RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #1

Flat Tow a Mini Cooper AWD?

Can anyone confirm that a Mini Cooper Countryman and/or Clubman with All Wheel Drive and Standard Transmission can be flat towed? Any best years or years to avoid? Thanks!

SCKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Check with Roadmaster and BlueOx to see if they make a base plate for the Mini. If yes, they will list trans requirement. If you are an FMCA member, they will have “toads” and acceptable year/trans requirements listed. If you have not purchased Mini yet, check out 14 Honda CRV. Lots out there coming of lease with low mileage

Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Motorhome Magazine publishes a dinghy towing guide each year. I suggest you check out the year and model of car your interested in as a Toad and check in here. Then check the owner's manual of the car to be sure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

Thank you for that input. However the published lists seem to differ from what the car mfgs advise. Also Mini Cooper says that none of their cars can be towed, yet lots of RVers tow them successfully.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer that!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCKC View Post
Thank you for that input. However the published lists seem to differ from what the car mfgs advise. Also Mini Cooper says that none of their cars can be towed, yet lots of RVers tow them successfully.
If Mercedes says none can be flat towed, then make sure you buy one out of warranty. While the Mini is cute, a few friends and relatives that have owned them find parts and service to be very expensive.

Are you sure they are towing AWD versions? Perhaps they have transmission lube pumps that can add over $1000 to prep for towing?

Bob & Donna
Old 07-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We towed our MINI for the 2 or 3 years we had it with the motorhome but we did so with a tow dolly. It was a Super S, 6 speed, it barely cleared the dolly so we decided to trade it. We now flat tow a Jeep Wrangler, if you are in the PA area we have a great dolly for sale! LOL!
On the Road with 9 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
UAV

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Can anyone confirm that a Mini Cooper Countryman and/or Clubman with All Wheel Drive and Standard Transmission can be flat towed? Any best years or years to avoid? Thanks!
From what I know and learned from Mini, you cannot tow any mini except for the Mini Cooper with FWD and a manual transmission. If I could have done a Clubman I would have;however, after learning what I did, we opted for a Cooper S, FWD with manual transmission.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:29 AM   #9

Quote:
We successfully tow a 2010 Mini stick shift.
Rbrkeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrkeel View Post
We successfully tow a 2010 Mini stick shift.

Is your 2010 AWD? That was the OP's original question.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If Mercedes says none can be flat towed, then make sure you buy one out of warranty. While the Mini is cute, a few friends and relatives that have owned them find parts and service to be very expensive.

Are you sure they are towing AWD versions? Perhaps they have transmission lube pumps that can add over $1000 to prep for towing?
Unless something odd happened while I was in Alaska and out of range, BMW owns Mini Cooper, not Mercedes. I know, I know, all those German car companies look alike.........
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Unless something odd happened while I was in Alaska and out of range, BMW owns Mini Cooper, not Mercedes. I know, I know, all those German car companies look alike.........
You are correct, I had a brain fart when I posted the Mercedes comment. I used to mess about with Mini Coopers when they were built in Britain by Morris. They were spartan but held the road like a go-cart, which they basically were. When the new Minis came out a Denver friend went to Salt Lake to get one since none were available in Denver. Fun little car, until the engine blew. $12,000 for a new engine if he had BMW do the work.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the input. We ended up getting a 2018 Toyota Carolla iM. Reasons ... price point compared to older Minis, very little inventory in our area on anything with a manual transmission, dinghy guide lists the Carolla iM for towing all four down, and the Carolla manual confirmed it! And of course, its bright green color played into the decision.
Safe travels!

Tags
awd, clubman, cooper, countryman, mini, tow