Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Discovery Water Heater Question

I have a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40X. I have two switches to heat the water in my water heater. A on/off swith for electric and a on/off switch for propane. I currently have the propane switch off and the electric switch on. However, the propane can be heard kicking on to maintain the water temperature.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I'm wondering if the coach somehow senses that the electric heating element is bad and automatically kicks on the propane?

Any thoughts?
Wingbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #2

I can only comment on mine which is a 2006 Atwood 10gallon XT unit. The propane will not come on with the switch off, no matter what. If you are sure that it is the water heater propane coming on and not something else, based strictly on my water heater, I would guess the switch has arced closed. You could test it by opening the panel and disconnecting the wire harness from the propane switch.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That switch is either not working (stuck closed) or miswired and something else is providing +12v to the terminal on the heater that activates LP gas mode.

I would do two tests:
(1) Disconnect the switch and check for continuity, to see if it remains closed (zero resistance) in both the On and Off positions
(2) The brown wire to the heater controls should be the LP mode. Disconnect it and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you will need to trace back and find where it goes. Also, see if that wire has +12v on it when the LP switch is off.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

Read up on the schematics, they are available online. Mine was replaced with a new heater (by the dealer prior to delivery) and they wired it incorrectly and failed to install the new dual switch unit supplied with the heater.

Tags
fleetwood, heat, heater, water, water heater