Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fla. Title

We live in Va. And want to title our MH in Fla. Need to know what we have to do to title in Fla. We will be out of the state of Va more than 6 months in a year.

Pokypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #2

Establish a residence in FL

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awarnes View Post
Establish a residence in FL
Yep. They will require you to have a 'permanent' address there - i.e. not a P.O. box. Call them to find out what paperwork they will require, and be prepared for some 'interesting' unforeseen issues - I lived there for 17 years and found that the State can be fairly frustrating to deal with.

- Randy
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

Use a mail forward service. They will do all the work for you.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dutchstar View Post
Use a mail forward service. They will do all the work for you.
Not so! We moved back to Fl. About 18 months ago. The new homeland security or post 911 laws have drastically changed at least FL law. I can't recall all needed documents but suggest you look up FL DMV info. Here was just some of the requirements. Established residency, must have elec. bill, water, etc. or show proof of needed deposits. This may eliminate the use of Ups postal boxes that we used as a residency when we went sailing in 2002? Marriage license, yes this was required! Birth certificates, you'll need to acquire a drivers license thus forfeiting your present state. This was not a complete list but pretty close so I suggest you research becoming a FL resident throughly it is not like SD.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #6

You could b rite. I did mine 5 yrs ago. Yes. They have changes because of 911.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #7

We became FL residents this past December. Not a problem at all, did everything in one afternoon including drivers license, two vehicle registrations, and voter registration.
Yes you need the documentation mentioned by Clay but this is easily obtained. Simply set up your mail service a couple of months ahead of time. Change all your addresses so mail goes to the service, even if your still in your S&B. Then you can have your service send you mail back to your house. All your bills now have the FL address. They accepted our Indianapolis utility bills because they had the FL address.
The mail service site ,we used St. Brendan's Isle mail service, should have everything you need to change your domicile including forms. If you follow there instructions you can be in and out surprisingly quickly.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
We became FL residents this past December. Not a problem at all, did everything in one afternoon including drivers license, two vehicle registrations, and voter registration.
Yes you need the documentation mentioned by Clay but this is easily obtained. Simply set up your mail service a couple of months ahead of time. Change all your addresses so mail goes to the service, even if your still in your S&B. Then you can have your service send you mail back to your house. All your bills now have the FL address. They accepted our Indianapolis utility bills because they had the FL address.
The mail service site ,we used St. Brendan's Isle mail service, should have everything you need to change your domicile including forms. If you follow there instructions you can be in and out surprisingly quickly.
I agree. I was a Florida resident at the time I started full-timing and used mailboxforwarding.com, which has a Pompano Beach street address. I had absolutely no problem changing the address on everything to that address.

I recently moved my residence to WA, and this is what I did:
  1. Registered to vote
  2. Stayed at a campground in WA. on a monthly rate, had documentation to prove it.
  3. Got Cable Internet service at the campground, so had a utility bill.
  4. Got RV/car insurance changed to WA based on campground address.
  5. Changed residency based on the cable bill, voter registration and campground rental including drivers licenses and registrations.
  6. after a period of time changed address to mail forwarding address online.
  7. recieved updated documents in the mail.

I also recommend changing voter registration first, as this is often one of the things that demonstrate that you've changed residency. It is also one of the items that requires very little proof and takes the longest to get the documents. Lastly, if you can, choose a campground where you can get something that looks like a lease. This is pretty easy if you're staying at least a month, but you can probably get the campground to play along if you explain why you need it. This process might require you to hang around for a few weeks, but just do it somewhere you'd like to do that anyway.

The states do have some hurdles that you have to jump through to get residency confirmed, but just remember this: You are not required to own or rent property to become a resident. You have to be residing in the state. Staying in a campground is residing and many, many people do it permanently. There is no minimum stay required either. You can honestly state that you have no plans to move your permanent domicile outside the state and give your campground address and lot number as your domicile. They CANNOT deny you, though you may have to do some things to prove it. You will need proof that you're staying at the campground. Open a bank account with the campground address. Get a cable internet account (or just request a cable "upgrade" to give you HBO), get a library card, register to vote, fill out the form to update the IRS to your FL address, change your cell number to a local number (and the billing) etc. Make sure EVERYTHING has the campground address. You are under NO obligation whatsoever to not leave a week after the paperwork is finished and change your address. You will typically have to wait a little while for the bank account, insurance, cable bill etc to get through the mail to you, so plan on staying for a few weeks.

Many states have mail forwarding addresses flagged and check them when you establish residency (especially state where people try to do this to avoid taxes, which aptly describes FL), so I don't recommend starting with your forwarding address. You can NOT prove you live at a mail forwarding service and you won't have a leg to stand on if they challenge you. Moreover it is arguable (though perhaps not prosecutable) that you ARE committing fraud if you submit a domicile address where you aren't living, so don't try it.

The only thing I would add is that if you are still residing in VA a significant portion of the time, or if you own a home there a case could be made by VA that you are trying to evade their taxes (particularly if you have income since FL is a no income tax state). I would not make this move unless you only stay in VA in a campground and either sell or rent out your S&B home. If you keep the home at all you will likely still have some tax implications in VA. However you shouldn't have any trouble with FL at all.

Go have a few great weeks in FL and get-er-done.

Good Luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drivers license, utility bill, permanent Fla address. That will get you up to the counter to apply for a Fla title and tag. Need certificate of origin for coach or a title from another state.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I live in Georgia and registered my motorhome in Florida. All I needed was my title and my motorhome inspected to check the vin against the title this was done by a notary. The last that I had to have was insurance that was recognized in Florida. It was painless and easy I even registered my Harley and my tags are mailed to my Georgia residence. Not sure where all you folks get your information but it is not that difficult and it saves me about 1600 a year in taxes.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #11

You need to contact any Florida DMV as the laws just changed and the costs reduced drastically. I recently applied for a Florida Title and registration and was never asked for anything other than DL.