Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Post Fleetwood Discovery vs. Tiffin Phaeton

Howdy! New to the group, but have been reading for a while. My wife and I are ready to make the purchasing leap after many years of renting, dreaming, and studying. We have narrowed our search down to two specific vehicles; the 2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40X or the Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH.

We would really appreciate any comparitive, objective input from owners of these brands; particularly purchase price negotiations, shake down issues, livability, regrets, or the like. We need our eyes fully open on this!

We live in the Houston area, and have pretty good access to different dealers, but are having a hard time getting prices below $200K (our high water mark). While I think I've figured out roughly what the units are worth, I wonder if this kind of price is even doable.

Anyway, I've appreciated everything that I've learned from this community and hope that I will eventually be able to contribute (as an owner!).

Black Cabby
(nothing owned, yet!!)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions. Best of luck to you both.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Howdy and welcome aboard.

Well let me say I have had 4 Fleetwood products and one Tiffin. I had a 2010 43 Tiffin Bus built and loved it but lost it in a fire. About that same time problems started filling the TRVN forums and made me go back to Fleetwood with my current 2011 American Coach.

They still don't have all the structure problems worked out for sure. I do not intend to bad mouth them they are a great company but I hate to read post from uninformed buyers also.

Tiffin has had many years of roof rails cracking and may or may not have it resolved yet. Also having side walls crack under the bedroom slides, Ceilings sagging and having to be ripped out and extra support put in.

A 2014 now has his floor under his fresh water tank sagging, I thought they had that fixed?

So do your homework Tiffin RV Network is a GREAT Site and they have the good bad and ugly on it so check it out.

I have had good luck with all my Fleetwood products and they too offer great customer support.

None are perfect for sure. Good Luck the lifestyle is Great.

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had a new Allegro Bus; kept it 6 months. Too many structural problems. Tiffin makes good on their issues but who wants to spend all of their time in Red Bay. Go with Fleetwood. Love my American Coach.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
American Coach is most likely far superior to the Phaeton, but then again AC is also far superior to the Discovery as well. Comparing AC to Fleetwood is like comparing apples to oranges. Just because the parent company for both is the same does NOT make them in the same category of fit/finish or lack of problems.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Visited a local dealer today - I was pretty surprised how nice the Phaeton was from a fit finish point of view. A little concerned though that the unit had been with them since 8/13. Still didn't make them very receptive to my offer....
Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

Let them stew! Go in and offer them a lower price. I'm the same way. Never lost anything in Red Bay. IMHO they are trying to save money thinking no one drives over 50,000 miles in the lifetime of an RV, why build it heavy. Besides the Govt. is going after fuel mileage on heavy trucks etc so they are probably experimenting with making it lighter.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

Hi, we're new to the board. We looked at a Fleetwood Discovery 40G today and were impressed. It was a 2014 model, they had several, and the price was just under 190k. I was undecided prior to the visit, but I think we may have found the one for us. Not sure what the difference is with the American Coach versus Discovery, but I can't see how we would improve on this one. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott001 View Post
Hi, we're new to the board. We looked at a Fleetwood Discovery 40G today and were impressed. It was a 2014 model, they had several, and the price was just under 190k. I was undecided prior to the visit, but I think we may have found the one for us. Not sure what the difference is with the American Coach versus Discovery, but I can't see how we would improve on this one. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
We're in full agreement here! I'm very impressed with the Fleetwood product. They are closer on price than the Tiffin folks. The Discovery drove beautifully - after many years in class A gassers, the air suspension is a wonderful upgrade.

I'm currious, what Dealers are you getting 190k prices? Those kinds of numbers would get me ready to do some paperwork!

Black Cabby
Old 03-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott001 View Post
we purchased a 2013 40 G and love it. Had an early issue with the FWS but Fleetwood totally took care of that. They sent a driver, picked it up, repaired it, and delivered it to my driveway. Love everything about this coach... Except not being able to use it more often! The Americans truly are a different animal. They are super luxury, with a price tag to match.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:01 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
AC is the high end product. These are like the Country Coach of ASV (Allied Specialty Vehicles). They are much more expensive than the Fleetwood line.

ASV has several lines of RVs: American Coach, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Fleetwood, R-Vision. They also produce emergency vehicles (fire/rescue), ambulances, school buses, etc. I am not sure but I suspect the RV line up shown here is most expensive to least expensive. My apologies if this is not correct.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #12

The problem I found with american coach is my head hit the ceiling in the rear baths
Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #13

If American is on your radar, you should also look at Newmar.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love our new 2013 Discovery 40e!

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, tiffin