Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #15

^^^ I was going to suggest that depending on his answer. Great suggestion and worth a try. Can also us a piece of rope tied in a knot then use something to twist it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since it is a trailer.. Can you remove the non-seated tire and transport to a facility that can seat it for you? or as others said do it yourself seating works, but you may need more air.

I have seen tires properly installed go flat due to

1: Bad valve stem
2: Improper (low pressure on a high pressure tire) valve stem
3: Screw on cap with something under it depressed the valve core
4: Screw on pressure sensor did not seal properly.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #17

I missed the part about them being your steer tires, sorry.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #18

Thanks to all for all the input. Paid a company to come out to coach and fix the tires. They did a great job, traveled fifty miles, removed both tires, thoroughly inspected tires, stems, valves and rims, remounted tires with new stems and valves and charged $104 for everything. Central Tire in Harrisonburg Va area. As suspected by many of you, company that mounted my new tires did not replace valves or stems, which were in pretty bad shape. Valves were not the right type to be use with balancing powder. First time I checked the pressure the valve didn't close and I lost all air. I'm glad I checked the air at campsite and not on the road.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #19

Tires

My question is...why would you use balancing powder and not have the tires balanced at the tire shop ona machine
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #20

Glad to hear you got issue resolved at minimal expense. I was fortunate with my similar issue as I was in my driveway prior to a trip and just had to run down to the corner parts store for some new valve cores. I wonder how many folks have been bit by tires shops using balancing powder and not the proper cores? You would think they would know better being in the business. These issues could have lead to high speed blowout on the steer axle. Shame on them.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
On the tire with a broken bead, the bead can be reseated using any flammable product. Search YouTube for "how to set a bead on a tire with fire". I saw it done 20 yrs ago at a Big O Tire shop with starting fluid. As for your other tire that you refilled with air, check the valve stem, either it's bad or maybe just loose, assuming you didn't run over a bunch of nails on your way to the music festival. Best of luck!
I cannot believe that you gave this advice. Talk about dangerous. The posts about having a tire shop send a truck is the way to go. Keep the receipt and go back to the shop where you had the tires installed. The truck will use a special high volume tank that shoots a huge volume of air quickly into the tire to reseat it. That is a good safe way to repair it. There are other ways to get it to reseat but not that I would give a person that I did not know how much experience they had. I would not under any circumstances use the old spray in ether and set fire to it method. Unless of course you do not like your motor home and you are sure your insurance company will pay off when you do something dangerous.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
My question is...why would you use balancing powder and not have the tires balanced at the tire shop ona machine
When I had new tires put on my MH i got told that they do not do machine balancing on big tires not sure about anywhere else but tire shop that i used said that and they do MH semi, tractor just about anything. They also talked about using powder in the tire. When they pulled tires off my rig I found that the previous owner had installed the unit that fits on the axle and has oil in it to balance that side of the axle. I was happy to see them I had seen them on the internet so I knew what they were and that they were kind of pricy.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a Pressure Pro sender leak. Between the tow truck driver and I we were able to push the tire enough to get it seated, then I used the air compressor to fill it up. I think we got lucky too as it was a 275/70 22.5 Michelin.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Put a racheting tiedown strap around the tire in the center of the tread, with the tire jacked up off the ground. If you can ratchet that tiedown enough, it will usually force the bead against the wheel, allowing it to seal enough to get pressure in. As the pressure builds, the bead will seat completely and you can remove the strap.

Disclaimer: This has worked for me for tires up to LT sizes; your motorhome tires may be too big and too stiff. But it's worth a shot.
I have used this method on my back tractor tires and it works well. I was reluctant to advise anyone else to do it because you have to really tighten the ratchets down pretty tight some times to get thicker wall tires to push the bead out. When you add air those rachets get really tight really fast. I know that is going to happen so I just shoot a little air in quickly and get back. Quickly. I also make sure to take the valve core out when i do that. All you need is for the bead to set then you can take the strap off. put the core back in and air it up while it is still on the jack of course.

It sounds like the original poster got a tire shop that did excellent work for a very reasonable price. Was probably the way to go if he had problems with his valve stems then he might have had a leak while he was going down the road.

A word of advice to the original poster if he is still reading this thread. I do not care if it is Motor home, car, pickup, motorcycle, tractor, 4 wheeler. When I have new tires put on I always have them put in new valve stems. Before I pay for the tires I check to make sure the technicain has not forgotten to do that. If they have we wait until they do.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglhvn1 View Post

Valves were not the right type to be use with balancing powder. First time I checked the pressure the valve didn't close and I lost all air. I'm glad I checked the air at campsite and not on the road.
Two suggestions.

Get yourself a tire pressure monitoring system, TPMS.

Get rid of the balancing powder and replace with Dyna Beads.

Tire Balancing Products

Dr4Film ----- Richard