Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Flat tire question?

I seem to have a slow leak in one of my tires (right front), it was a bit low when I checked it a couple of days ago (down about 10 psi), I aired it back up then today when I came back to prep it for a trip next week the tire was completely flat. I have aired it back up and it seems to be holding air for now.

Now for the question are tires on 19.5 inch wheels safe to drive on if they have ever went completely flat while being stored, or will there likely be side wall damage? This tire was just put on the coach a couple of thousand miles ago in August.

I am about to go back and check for air loss after an hour, if it has lost minimal air I plan to drive it to the local truck tire shop about 10 miles away in the morning and get them to check it out unless someone says this is a bad idea.

Ike
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

Ike, I wouldn't worry about driving it 10 miles, as long as it has sufficient air. If you can get at least 50 lbs. it should be safe.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

My opinion is if you didn't drive on it while it was flat then no harm.

From the sound of your description, have you checked the tire valve? Since it is the right front tire, I doubt there are tire valve extenders on it, right? If no extenders then I would spit on my finger and apply the spit to the tire valve opening and see if the valve is leaking and bubbling. Easy to do and very very cheap! If the tire valve is leaking, tightening it so it is just snug is usually all it takes.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I think the tire needs to be replaced. If I remember correctly 20 % lost pressure is considered flat. I would contact a tire dealer and have it inspected. If it is a steer tire at least move it to the rear.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

Just to clarify the tire went flat while the coach was in its storage shed, pressure was fine on my last trip about 2 weeks ago, then I noticed it was down about 10 psi 2 or 3 days ago, I aired it back up, then it was flat this evening when I went to start prepping the coach for next weeks trip.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Just to clarify the tire went flat while the coach was in its storage shed, pressure was fine on my last trip about 2 weeks ago, then I noticed it was down about 10 psi 2 or 3 days ago, I aired it back up, then it was flat this evening when I went to start prepping the coach for next weeks trip.
Isaac-,
No need to get flustered over this. It's leaky tire, nothing more. By the sound of your description, you may, or may NOT have an actual leak. It could be just the valve core that may have a tiny piece of debris in it. Air the thing up, then get a spray bottle with some soapy water solution in it and, spray the tire down and the valve stem. That way, you will gain first hand knowledge (or should anyways) of where your possible leak could be. It won't take but a minute or two to do this. And, even if that tire went completely flat while parked, no big deal. If tires were go bad that easy, people would be new tires every ten minutes. Because if sidewall damage could occur that easy, we'd all be searching for tires every other week. You'll be fine.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #7

I agree that if you aired it up and then later in the day when you went back and it was flat, that's several hours. Before you go to the tire shop, air it up to proper PSI. Drive your 10 miles. You should be fine. Take it slow, and keep you speed at a minimum JIC. When you get there, they'll dismount it and they'll be able to see if any inner side wall damage was done to give you piece of mind. I feel your pain. It's easy to worry about stuff like this.

Be sure to report back on what they found.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #8

Following up, I drove the coach into the tire shop this morning, they could not find a leak, so I had them change out the valve core as a precaution (it had lost about 3 psi since 6 pm last night, temperature was only slightly cooler this morning than it was at 6 pm yesterday). Upon removing the old valve core we found the rubber / plastic ring around the outside to be shredded, I am hopeful this was the cause of the problem and that it was not reliably seating.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can find information about tire stems, soft tire blow outs and other questions you may have in this link a nail leak on flat tire tread portion of tire can be plugged after pulling nail out, they have kits to do it, if its necessary a patch can be placed on interior of tire wall, a tire that goes flat can cause steel bands to weaken if left to long in that condition.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Potential SAFETY issue

What is the sidewall material? Steel or Polyester. It says on the tire sidewall what materials are used.

If a steel body tire goes flat when loaded the steel can be kinked. This could result is explosive failure

I would consider the tire scrap and it should be rendered un-usable and non-repairable.