Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Flat Tire Problem

I have a Fleetwood 40X RV and was recently on a trip with family and had a blown out tire on the rear axle of the coach. Thankfully I heard something and was able to pull off at the next off ramp. The blowout was on the inside tire of the driver side rear.
I had or have Progressive insurance and they were little to no help with the problem. All they wanted to do was to tow the RV to the nearest Pep Boys, I told them this would not work and I wanted them to send someone to put a new tire on the blow out. They said no, all they can do is tow me somewhere. I ended finding a guy in the area that came out and changed the tire, thankfully he had a good used spare tire that got me home that night.
I have since dumped the goodyears for Michellin's, will keep a spare goodyear tire casing in the RV from now on, and getting the TPMS sensors.
As I look for new insurance, I am trying to find a company that will dispatch a service to change out my tire casing on the side of the road if I get a flat. I talked with Coach-net today, they didn't sound good, they want to tow the coach also. They did say they would dispatch someone to come out and change my tire but I would have to pay for it. What is the point, with internet and cell coverage I can find my own guy to come out and fix the tire.

Any recommendations of a good RV service company; like Good Sam, Coach-Net, etc that I could sign up with?
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

I have had good service from Coach Net. A blown tire should be a roadside repair, not a tow job. MHs with 22.5" tires are not a DIY job for most RVers. A search of this forum will reveal lots of discussion on this topic.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used both Good Sam and Coach-Net ERS will good results for tire service and towing. I moved to Coach-Net as they also offer tech support service. However I have not had vocation to use the tech support service so can't speak to it's quality
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I've had good luck with Good Sam Roadside Assistance on two different flats. Once 35 miles out in the middle of no where in Wyoming, they had a Goodyear truck to me 40 minutes after I called. Second time was in Washington St. Again, a Goodyear service truck within 20 minutes of calling that time. No talk of towing, just needed new tire, mounted and inflated.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo13 View Post
I have a Fleetwood 40X RV and was recently on a trip with family and had a blown out tire on the rear axle of the coach. The blowout was on the inside tire of the driver side rear.
I had or have Progressive insurance and they were little to no help with the problem. All they wanted to do was to tow the RV to the nearest Pep Boys,
As I look for new insurance, I am trying to find a company that will dispatch a service to change out my tire casing on the side of the road if I get a flat. I talked with Coach-net today, they didn't sound good, they want to tow the coach also. They did say they would dispatch someone to come out and change my tire but I would have to pay for it. What is the point, with internet and cell coverage I can find my own guy to come out and fix the tire.
Any recommendations of a good RV service company; like Good Sam, Coach-Net, etc that I could sign up with?
Mojo13
After reading the last sentence of your post I see that you realize that you need ERS, (emergency road side assistance), as well as good RV insurance.

However don't expect any ERS to allow you to find your "own guy" to do anything they will be paying for.

AND don't expect them to pay for more than a tow OR whatever it costs to send someone to try to fix your problem to your location....
No mechanical work, (other than taking off a wheel with a flat tire and putting on your already mounted tire/wheel).
NO other necessary labor
NO no tires, fluids, parts, etc.

When you call your ERS and explain problem you are having, the customer service rep will tell you:
What
they are going to do.
IF they will be sending a tow truck, or someone to try to fix your problem.
AND, If they determine you need a tow... where they will be towing your coach.

YOU DON'T MAKE THE DECISIONS, THEY DO!.....they do not want, (nor will they accept), your requests, suggestions or ideas.

Your only job is to make the yearly payment... and that's all they want out of you.

Nevertheless I would not leave home without both CoachNet and RV Insurance.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

i can't believe anyone would pull out of the driveway without a spare mounted on a wheel!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

I have goodsams as well. Had a blow out on the drive front on the way to FL this past fall. Called they had a man out in about 45 minutes. They got all info about tire size and the big truck showed up and had me back on the road in about an hour. Infant the price was not bad and he had another tire on the truck and he changed that out on the driver front. One blow out on the front was all the excitement I want for a life time.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
i can't believe anyone would pull out of the driveway without a spare mounted on a wheel!
The size, weight, and inflation needs of large Class A RV's are best left to professional tire folks. While a dedicated DIYer, there are some things I leave to professionals.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

Certainly not to start an argument but, here's a different story; albeit one that may never happen again: Last year in California, Coach Net wanted to tow us 150 miles to Oakland when our fuel pump failed. The driver of the big tow truck they sent said "You don't want to go to Oakland. My boss has a shop just up the road and we work on RV's all of the time". Coach Net had never heard of the business, but quickly agreed to a much shorter tow. The shop allowed us to plug in for the weekend, and did a satisfactory repair. The owner even hauled my car trailer to his house since there wasn't room at his shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
....However don't expect any ERS to allow you to find your "own guy" to do anything they will be paying for.

When you call your ERS and explain problem you are having, the customer service rep will tell you:
What
they are going to do.
IF they will be sending a tow truck, or someone to try to fix your problem.
AND, If they determine you need a tow... where they will be towing your coach.

YOU DON'T MAKE THE DECISIONS, THEY DO!.....they do not want, (nor will they accept), your requests, suggestions or ideas.

Mel
'96 Safari
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
I have not had a driveway for over a decade. Nor have I had a spare tire and rim. Finding space and weight capacity for a 22.5" tire and wheel is something I choose to avoid. Having Coach Net's phone number is something I carry. Coach Net membership is smaller, lighter, and can torque lug nuts to 475 ft/lbs. Yes, roadservice means a delay in my plans. However, with proper tire inflation and tire loads, tire failures have been a rare event in my world.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:

Uh...WHICH wheel? On many DP chassis the front wheels are not the same as the rears.

An unmounted tire? Yes...that makes sense, but not a mounted tire on a wheel.

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
unmounted spare

Im changing my 22.5 tires. Anyone keep the best one as a spare?
Thx, rB
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Community Moderator

i learned from this board before that big tires do blow albeit infrequently. i picked up a used tire with 50% tread left but recent date code for $50 from craigslist. i have plenty of storage so i carry it as a spare. sometimes the shop near you can't help not because they can't do it but because no right size for your wheel.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

Maybe I will give Coach-Net a try, it sounds like they have helped some of you in the past. I did learn that keeping a spare is important as the guy who came to help me didn't have my tire size at first, but then was able to find on old ratty tire that I was able to get home on. Just on unmounted tire that can be put on at roadside.
Mojo13 is offline   Reply With Quote