Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Flashing Hazard Lights/or not

I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian. I know the 4 way hazard light setup is different on different units, this is how mine works. On the rear I have 2 red brake lights (actually 3 with a small middle light)....and 2 amber lights used for turn signal and 4 ways. With the 4 ways on, you do not have turn signaling capability, and with the 4 ways on, the brakes, either pedal or exhaust, do not stop the 4 ways from flashing. When the brakes are activated, or the exhaust brake is activated, the red brake lights come on and the amber lights will continue to flash.
This recently changed.
Now, with the 4 ways on, and the brakes light on (pedal or exhaust), the 4 way lights remain on but they do not flash. So now, when motoring down a 70mph 4 lane down a hill at 45mph with the exhaust brake on, brake lights are on, and the 4 ways stop flashing. Has anyone experienced this change, what did you do.
I know where the light module is, I know what it does....I am suspecting this module may be the culprit, but it is a $300 guess. I am also suspecting a bad ground, but that is only a guess....anyone have any experience with this dilemma. I want my 4 ways back while braking.
2005 Itasca Meridian 39F Freightliner 350 Cat, 34K miles.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

My older Freightliner is the common brake/signal bulb and the flashers stop, that's how I figured out the exhaust brake , activated the brake lights.
Question .
Does the different condition exist , with out any toad or trailer attached?
Any changes in toad or trailer.

EDIT: If your thinking bad ground , could be the trailer/ toad connector.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

With or without the toad, same symptom. Again, I have 4 lights on the back....2 red brake, 2 amber for signal and hazard. When brake lights come on, flashers are on but stop flashing.....never use to do that. They are independent lights from the brakes, however they all function out of a light module (that will cost me over $300 to try.....lol).
Old 08-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Is the module in question ( the $300 item ) in the front of the coach or the logic module in the rear that combines the two ( brake and signal) to the trailer connector.
If it's the one in the rear , you should be able to disconnect it and test for proper operation.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

Over 90% of all 12V issues are poor/missing ground. That is where I'd begin the hunt. BTW, poor ground is also the hardest to locate.
The combiner module may be tested for proper operation, no need to just throw money at the problem. My auto mechanic shop's owner has a MH. He installed the towed wiring, hitch on Jeep, and the combiner module. It took him about 10 minutes to determine it was bad, and another 10 to replace. He said they commonly fail from road water, as they are not waterproof, just water resistant.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #6

its the light module that is mounted on the firewall....from what I understand it makes all the lights work the way they should. Freightliner part number 06-44311.00 which is now obsolete and changed to part number 06-54581.000 RV Components USED INPOWER LAMP CONTROLLER PCM803 FREIGHTLINER P/N 06-44311-000 FOR SALE **Out of Stock** Switches | USED INPOWER LAMP CONTROLLER PCM803 FREIGHTLINER P/N 06-44311-000 | visonerv.com this link will show a picture of what I have.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #7

So what I need to know is, does your 2005 Itasca Diesel, (mines the Merdian), while the hazard lights are engaged and flashing, do yours stop flashing and just stay on when either the brake is depressed, or if the exhaust brakes is activated. I know different models act differently, I am specifically looking for answers from those who either own, or have owned, around this years Itasca Diesel. They have separate amber lights from the red brake lights.

Tags
light, lights