Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington Court House, Ohio
Posts: 132
If you are so sure that your tuner will not cause a problem then why do you sell a warranty to cover that situation? I would think you would provide that coverage in the price of your product since you are so sure there won't be a problem.
__________________

__________________
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 4,691
george,

Well your view/opinion on this issue is one. I have another view point. This may not be my place but think about it. They have a business to run. It is not an easy business but a very complicated one. They are trying to provide a better quality product than Ford is trying to do. Can they make a mistake??? Sure they can because they are human beings working in this difficult area. They are just trying to provide a resource to protect themselves so they can move forward.

"Safest TUNE possible" That's what 5-Star says. Point me to one specific proven example where their TUNE failed causing a Ford V-10 engine failure.

I for one hope they will continue trying to improve the TUNE. They can do that difficult job with some ease if they know their company is protected. For that I don't blame them in the least. Actually I think it's the prudent thing to do.

One might also ask this question. If this is so easy why isn't Ford providing it for us the consumer. My sources tell me they don't want to devote the time or money. Consider this as well. Ford does not have to do anything to compete in the gas RV market since they are the only game in town.

I'm glad there are people out there who have worked hard to provide the consumer with better products. Maybe we also just have to many lawyers out there trying to make a buck.

TeJay
__________________

__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
harleyjt's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
If you are so sure that your tuner will not cause a problem then why do you sell a warranty to cover that situation? I would think you would provide that coverage in the price of your product since you are so sure there won't be a problem.
Funny, I thought the same thing. Regardless of warranty implications, its still tampering.
jt
__________________
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 700
Two thumbs up TeJay. Don't want - don't buy. I had 5 Star Tune but I use CC a lot. 5 Star will be the first to tell you that has been a tough nut to crack. I decided to wait until it was a better solution. Without any haggling, 5 Star refunded my purchase.

PS: I did notice a much improved performance but not with CC.
__________________
US Army Retired - loving it in our Challenger 37TB.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
If you are so sure that your tuner will not cause a problem then why do you sell a warranty to cover that situation? I would think you would provide that coverage in the price of your product since you are so sure there won't be a problem.
That is a very good question George. We have to offer the product warranty because there are some consumers that are warranty driven. Its basically something we started offering because of customer feedback. Our job is to give the customer what they want and they wanted a warranty. We have never had anybody call us because they needed it but we offer it. When you call us we do not even bring the extended warranty up unless the customer asks about it. We have tuned quite a few RV's so far with no problems. We stay within the Ford recommended parameters to prevent any problems down the road. I understand your argument though, every time someone offers me an extended warranty on a TV or appliance I ask the same question, and RV's are way more expensive than any TV or appliance. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank You
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
iRV2 Group Buy
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington Court House, Ohio
Posts: 132
Thank you for your response. I am not trying to bad mout you or your product, in fact I may try it myself after my warranty is up. Having owned Fords all my life I am just very cautious about modifying anything while still under warranty. I have never had a problem with Ford honoring any warranty claim and the even did $10,000 worth of work for free when my 2006 F350 6.0 diesel had a problem when it was 6 miles short of the 100,000 mile warranty. I appreciate all the effort you and your company have put into this product and wish you much success.
__________________
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
Thank you for your response. I am not trying to bad mout you or your product, in fact I may try it myself after my warranty is up. Having owned Fords all my life I am just very cautious about modifying anything while still under warranty. I have never had a problem with Ford honoring any warranty claim and the even did $10,000 worth of work for free when my 2006 F350 6.0 diesel had a problem when it was 6 miles short of the 100,000 mile warranty. I appreciate all the effort you and your company have put into this product and wish you much success.
No problem we get that question all the time and we are glad to answer it for a group of people on a thread instead of one at a time makes it easy. When you are ready just give us a call and we can get you set up.
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
iRV2 Group Buy
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 27
TeJay-
A little tough on the lawyers aren't you!!! If you have time call me so we can have coffee next week. Your Lawyer Bob
__________________
Lambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It is also my understanding that Ford has to prove that the TUNE caused the engine issue. That would be a long and expensive process for Ford.
According to the Moss-Magnusson Act that is correct. HOWEVER, you will have to take them to Federal Court to try and prove your case.
Dodge did this for years with their rigs and just stonewalled everybody. As far as I know they were never sued over it by and owner, just too costly.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
harleyjt's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Posts: 1,611
MagnusonĖMoss warranty act provides that the manufacturer cannot require the consumer to use the manufacturer's products to keep the warranty valid. What this means is you can go down to your local auto parts supplier and buy a Wix or Purolator or whatever brand oil filter you wish to use. You do not have to use the AC, Motorcraft or Mopar filter sold by the dealer. However, the parts you use must meet the manufacturer's specifications for the part. It also requires proper application. You cannot use an inferior oil for instance. It must meet the specs set forth by the manufacturer. Also, you must use the proper filter that meets the specs. You cannot put just any filter on the engine. It has to be the correct application as well as meeting the specs. You can't simply screw any filter off the shelf onto the engine and when the engine pukes because the filter leaked the oil out claim warranty coverage under Mag Moss. It doesn't work that way. Some people want to read in things that just aren't so.

Mag Moss as far as I know (my career was with a big three automaker in service as a factory technical rep) does not allow for alterations or modifications to the vehicle. Tuning is a modification. Alterations and modifications are specifically not covered by the manufacturer's new vehicle warranty. Period. Its stated so in the warranty terms. Any damage caused by those alterations is not covered by the warranty. That is where the problem sometimes comes in is proving one way or the other what caused a failure. Its a tough one for everyone involved. Not fun for anyone. Do yourself a favor and don't screw with it until the warranty is out. Then do whatever you want.
jt
__________________
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
5star's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 687
To be clear our product has never caused a failure of any kind on a customers rig. If it did I can be 100% positive us and everyone on this forum would have heard about it. We keep all of our tunes within Ford guidelines and do not turn off any safety mechanisms built into the PCM. Since our tune has never directly caused a failure our tune has never voided a warranty. If anyone has questions about it feel free to call us and we can talk. Thank You again for the discussion it is important for anyone with a rig.
__________________
chris@5startuning.com 843-536-1244
5 Star Tuning Site
iRV2 Group Buy
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 4,691
Very good discussion. Many points and discussed very well.

I'm still reminded of Dave - Oh. His vibration issue has still not been resolved. The manufacturer has just stopped responding I guess because being the bigger of the two they can.

How would any of us feel if we bought a new $120,000 product that we couldn't use?? Frustrated and perplexed as to why it can't be fixed. Confused as to why the manufacturer refuses to return calls. That is a lawyer driven response.

I was with Dave from the beginning. I have talked with him on several occasions, advised him on things and closely followed the thread from the beginning. Dave has done everything correctly, has his ducks in a row and will (if there is justice) come out on top when it goes to court.

Just in the last few weeks Dave (medically not mechanically trained) did some things to the front hubs and reduced the vibration about 40%. That's significant. Dave has done more to fix this issue than any dealer technician has.

Why won't Ford step up and replace both front hubs assembly's with a set from a known good unit and be done with it? Why push this to a court battle? They have a defective unit and have fooled around with this since last summer.

It is troubling that a manufacturer throws in the towel, refuses to fix their defective unit then will throw their weight around trying to deflect the consumer who does not have the time nor the same resources.

As far as the TUNE Chris from 5 Star has reported in post #19 and 25:

"That is a very good question George. We have to offer the product warranty because there are some consumers that are warranty driven. Its basically something we started offering because of customer feedback. Our job is to give the customer what they want and they wanted a warranty. We have never had anybody call us because they needed it but we offer it. When you call us we do not even bring the extended warranty up unless the customer asks about it."

"To be clear our product has never caused a failure of any kind on a customers rig. If it did I can be 100% positive us and everyone on this forum would have heard about it. We keep all of our tunes within Ford guidelines and do not turn off any safety mechanisms built into the PCM. Since our tune has never directly caused a failure our tune has never voided a warranty. If anyone has questions about it feel free to call us and we can talk. Thank You again for the discussion it is important for anyone with a rig."

That sure sounds like a clear straight forward answer in my mind. I'm good.

TeJay
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Dennis Dean's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Very good discussion. Many points and discussed very well.
As 5 Star has reported in post #19 above:

"That is a very good question George. We have to offer the product warranty because there are some consumers that are warranty driven. Its basically something we started offering because of customer feedback. Our job is to give the customer what they want and they wanted a warranty. We have never had anybody call us because they needed it but we offer it. When you call us we do not even bring the extended warranty up unless the customer asks about it."

TeJay
X2 Tejay
__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
jackreno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
To be clear our product has never caused a failure of any kind on a customers rig. If it did I can be 100% positive us and everyone on this forum would have heard about it. We keep all of our tunes within Ford guidelines and do not turn off any safety mechanisms built into the PCM. Since our tune has never directly caused a failure our tune has never voided a warranty. If anyone has questions about it feel free to call us and we can talk. Thank You again for the discussion it is important for anyone with a rig.

I installed 5 star tune on my Ford V-10 about 3 months ago, runs great pulls my load like it only weights 2000 lbs and shifts excellence, had a issue in the mountains and it pinged at high RPM's and threw a engine code, emailed 5 star and they sent me a lesser aggressive tune and said I should change my spark plugs, knowing that my V-10 only has 37,000 miles and runs great I decided on seeing what else the issue was and found out my fuel filter was plugged, changed the fuel filter and cleared the engine code and hit the road with the same 1st tune and no more issues, only got to say 5 star tune was the best performance upgrade I have had on my motorhome..

Change your fuel filter..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	999.png
Views:	37
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	119471  
__________________

__________________
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Star Tuning... Group Buy! 5star Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 703 12-08-2017 05:07 PM
5 Star Tuning - Group Buy Take 2! 5star Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 107 01-25-2016 04:14 PM
5 Star Tuning aFe Header Group Buy (For those lurking with F150 5.0's) 5star Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 01-12-2016 03:43 PM
Anyone have a device from 5 Star Tuning? Quincybear Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 9 01-17-2015 12:33 AM
2014 Labor Day Sales Event ! 5 Star Tuning 5star Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More) 0 08-16-2014 07:26 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.