Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Flat tire on Maiden voyage INS no help!

My wife and I picked up our Tiffin Breeze on the 26th in Memphis, Tenn. and started back to Virginia. As luck would have it when we stopped to eat tonight (28th) I noticed the right side outer rear tire was flat. It had a large hole where something obviously punctured the tire.

I figured no problem and called my Blue Sky RV Ins people. Their roadside service could either tow me, inflate the tire, or install a spare provided by myself.

I purchased RV specific insurance because I was under the impression they would come and either patch my tire or provide a replacement to get me back on the road. My INS agent kept asking me why Tiffin didn't provide a spare. I replied they would need to supply an inner rear, outer rear, and front mounted spare to cover all situations. He didn't seem to understand.

Did I choose poorly for RV insurance or is this the norm?
jstlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstlookin View Post
My wife and I picked up our Tiffin Breeze on the 26th in Memphis, Tenn. and started back to Virginia. As luck would have it when we stopped to eat tonight (28th) I noticed the right side outer rear tire was flat. It had a large hole where something obviously punctured the tire.

I figured no problem and called my Blue Sky RV Ins people. Their roadside service could either tow me, inflate the tire, or install a spare provided by myself.

I purchased RV specific insurance because I was under the impression they would come and either patch my tire or provide a replacement to get me back on the road. My INS agent kept asking me why Tiffin didn't provide a spare. I replied they would need to supply an inner rear, outer rear, and front mounted spare to cover all situations. He didn't seem to understand.

Did I choose poorly for RV insurance or is this the norm?
" I replied they would need to supply an inner rear, outer rear, and front mounted spare to cover all situations. He didn't seem to understand.

....I'm not quite sure I understand what you meant as well, the wheels work on all four corners by simply turning them around. Sorry for your bad luck, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially just picking up the unit. Good luck in the future, we've all encountered those bad situations. That comes with the territory.
David G.

justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have polished aluminum wheels you could say front outer polished, rear inner polished for the outer wheel, and machine finished or steel for the inner dual that aside they would still all be interchangeable.

If you had a "large" hole it might not be repairable certainly not aired up. While your insurance/warranty would pay for the service truck to come out they would not pay for an actual tire repair or the cost of a replacement tire unless you have a tire plan also.

I agree lousy maiden trip
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Same thing happened to me as we were warming up the engine to head out on a 800 mile one way trek I checked the tires and found that an inside dual was flat.

CoachNet told me since it had a bolt sticking out of the tire it would require a new tire which would be my expense. HOWEVER, they did the calling around... found a tire and had the service guy drive 2 hr round trip to pick up the tire. He mounted it on my coach and patched the old one.

I found out later that my extended warranty would have covered the cost of the tire.

Hope your luck improves.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the above is why we just added a spare tire rack under our coach with a new 22.5 tire (no rim).
Old 01-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
paz

To my knowledge, the road service provided by most RV insurance is fairly limited. It may provide towing in the event of an accident, and possibly for a breakdown, but the towing is usually only for a limited distance.

Emergency road service is a different story. They will pay for the road call for many problems including flat tires, accidents and breakdowns. The repair and/or replacement of the tire is at your expense, but they pay for the road call. They also pay for towing, and usually for a longer distance than insurance.

We have Coach Net and have used them for 2 flats, both of which we fortunately noticed while we were parked. They wouldn't send out a truck until they located a replacement tire even though I was 99% sure the damaged tire was repairable in both instances. Coach Net coverage also includes the toad.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #7

Since you just bought your coach, and it is a Tiffin Breeze, I am under the assumption that you are the first owner. Tiffin usually gives you one year of Coach-Net free with your new coach. Your dealer should have explained this to you during your inital instructions on the coach. Check with Tiffin to make sure. In the future, call Coach-Net, they will explain their coverage and your options. I have had to call them a few times and they are always helpful.
Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To cover tire hazards, you need specific tire insurance. Normal road service and chasis insurance do not cover tires.

A tire mounted on a steel rim should fit any spot on the coach unless you have custom rims.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think the confusion may be the difference between RV specific insurance that covers you in case of traffic accidents and a company that provides Roadside Assistance Coverage. The two big roadside assistance companies for RVs are Coach Net and Good Sam Roadside.
2chiefsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think the key words are "road hazards." You stated that it appeared that someone punctured your tire. I would think that "tire slashing," would be covered under the normal insurance. That is something you will have to take up with your insurance company.

Most coaches do not come with a spare, especially the 22.5" tires. Just to bulky and heavy to handle. A lot of people will throw just the tire in one of the bays - in case. One thing to do is to call your provider (road side assistance, or isurance) and inform them that you need a mobile tire repair capable of handling your RV. Also ask them to have the mobile repair contact you before leaving the shop. Once that has been established, when the mobile repair calls (which the usually do anyhow) tell them the size tire that you need. Also remember that to drive on one dual after the other dual has gone flat (on the same side) that you have weakened the inflated tire. It needs to be inspected inside and outside by a professional to determin it's condition. Most of the time you will not see any damage, but do expect that shortly that tire will give way. Mine did.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I have a better understanding of what to expect now and will get in touch with Tiffin to see if I'm covered by Coach Net or not.
jstlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Allstate RV Roadhelp is also another good ERS.
With it you also get a 10% KOA discount card
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #13

Think twice before using Allstate even with RV add on. They have a poor rep for assistance. Left me overnight on side of interstate without help in TX. Went to Good Sam next day and they have not failed me yet.
There are some cases where wheels are not interchangable. For instand on my 02 Ford you must use one steel rim and one aluminum rim (thicker) on the duals. Alum's are interchangable but will have unpolished side out in some positions.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote