Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fleetwood draining on window issue

We have an issue with the Storm someone might be able to help with or give us guidance. There is a spout (using spout for a lack of a better word) located on each side of the coach over the front side windows. Now the issue… the air conditioner drains out the passenger side drain and directly onto the passenger window and down the side of the coach. When this accrues the drainage causes spotting and etching (like very bad water spots) on the passenger side window under this drain. We called Fleetwood last week and they did not address the drainage issue at all but put us on hold and came back sometime later and said to use vinegar to remove the etching/staining. We used Windex with Vinegar, a strong mix of vinegar and water, CLR, etc., and nothing removes this etching.

I cannot believe that Fleetwood would design the Roof AC to drain directly onto a window and side of the coach but that this must be a design flaw. I am not an engineer but would think the AC would be designed to drain out the bottom of the coach like it does on a car.

What can be done to remedy this issue and get the etching off of the window and side of the coach? All this mess and only a 3 month old coach…
I sent Generals RV’s Service adviser in Dover, FL (where we have been taking the RV and his reply: The gutter spouts are designed to keep the water away from the coach. I wonder why they are not doing that. If vinegar is not working on getting the windows cleaned, I have had to use a razor blade to get the film off. Be very careful, as the window can be scratched. I don’t know the answer to why, maybe the sealant is not full behind the gutter and it is dripping down the sidewall. Yes unfortunately they are designed to drain on the roof. There is no fix to that. I have seen people make dams, and paths using roof sealant, it works ok, but very cosmetically unappealing.

Bottom line is that I just cannot believe that Fleetwood would design the AC to drain so it permanently etches the window and side of the unit. Well this will make me check off Fleetwood (any REV Group products) for the list for our next coach.

Since we are new (3 months now) to this RV joy I am reaching out for any suggestions!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The vast majority of all roof top RV air conditioners do that.

They make an extender which clips on to the end of the roof drain rail that extends out away from the side a bit but, depending how level you are, they don't work good enough for me so I just wipe the sides off.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to try something like this Set of 2 RV Drip-Guard Gutter Spout Extenders - Gutter Downspouts - Amazon.com
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

As was said, most do it. Do your window with Rainex, and NuFinish on the body, and no more marks. It's unfortunate, but it is was it is.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just added a "gutter spout end" over the drivers side window on my'05 discovery. It had them on theother three corners and i suspect the drivers side was left off when my roof was replaced recently.

I bought the spout at camping world. You are supposed to unscrew the front of thegutter and slip the edge of the spout underneath. However, my gutter is so nicely sealed up, i couldn't bring myself to disturb it. So, i cut out the spout so it fit over the top of the gutter and is flush to the Coach above and below. I drove one self tapping screw above the gutter and sealed the heck out of the whole thing. So far so good but i haven't moved the mh since i did the job.

The dripping air conditioner had left a rusty streak down the paint and white streaks on the window. I buffed out the paint with a little compound followed by wax. Haven't worked on the window yet but i suspect a razor blade will do the trick.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spouts

My 15 Discovery has very little streaks I think because they are not using adhesives that streak is bad.
I put downspouts on my 11 Bounder.
That and my prior RV I used clothes pins on the downspouts to extend the water away from the Rv more.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some folks clip on a clothes pin to the spout to extend it.

I got some PEX tubing, and sliced it in half to make a trough.
Cut to the desired length, and silicone it to the spout for a bigger extension.

Regards,

Dan
Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

They didn't really design the a/c to drain anywhere except out onto the roof. From there, gravity takes over. High end coaches have pumps and drain lines to remove the a/c condensate without running down the sides, but not the Storm.

Jack the front of the coach a bit higher and the water should run to the back instead of the front.

Your glass probably isn't etched, but the chalky, dirty gunk that runs off the roof can be miserable to get off. Especially in areas with hard chemical or acid rains. Try a car polish or rubbing compound on the glass if the vinegar won't touch it. You might need something like Griots Glass Polish or 3M Glass Polishing Compound.

Griots Glass Polish
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

I've had great success cleaning the windows that appear to be etched using 0000 steel wool with soap and water. Rinse afterwards.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

Are you referring to the window by the driver or copilot seat. Mine has the gutter extensions and the water typically misses the whole side of the coach. Any chance of a photo?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks

Boy some great ideas on how to get rid of this issue. Just a shame that the design could not be different on the Fleetwood (and others per the posts) to eliminate this issue to begin with.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just a shame that the design could not be different on the Fleetwood (and others per the posts) to eliminate this issue to begin with.
It could, but you would have to send more money to the RV maker. As you move up the pecking list of models, you will find more and more of those nice features.

For what it's worth, residential and commercial a/c units are mostly designed the same way: the condensate just runs out wherever it may be. Ground, roof, whatever. Only when that is inside a living or working area is it pumped to the outside in some fashion.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It could, but you would have to send more money to the RV maker. As you move up the pecking list of models, you will find more and more of those nice features.

For what it's worth, residential and commercial a/c units are mostly designed the same way: the condensate just runs out wherever it may be. Ground, roof, whatever. Only when that is inside a living or working area is it pumped to the outside in some fashion.
You can buy a motorhome that has internal air conditioner drains but you pay additional for the extra work to create it.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

And they cost more to unclog when they clog up.

Tags
fleetwood, window