amazon.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Larger I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Do you mean physically larger or one that is more convex and thus displays a larger area. The drawback of the latter type is that the distance is more and more distorted as the curve is increased to get more coverage in the same size mirror.

What brand and model of mirror do you have now? My Velvac top hats are a three mirror stack and the top and bottom ones are convex, one wide but not real tall for a wide arc and the other roughly square. That gives me three adjustable areas of coverage - and I still wish I had more!
I'm thinking larger height wise, mine seem a little to squashed. On my box the fisheye mirrors are square and cover the same width reflection as the motor home but much more distance, like front to back.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is what I'm thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I was just in Port Charlotte, FL in an RV dealers store, and they had rather large fish eye mirrors that could be clamped to the top or bottom edge of the standard mirror housing. They looked pretty good to me. I did not look for the brand or anything, bad the were not even expensive (something between $20 - 30). One might be able to find them on Amazon.
I'm thinking a clip on fisheye, was wondering if anyone had tried this. I know once I put it on it's gonna mark the factory mirror so I'm Leary. Haven't searched online for it yet.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
I'm thinking a clip on fisheye, was wondering if anyone had tried this. I know once I put it on it's gonna mark the factory mirror so I'm Leary. Haven't searched online for it yet.
The one I looked at had the clamping surfaces made of plastic. The screws to apply the clamping pressure were metal. It might be possible to put a thin strip of hard rubber onto each clamping surface and avoid any marks.
It was something like this, but shaped a little more streamlined.

The Big Auxiliary Mirror-Wide-Angle Side View Mirror : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yea that's what I'm thinking, seams like it would work.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Has anyone added a larger fisheye mirror to their side view mirror set up? I like my main mirror but the convex mirror is a little squashed height wise, would like it to be bigger. Any good looking solutions other than your own reflection?
I have a 05 Horizon with the same mirrors you have. I purchased these convex mirrors that mount on top of your mirror. They work great. They are from Autosport.com. Here's the link:Blind-spot Side View Mirrors - Blind-Spot Mirrors - AutoSport Catalog Make sure you order the "LARGE SIZE" model. They are alot bigger than the ones pictured and are square shaped.

If you want something better, Velvac makes a mirror to mount on top, but are very expensive.https://secure.velvac.com/checkout/f...&cat=400&acc=1
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Velvac top hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
I have a 05 Horizon with the same mirrors you have. I purchased these convex mirrors that mount on top of your mirror. They work great. They are from Autosport.com. Here's the link:Blind-spot Side View Mirrors - Blind-Spot Mirrors - AutoSport Catalog Make sure you order the "LARGE SIZE" model. They are alot bigger than the ones pictured and are square shaped.

If you want something better, Velvac makes a mirror to mount on top, but are very expensive.https://secure.velvac.com/checkout/f...&cat=400&acc=1
Yes the Velvac "top hat" ones look real nice thanks for the link!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I was recently looking at getting the TopHats but in the end, decided to just buy taller replacement mirrors on eBay (haven't gotten them so I'm not sure how it will work out). Part of me liked the idea of having 3 section mirror (some mhs come with them from the factory) but in the end I decided I also found the 'flat' portion of the mirror too short and the taller 2 section mirrors give you a taller 'flat' portion and a taller convex portion.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote