Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Flat tire

I have a 2004 Pace Arrow gas class a motorhome. My valve stem broke on my front left tire. My question is, how do you remove the wheel cover. Does it require a special tool or can you pop the cover with a tire iron or screwdriver. I was going to try to take the tire off and get it repaired. Limited mech ability. Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for two of the chrome nuts with dimples in them, some have four. I use a 1-1/8" socket to remove mine. On some the chrome cover come off the retaining nut.

Chuck

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:22 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have covers over the lug nuts. Several of them will come off to expose keeper lugs that hold the wheel covers on. As mentioned these are the ones with dimples on them. There is a rubber coated tool used to remove these. Once they are off you remove the keepers and then the cover come off to expose the rim underneath.

Do you have roadside service? If so then call them to take it it off. IF you have 22.5's it is a very heavy tire so be very careful if you have limited experience or ability.

Personally I have experience, the tools and the aptitude and I don't mess with my MH tires. I call AAA plus where I am a member. They can replace it or tow me where it can be done.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Thank you for the information and advise. I will call for a repair truck. It is a great resource to use the knowledge and experince of fellow rver's.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdel41 View Post
Thank you for the information and advise. I will call for a repair truck. It is a great resource to use the knowledge and experince of fellow rver's.
Good idea. If the weight doesn't get you, the torque on the lug nuts will. If I remember correctly, it is something like 430 lb-ft for 22.5" wheels. You need either a torque multiplier to get the lug nuts off or a very long pipe to put over the handle of your wrench.

If you have roadside assistance, the service call is covered. They will only charge you to remove the wheel and repair the tire. We had tires repaired twice, and the charge was only around $25.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another comment. If this tire is flat I mean the MH has it weight pushing it down to pancake like proportions then make sure the inner part of the tire is well inspected before you put it back on. Even more important if the MH has rolled any with it flat.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #7

byI can teach a teenage girl how to remove a 22.5 inch tire torqued to 5oo ft/lbs!

Leverage is a wonderful thing.

Ed
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never attempt it myself! That's what I pay GS ERS for!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I remove/replaced truck tires as a teenager with a huge spinner and a cheater pipe ...put the spinner on the nut, grab the arm of the spinner opposite the cheater pipe, then stand/jump on the cheater pipe with both feet. I probably couldn't even manage to stand on it now, much less hold it while trying to jump on it! I have no idea what torque resulted with that method, or with the huge air wrench we also used (when we could keep the boss's son from taking it apart "for maintenance" ...take apart he could do, reassemble properly was another matter...).
Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
byI can teach a teenage girl how to remove a 22.5 inch tire torqued to 5oo ft/lbs!

Leverage is a wonderful thing.

Ed

knowing how and knowing your personal limitations or interest are different things. The OP suggest limited ability not education which is just smart to realize and admit.

Me I call the AAA and if they send a teenage girl so be it.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anything is easy, if you have the proper equipment. I have had to change one of my 19.5 tires on my Pace. I carry a 12 ton air/oil jack, 2 5000# jack stands, and two smaller jack stands. I put the smaller jack stand under the
socket extension, and put a pipe on the ratchet, loosening the lug nuts. I raised the tire an inch or two, and wiggled it off. Lined up the spare, and lowered the axle to line up the tire, and wiggled it on. No problems at all. This was on a Walmart parking lot. That said, I will never do it again, unless
my phone won't reach the Road Service #. I did impress a lot of Ladies, tho.
Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will say get a jack under the axle quick.. As for removing 450 Ft/Lb nuts.

no problem 3/4 inch air impact. 150 PSI 4 Gallon Compressor, some hose and the proper size socket and they pop right off.

In fact 1/2 inch industral Air Impact will do it with 150 PSI behind it but ... not supposed to do that.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Don't do it even with equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
Anything is easy, if you have the proper equipment. I have had to change one of my 19.5 tires on my Pace. I carry a 12 ton air/oil jack, 2 5000# jack stands, and two smaller jack stands. I put the smaller jack stand under the
socket extension, and put a pipe on the ratchet, loosening the lug nuts.

I have larger alcoa rims( see instructions here http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/cat...al-English.pdf
and would never be able to use that equipment to remove rims.

At the shop where I have service performed that is beyond my ability, the fellow puts down his 3/4 drive and goes for the big boy 1" drive connected to a 36 gallon 5 HP compressor. It makes the job look like buttering hot rolls. smooth and easy.

Sure I have the jacks, the stands and even the 3/4 but will never attempt to remove a wheel. He told be I would have to have a 6 foot long bar to break the nut loose. Not my kind of work.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdel41 View Post
I have a 2004 Pace Arrow gas class a motorhome. My valve stem broke on my front left tire. My question is, how do you remove the wheel cover. Does it require a special tool or can you pop the cover with a tire iron or screwdriver. I was going to try to take the tire off and get it repaired. Limited mech ability. Thanks in advance for any help.
Others have explained the wheel cover removal options and good to know since you can't depend on a tire shop to know these things and you'll just have to trust me on this. Still, if you're going to be RVing, then strongly consider road hazard insurance, such as COACH NET and my pick of the litter. Just one incident in five years will pay for it, not to mention the piece of mind for being stuck out in Death Valley somewhere.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote