Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fleetwood dash radio

I have a 2003 Pace Arrow on a Workhorse chassis. I don't know if my radio is stock or not, but it is the most un-user friendly radio I have ever used.

In addition to not having an on/off button in a logical place, all the buttons are scattered around with type so small that I can only read it with reading glasses (not good when you are driving). Further it only holds one CD at a time, which is a pain.

Even my BMW radio is more intuitive with all of it's menus.

I would be interested if others have found better radios to install in the hole, and if Best Buy or similar places are qualified to install in RV's.

Did I mention that the two round wall speakers have terrible sound.

Thanks,

Craig
Craig36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #2

Craig36: my fleetwood southwind must have the same junky radio as yours (03 model). Just about any automotive radio/cd player should fit the hole. They usually have faceplates. I have been thicking of changing mine out also. Have memorized Volume button position & one or two most used. I believe most aftermarket radio's have connector plugs, so it should be reatively e-z, but you know how that goes. Talk with installers in your area @ aftermarket wheel,tire,stereo shops. These guys do it all the time. RV's no different than cars,pick-ups etc., just take up more shop space. Good luck.
woody92354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Mine still has a cassette player I defiantly need a new one dose any one know what radio will link up to the tv as well.
swaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I took my '95 Pace Arrow Coronado over to a local stereo shop (Sound Warehouse) and had them come into the MH. Installation is going to be pretty staight forward, an inexpensive harness will probably be needed to complete the connection. As for the speakers I will be able to use the existing speaker mounts, disconnecting the tweeters and replacing the 6" round with an integrated tweeter. (Hope that makes sense.)

If I go with an inexpensive JVC or Kenwood stereo/CD/AUX and 2 pairs of Clarion speakers (2 in front and 2 in the bedroom) I figure I'm in for about $200. That's all we need for part-timing.

Good luck and safe travels.
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood always installed a radio that was supplied by the lowest bidder. They had one of the worst radios in the industry. The good news is they are easy to replace. The first thing I did when I bought my 1998 Pace was to replace the radio and speakers. Anyone who is a little handy can do this. I added a earphone plug (about three dollars from radio shack) to mine. It kills the speakers when you plug in the earphones. I did this because my wife does not like all my music. I can enjoy my music while she reads her book. The grandkids love it, and I don't have to listen to their RAP music.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here's what I did on my Monaco:

The box is from Crutchfields and Home Depot color matched the paint.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestie View Post
Here's what I did on my Monaco:

The box is from Crutchfields and Home Depot color matched the paint.
WOW that is nice! Good idea too!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I have a 2003 Pace Arrow on a Workhorse chassis. I don't know if my radio is stock or not, but it is the most un-user friendly radio I have ever used.

In addition to not having an on/off button in a logical place, all the buttons are scattered around with type so small that I can only read it with reading glasses (not good when you are driving). Further it only holds one CD at a time, which is a pain.

Even my BMW radio is more intuitive with all of it's menus.

I would be interested if others have found better radios to install in the hole, and if Best Buy or similar places are qualified to install in RV's.

Did I mention that the two round wall speakers have terrible sound.

Thanks,

Craig
I think mine is the same thing, Craig, same speakers too. I think mine is a Panasonic, and it is terribly un-user-friendly, it has the faceplate detachment, and thats how I shut it off, just pop the faceplate off.

The radio sound is very cheap, and ditto on the two round speakers up front too.

Needs to be taken to a stereo shop, but I'm too afraid they'd interfere with some other wiring, so, I'll just deal with it.....I sure like Craig's Satellite Radio setup though....
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Fleetwood always installed a radio that was supplied by the lowest bidder. They had one of the worst radios in the industry. The good news is they are easy to replace. The first thing I did when I bought my 1998 Pace was to replace the radio and speakers. Anyone who is a little handy can do this. I added a earphone plug (about three dollars from radio shack) to mine. It kills the speakers when you plug in the earphones. I did this because my wife does not like all my music. I can enjoy my music while she reads her book. The grandkids love it, and I don't have to listen to their RAP music.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'04 Southwind with the upgrade radio, tape AND CD. Use the AUX input for Sat Radio and other audio sources. When we bought, tape was still popular for Books on Tape so we opted for the dual player. Haven't run a tape through it in more time than I can remember. After 8 years we have learned what most of the buttons do. Good thing as the text is wearing off the ones we use all the time.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, fleetwood, radio