Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Im changing my 22.5 tires. Anyone keep the best one as a spare?
Thx, rB
ramblinboy
I've replaced all 6 22.5 tires twice.
Each time I picked the best looking take-off and carry it, (unmounted), in a storage bay.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach Net will send a tire guy.. Michellin will send a tire guy too I suspect, (If they offer that service, some tire companies do).

Good Sam's I'm not sure about.. But I suspect they will send a tire guy.

THE PROBLEM:

In some areas they may not have a tire guy, epically at 3am on Sunday Morning.. I was a police dispatcher (State) in Detroit MI and we kept a database of service providers who could respond at that hour. We had to keep updating it as some folks decided to discontinue 24 hour and others came "on line" with that program.

Lots of fun.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Coach Net will send a tire guy.. Michellin will send a tire guy too I suspect, (If they offer that service, some tire companies do).
Good Sam's I'm not sure about.. But I suspect they will send a tire guy.
Lots of fun.
wa8yxm
Correct!

Most, (all?), ERS's will pay to send a "tire guy" to you.
And the ERS will pay that "tire guy" to repair your flat tire OR remove the wheel/tire and put on your "mounted spare", (if you have one).
However, if your tire can't be repaired and you don't carry a spare tire mounted on a wheel, you will pay for a tire AND for any other labor necessary to get you back on the road.

BTW, if/when an ERS does send a tow truck, they ONLY pay for the TOW to a shop qualified to do the necessary repair, (NOT for the repair itself)!

IMO and experience, RV owners need a check book and/or a warranty, (OR an extended warranty), to pay for any additional labor, (as well as needed tires, parts, fluids, etc.), because ERS's will not/do not pay for much!

BTW, most RV owners expect far more than they will actually get from their ERS.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
Any recommendations of a good RV service company; like Good Sam, Coach-Net, etc that I could sign up with?
Looking at your location, you are in California. I know if you try online Coach-Net will not sign you up as a new member since you live in California. They will however renew any existing members. I posted on their Facebook page today and they deleted the post when I asked about when they would accept new California Members.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #19
Commercial Member

One thing to remember if you have a failure of a dual and put a tire on that is more than 3/4" difference in OC you are overloading and possibly damaging the larger tire of the pair.
RV Tire Safety: Dual tire

Ideally if the tire you are replacing is not matched by size you need to keep speed below 50 and stop and swap tires around as soon as possible. Now I know this is not easy and could be a bit more expensive than just slapping a tire on but I bet you would really not want a 2nd failure a few days or couple of weeks later.

If you have un-matched tires in dual position you might consider swapping the pair of fronts to one side of drive axle then the unmatched tires to the front where OC match is not critical. If you are concerned about safety of the tires on the front then you can "shop" for good tires the next day after you get off the interstate.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #20

I have Progressive ERS as part of my policy and use it recently for a flat tire. They wanted to tow me but I wanted someone to come to me and I just nicely insisted. They called their local contacts and none could do the job. I asked if they would reimburse me if I got someone to come out and the answer was YES. I called a local truck tire shop and they sent a guy right out, replaced the failed schrader valve and checked all the other tires. I plan to stick with Progressive and suggest you submit a claim for reimbursement.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
One thing to remember if you have a failure of a dual and put a tire on that is more than 3/4" difference in OC you are overloading and possibly damaging the larger tire of the pair.
RV Tire Safety: Dual tire

Ideally if the tire you are replacing is not matched by size you need to keep speed below 50 and stop and swap tires around as soon as possible. Now I know this is not easy and could be a bit more expensive than just slapping a tire on but I bet you would really not want a 2nd failure a few days or couple of weeks later.

If you have un-matched tires in dual position you might consider swapping the pair of fronts to one side of drive axle then the unmatched tires to the front where OC match is not critical. If you are concerned about safety of the tires on the front then you can "shop" for good tires the next day after you get off the interstate.
And that's why I don't carry a spare tire in my RV, even though there's a rack for it between the frame rails. My luck, a flat would be on a rear dual and the spare would be too big or too small. Easier to call for ERS.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
And that's why I don't carry a spare tire in my RV, even though there's a rack for it between the frame rails. My luck, a flat would be on a rear dual and the spare would be too big or too small. Easier to call for ERS.

Wouldn't you have the same problem if ERS brought you out a new tire that was a different diameter than what you have? There are no guarantees they will arrive roadside with a "proper" spare by this definition.

I think it would make more sense to carry an actual spare that matches your mounted tires. That's why I carry a spare...but still have ERS come out to change it for me in the event if a failure.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Foremost Insurance has just what you need in their free road side assistance part of their insurance. Used them just two weeks ago.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #24

I don't have but plan to carry a mounted spare for the MH only when towing my trailer, no room on the coach for a spare at all. I can remove and mount a wheel, but that decision will be made at the time of a failure.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Net or Good Sam ERS is needed, I have had both with good service from either one. Roadside service provided via insurance is typically not RV oriented.

Then the decide if to carry a spare tire or tire/wheel. Many threads here on the pros and cons. I myself carry a spare.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #26

Quote:
BFlinn181
Most MH owners, who carry a spare, carry one that IS the right size...
Why on earth, if you carried one, would YOU carry one that's to big or to small?
(which BTW is what your ERS might bring to you)!
Am I missing something?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
BFlinn181
Most MH owners, who carry a spare, carry one that IS the right size...
Why on earth, if you carried one, would YOU carry one that's to big or to small?
(which BTW is what your ERS might bring to you)!
Am I missing something?
Mel
'96 Safari
Perhaps. I've had 3 flats in 2 years. In the first case, both tires on the right rear blew. I had 2 new tires installed. These tires were brought to me at remote spot 30 miles south of Lander, WY, they had no issues bringing me two 19.5 tires same size and age. The third tire was a rear tire that didn't blow but developed a tennis ball sized bulge on the interior sidewall. It was again a not hard tire to find and have mounted on the side of the road south of Olympia, WA. That tire didn't size match the inner tire. (Wear, not numbers) When I returned home I had two new ones put on the back and the tire mounted in WA put on the front. I do like to keep the duals the same size.

Carrying a spare, I might not need it for years. by the time I did, it might be aged out. If I'm spending money, I'd rather buy a new one than one that's been under the RV for a number of years.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Perhaps. I've had 3 flats in 2 years. In the first case, both tires on the right rear blew. I had 2 new tires installed. These tires were brought to me at remote spot 30 miles south of Lander, WY, they had no issues bringing me two 19.5 tires same size and age. The third tire was a rear tire that didn't blow but developed a tennis ball sized bulge on the interior sidewall. It was again a not hard tire to find and have mounted on the side of the road south of Olympia, WA. That tire didn't size match the inner tire. (Wear, not numbers) When I returned home I had two new ones put on the back and the tire mounted in WA put on the front. I do like to keep the duals the same size.

Carrying a spare, I might not need it for years. by the time I did, it might be aged out. If I'm spending money, I'd rather buy a new one than one that's been under the RV for a number of years.
BFlinn181
Understood

I had the unfortunate experience of having to purchase TWO NEW TIRES after ONE blew out while traveling.
1st.... the wrong size overpriced tire that the "mobile tire guy", (sent by my ERS), brought and put on to get me rolling again.
2nd... a tire the same brand and size as my other 5, at a tire shop 75 miles further down the road.

That is the reason I carry an unmounted spare, (which is the best tire of the aged out set removed when I purchased the new tires).

Our differing opinions are based on totally opposite "on the road tire replacement experiences".

Mel
'96 Safari