Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood DP vs Winnebago DP

Hello,

Lurked here a little bit, but need some opinions on a couple of DP's I'm looking at that are roughly the same price and have floor plans I like.

Both ride on Freightliner chassis', have Cummins, 1 slide and 6 spd Allisons.

1. Is a 97 Fleetwood Discovery 37RS with 60k miles. 2nd owner has had it for the past 7.5 years and it has new tires (Michelin), newer batteries and next to zero miles on all filter and fluid changes (using Mobil 1). An added bonus is it has the Good Sam RV service and warranty plan until December of this year - and I can extend it.

2. Is a 99 Winnebago Ultra M38k with 141k miles. Allison was replaced at 110k. It looks so much nicer and more modern than the Fleetwood and has a floor plan I do like a litter better than the Fleetwood. probably has a couple of nicer features overall.

NADA shows the Winnebago with a much higher value, however, they do not allow for any difference on mileage (80k miles). I like the Winn much better, but the miles scare me and I have a better piece of mind with the Fleetwood, plus its local to me. The winn is about 6 hours away.

Thank you in advance.

Alex
clubracer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not in a position to really comment on either coach but at the amount of money involved how does 6 hours travel time really matter.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Just little time to be traveling to look at all of these... 13 flights for work in the past 5 weeks! So having something local that I can check out adds some value for me.

And if you don't know about either model, would you be scared to buy one of these with 141k on it? What about 180/200k when I go to sell it?

Thanks for the post and the welcome!!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

Did you check out the roof on both?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Discovery is Fleetwoods mid-range diesel in 97, while the Winnie Ultra was top of the line in its day. And RVs were advancing rapidly in technology and styling in the late 90's, so a 99 is a fair step from a 97.

As for the mileage, the basic engine has plenty left in it at 141k, but everything in & on the coach has been used a lot to go that far. That includes "engine things" like fuel pumps, alternators, hydraulic pumps, air compressor, etc., as well as the appliances and systems in the house. On the other hand, the Discovery must have sat around quite a bit to have so little mileage in 14 years.

It's a tough call.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Wow, some quick responses here!

I have not checked the roof on the Winn and mearly looked at it on the Fleetwood. Got a good feeling from the guy (Fleetwood owner) and he said it never had any leaks. He used it mostly to have a winter home down south and avoid our lovely Chicago winters, which is why the mileage is low.

Yes, it really is a tough call.

FWIW, we will only use this 6 to 8 times a year at the most. Maybe 4k miles per year if that. Of course that could change if we really love doing this, but we won't be traveling very far since I still work full time and have little ones.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubracer6 View Post
Just little time to be traveling to look at all of these... 13 flights for work in the past 5 weeks! So having something local that I can check out adds some value for me.

And if you don't know about either model, would you be scared to buy one of these with 141k on it? What about 180/200k when I go to sell it?

Thanks for the post and the welcome!!
I do understand the time factor I see you are getting some other answers already.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #8

I would buy a Winnebago Ultra over a Discovery, all things considered. A Discovery isn't a bad choice, but I think most would agree the Ultra is better. That said, why not search for a similar Ultra or equivalent but with lower mileage. The motorhome market is very, very soft now, and you may be surprised at how much your dollars will actually buy. I'm guessing the two coaches you mention are in the $30,000-35,000 range? There are quite a number of good coaches available under $40k these days. My preference is to travel a bit to get a good deal on the right coach.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you may have answered your own question when you said you liked the Winnebago better. WIth as little as you are going to use it, you will be more comfortable in the Winni. Who is to say which of the two will have or not have problems. It is just something you put away for when that day happens. It hurts just as much to not run an engine as it does to over-run one if the maintenance is not done on either. First things first, regardless of what the owner says, put it in the shop an have all the fluids and filters changed. You will have a better peace of mind.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #10

My goal is to pay 30k for the Fleetwood, which should be doable and I know I can get the Winn for about $35. Been looking at anything sub 55k and these two come closest to the floor plans/ options I want. I figure if I spend less, I can have good budget left for maint/repairs/updgrades..

Yeah Wayne I want the Winn, but there are many things in life we can want, but are not a good idea! ;-)

Great reponses - thank you so much for the input.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The winne may have less use of the coach. the FW has fewer miles but was used for Snowbirding. Soft trim items, appl. wear must faster than drive train.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's possible the Discovery has a 5.9L mechanical engine and not the ISB.
Cummins changed I think in the 98 year.

If both the 5.9L or ISB Cummins check both for the 53 block.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
It's possible the Discovery has a 5.9L mechanical engine and not the ISB.
Cummins changed I think in the 98 year.

If both the 5.9L or ISB Cummins check both for the 53 block.
I believe the 99 Winn has a CAT 7.2L 300HP

The Fleetwood has a Cummins 5.9 275hp

What's is 53 block?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #14

Small horsepower difference, but huge TORQUE difference between those motors. We've had both engines, and would choose the CAT, because it has far more torque. If you haven't owned a diesel pusher before this, you'll soon find that torque is where its at with these coaches. We tow a race car trailer, and found the bigger CAT engine vastly better suited to towing, driving in mountains, etc.