Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

FL Keys, Salty air corrosion concerns.

Hello,
Going to spend a couple of weeks in the lower Florida Keys and I'm a little concerned about how the salty air will effect the motorhome. Not so worried about the gel coat but possibly any exposed metal or perhaps the radiator, air conditioner coils or possibly anything underneath.
If you have stayed close to the ocean for several weeks then what did you notice as far as any corrosion if any and what if anything did you do to try and deal with the salty air.
Appreciate any tips you might have.

Thanks,
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If it's only for a few weeks then when you leave the area have it detailed to get the salt off. I know when we lived in MI Thom would get the vehicles washed and pay special attention to the underside of them at least once a month to wash the salt and stuff off.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

You can buy a product called salt away and hook to your water hose to help with the neutralization too
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Letsgoagain,
Worry not about your coach or stay. If your stay includes "normal" weather due what the previous posts suggest. If you stay includes quite a bit of wind (like tropical storm or hurricane) that is a different story. In the high wind scenario, consider a pressure washer for cleaning the parts you are concerned about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #5

We've spent some winter months in KW within sight of the water with the truck and FW. I've observed what looks like a salt build-up on my stabilizer jacks, the truck's underside, etc. For two weeks I recommend just hosing off bare metal a couple of times and wait till you get home for a more thorough cleaning.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I once left a car parked in the keys for about six months. It was pristine when I left it and had scores of rust spots when I returned. That air is more corrosive than you would think. There is almost always an onshore breeze to pepper you with the salt. However, for a period of two weeks it should not be so bad. I would wash all the exposed metal parts (including underneath) as often as you can, and pressure wash when you return and you should not have any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
We've spent some winter months in KW within sight of the water with the truck and FW. I've observed what looks like a salt build-up on my stabilizer jacks, the truck's underside, etc. For two weeks I recommend just hosing off bare metal a couple of times and wait till you get home for a more thorough cleaning.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Okay everyone, thanks for the replies. Sounds like the salt away is an especially good idea. Looks like I can order some off of amazon. Not sure if I should spray the motorhome before getting there or after when I clean it up, maybe both would be a good idea.
Thanks for the help.
Letsgoagain
Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #8

Not FL keys, but we boondocked on S. Padre Island, TX once. The sand contains salt, combined the two made a mess of anything metal on our truck and 5er, I had to junk our bicycles. With constant wind blowing the salty sand, it reminded me of a sandblaster with a corrosive agent added to hasten destruction of our rig.
This winter we will be at NASKW for a month. I'll be taking my portable electric pressure washer along to wash down our MH when we return inland.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I rinse mine thoroughly when I get home (after 2.5 weeks) What's amazing is the rust that accumulated on my bicycle. I saw rust on spots after a few nights! Rinse everything well when you get home.

BTW....where ya staying in the Keys? We're headed to Bluewater Key tomorrow night, staying until June 8.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I looked at a 2010 Dutch Star that wintered somewhere in FL...OMG! It was great looking inside but once you looked in the engine compartment and all other outer, metal surfaces it was horribly corroded. You almost couldn't give me that MH...almost. LOL

I bet it would have taken several thousand dollars to properly mitigate the rust, replace some excessively corroded pieces and treat everything to bring it back to a stable situation. For that reason, we plan to winter a fair distance from any coast line.

OTOH...I wouldn't be too concerned with a couple weeks but totally agree that you will need to clean it up when done. I would think that if I was to get in a place like that for a long period of time I might want to get a portable power washer. If the CG wouldn't let me use it periodically...call me GONE.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in Atlanta and have been to the keys several times. I always put a lawn sprinkler under the motorhome and let it run 20 minutes and the move it until the whole underneath is done. It works great for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #12

We had a house in the keys for many years and never had a problem with vehicles rusting from the time we spent down there which was usually at least a month long.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #13

MuckSavage,
Bluewaterkey is our destination also. Won't be there until your last week though.What site are you on? I think we're on 68 unless it changes. I'll stop by and say hello.
Doyou get a SunPass or do you just let them send you a bill for the Turnpike in FL.
Have a safe trip.
Letsgoagain
Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
We're on site 41 (I think) It's the big site at the end of the cul-de-sac. We have a primarily cream colored Thor Astoria & a white Jeep Cherokee. We'll have a little teal-colored motorboat also. See ya there! Be safe!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote