Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fixer Upper - Dynasty

Considering the purchase of a 2005 Dynasty Diamond from original owner who due to health reasons, can't use it. It has about 50k on it, but needs work. What can I expect in costs to get it in tiptop shape. Can you experts guide me a bit?

About me...
I have not owned a MH, but have owned two travel trailers. Wife and I want to travel the country when we retire in a year. I would like to full time, but she is reluctant to sell the house until we determine the life style is for us. For this reason and the higher cost of new MH, we think buying used is our best choice. I am mechanically inclined with particular qualifications fixing things around the house, thanks to years as a landlord. So, I will perform some of the repairs myself.

The Dynasty needs the following based on my quick analysis. All furniture including front seats, couches, and bed need replacement. Carpet too. Other things:
- Tires 10 years old....has tag...needs 8 tires
- Slide toppers shot
- Awnings so/so
- 3 AC units working...but expect to replace
- Engine, generator, Aqua Hot need servicing and could require more...generator has only 131 hours on it, as owners used rv parks exclusively
- replace all batteries and inverter
- shocks, brakes, air bags replace
- roof resealing and reconditioning
- replace TVs
- probably tons of small things and maybe some big things I don't know about.

Owners had pets so the indoor air quality is disgustingly bad.

Assuming motor and tranny are good (will check them out thoroughly), would $20-$30k get the coach in good shape? I may be able to buy the coach for $75k.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What do you mean by 'roof reconditioning'

Should have a fiberglass roof.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

First, I'm a HUGE fan of the Monaco Dynasty... almost bought one but it got away from us before we could write the check. I'm also a huge proponent of buying used - we bought a quasi-fixer-upper ourselves - and, like you, we're considering going full-time but the DW isn't quite sure yet. However, I can promise you from personal experience that your laundry list of repairs won't do anything to help convince your wife that selling the house is a good idea. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Your list of concerns is pretty long and they carry the risk of just being the tip of the iceberg. But, of your entire list of items, the one that jumped out at me was when you mentioned pets and disgusting interior air quality. That's a huge red flag that you might not be able to fix at all, especially if it's combined with mold that you might not even be aware of yet from the roof that needs "reconditioning."

You also have to factor in the time and frustration all these things will cost you. It won't be like you can just write a $25,000 check and everything will be fine... this will be a long, tedious process of getting one or two things fixed at a time and then going back for the next couple things on your list. Maybe you'll be able to travel in between repairs, maybe you won't... you have to prepare yourself for the worst.

Honestly, the seller would do better to repair all the items first and then sell for retail or close to it. You might do better to add the $25-30k of repair budget to your $75k purchase budget and just buy something for $100k that doesn't need quite so much work.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
What do you mean by 'roof reconditioning'

Should have a fiberglass roof.
I meant a good cleaning and waxing. The fiberglass is very dull and dirty.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
If things are in the shape you state, I'd pass on it.

How did you decide that the inverter, air conditioners, shocks, air bags, and brakes need replacement?

The 75K for the coach and another 20K that you plan to spend will buy a very nice coach that needs very little work
Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racklefrack View Post
First, I'm a HUGE fan of the Monaco Dynasty... almost bought one but it got away from us before we could write the check. I'm also a huge proponent of buying used - we bought a quasi-fixer-upper ourselves - and, like you, we're considering going full-time but the DW isn't quite sure yet. However, I can promise you from personal experience that your laundry list of repairs won't do anything to help convince your wife that selling the house is a good idea. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Your list of concerns is pretty long and they carry the risk of just being the tip of the iceberg. But, of your entire list of items, the one that jumped out at me was when you mentioned pets and disgusting interior air quality. That's a huge red flag that you might not be able to fix at all, especially if it's combined with mold that you might not even be aware of yet from the roof that needs "reconditioning."

You also have to factor in the time and frustration all these things will cost you. It won't be like you can just write a $25,000 check and everything will be fine... this will be a long, tedious process of getting one or two things fixed at a time and then going back for the next couple things on your list. Maybe you'll be able to travel in between repairs, maybe you won't... you have to prepare yourself for the worst.

Honestly, the seller would do better to repair all the items first and then sell for retail or close to it. You might do better to add the $25-30k of repair budget to your $75k purchase budget and just buy something for $100k that doesn't need quite so much work.

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. The odor is a concern. The seller has been running an ozone air cleaner for some time, without much effect. I saw no evidence of water leaks on the interior ceiling. Actually the interior looks very nice except for the worn out furniture.

I am considering hiring an expert to inspect the coach and tell me his opinion.

As you mention, my fear is a money pit that takes many months to fix. However I know the Dynasty is a great coach and it is possible I might get this one for $50k with some negotiation.

My thought is if we like the life style, we would sell the S&Bs and go full time. Then we would trade the Dynasty for a new or newer coach.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

I just bought 2004 Dynasty Regal last spring from private owner, 42 ft tag with 60000 m 2 yr tires and batts and in excellent condition, service up to date. No issues inside or out. 75000 plus tax. If yours needs the work you mention I doubt wholesale exceeds 45000 at the best. Good luck, Dave
shepfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Fixer Upper - Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Considering the purchase of a 2005 Dynasty Diamond from original owner who due to health reasons, can't use it. It has about 50k on it, but needs work. What can I expect in costs to get it in tiptop shape. Can you experts guide me a bit?

About me...

I have not owned a MH, but have owned two travel trailers. Wife and I want to travel the country when we retire in a year. I would like to full time, but she is reluctant to sell the house until we determine the life style is for us. For this reason and the higher cost of new MH, we think buying used is our best choice. I am mechanically inclined with particular qualifications fixing things around the house, thanks to years as a landlord. So, I will perform some of the repairs myself.

The Dynasty needs the following based on my quick analysis. All furniture including front seats, couches, and bed need replacement. Carpet too. Other things:

- Tires 10 years old....has tag...needs 8 tires

- Slide toppers shot

- Awnings so/so

- 3 AC units working...but expect to replace

- Engine, generator, Aqua Hot need servicing and could require more...generator has only 131 hours on it, as owners used rv parks exclusively

- replace all batteries and inverter

- shocks, brakes, air bags replace

- roof resealing and reconditioning

- replace TVs

- probably tons of small things and maybe some big things I don't know about.

Owners had pets so the indoor air quality is disgustingly bad.

Assuming motor and tranny are good (will check them out thoroughly), would $20-$30k get the coach in good shape? I may be able to buy the coach for $75k.

1. Tires are normal replacement.
2. Contact Chris at Stone Vos. He is the topper King and a coach owner.
3. My coach is an '03 with 110k miles (we are full time) and my 3 A/Cs are OEM.
4. Why replace inverter?
5. Shocks are Bilstein and my OEM are still good. Brakes generally are good for over 100k. My OEMs are still good. Air bag replacement is very unusual. Life is usually 20+ years.
5. FG roof cleans up with Mr Clean Magic Eraser & treat with 2 coats of Mop & Glo. Few hours at most.
6. A/V equipment is out dated but not a huge expense.

Have samples analyzed by JG Lube services.
1. Engine
2. Transmission
3. Coolant
4. The generator should be a 8 or 10 KW Onan. Low hours is not necessarily good so should have an Onan shop evaluate & service. Running it with a heavy load for an hour will tell the tale.
5. The AquaHot can be trouble if it hasn't been winterized. If the freshwater loop is allowed to freeze its an $8-10,000 mistake. If the diesel burner runs with little smoke & no sign of water or coolant leaks under the coach is should be good to go.

To do the big necessary items should total less than $10k including all neglected maintenance item. Interior remodel items you mention should be around $10-15k. This depends on quality of replacement items and how extensive the remodel.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #9

Woy, imagine what you haven't seen. Motor and tranny. Personally I would run away and look for something that was taken better care of and pay a little more. Our coach is the same vintage and was babied by the previous owners who sold to me for less than NADA low book.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Woy, imagine what you haven't seen. Motor and tranny. Personally I would run away and look for something that was taken better care of and pay a little more. Our coach is the same vintage and was babied by the previous owners who sold to me for less than NADA low book.
I agree, the animal thing alone is enough to make me move on for something in better condition.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone dealt with pet odors in a coach like this one? We don't have pets, but I am thinking if I replace furniture, carpet, and bed along with a good cleaning, I can get the odor out. Am I right or wrong?

If I buy it and can't get the odor out, my DW will kill me.

The odor is very bad. They have been running some kind of ozone electric air cleaner without much affect. The coach is indoors so it can't be air'ed out.

I am leaning toward trying to buy the Dynasty, but really appreciate every one's comments.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Has anyone dealt with pet odors in a coach like this one? We don't have pets, but I am thinking if I replace furniture, carpet, and bed along with a good cleaning, I can get the odor out. Am I right or wrong?

If I buy it and can't get the odor out, my DW will kill me.

The odor is very bad. They have been running some kind of ozone electric air cleaner without much affect. The coach is indoors so it can't be air'ed out.

I am leaning toward trying to buy the Dynasty, but really appreciate every one's comments.

The odor is primarily in the fabric of the furniture and other soft goods as well as the carpet. If you are changing all that out then I would be very surprised if it doesn't solve that problem along with a good general scrubbing. The fact that the coach has been neglected should give you lots of bargaining leverage.

Here is an '05 Dynasty that sold at PPL Motors back in April for $90k

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/...asty-32271.htm
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The odor is primarily in the fabric of the furniture and other soft goods as well as the carpet. If you are changing all that out then I would be very surprised if it doesn't solve that problem along with a good general scrubbing. The fact that the coach has been neglected should give you lots of bargaining leverage.

Here is an '05 Dynasty that sold at PPL Motors back in April for $90k

2005 Monaco Dynasty 42D IV for Sale - D721CL - PPL Motor Homes
Wow. That coach looks very nice. I think my offer for the one I am interested in, just went down.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Serve Pro or one of the other disaster cleaning services might be able to help with odors .. If you can buy it right and can do some of the work this might be a good deal. At the least you will be able to customize the RV the way you , or your wife , may desire