Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Fleetwood Flair doghouse removal

Am I correct in assuming the doghouse on my 2004 Fleetwood Flair is glued down? I am wanting to insulate it but after removing the top 'porthole' access panel, looking under it seems to indicate it is glued into place judging by the sealer that seems to be adhering the main doghouse to the RV floor. Has anyone been able to get it loose without ruining it? Being just bare fiberglass with some carpet glued to the top, it seems insulating it will greatly cut the noise and heat coming into the passenger area. It looks like it will be a bear to insulate it in place, quite easy if I can get it loose. Thanks, Gary.
garymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

I have 2004 Winn class A but my doghouse has a lock bar that use's a allen wrench to cam and unlock the doghouse. The allen wrench socket hole its is inbedded in the carpet on the aft part of the doghouse were the doghouse meets the floor. hope that helps
santees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Mine does not seem to have that. The top surface has a removable hatch that allows access. I'm thinking if the doghouse itself comes off there might be screws under the glued down carpet. I hate to start ripping at my good carpet if I'm not going to find anything there. Anyone here had the doghouse off a Flair (or other 04 Fleetwood model? Thanks, Gary.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

We have an 04 flair also . I would like to know myself for the same reason.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Fleetwood but it isn't a Flair. My dog house is screwed and glued down. You are right about insulation making things quieter. Mine was insulated at the factory and the cabin is plesently quiet when we travel. My last class A was built by Newmar and the entire dog house came off with with just 1 latch, a much better design.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

My Fleetwood Fiesta had the same problem. Check out my dog house removal and fix on the following post under Workhorse Custom Chassis
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/dog-house-removal-194490.html
retired2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #7

Retired...did you just use a putty knife to cut through the silicone?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

Also...Retired, is there a significant flange on the bottom edge of the doghouse that's going to force me to tear my carpet back some to get the doghouse loose? I hate to damage otherwise great condition carpet. I see you replaced your carpet when you pulled yours. I'm assuming you tore the original carpet up and had easy access to where the doghouse fastened down from inside the cab. If I do not pull my carpet up I'm assuming I'll have to work through the access hatch from inside of the engine compartment.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #9

Did a google search for 2004 fleetwood flair dog house removal. There is an old irv2 thread from 2011 called "dog house" one poster "wildmanbaker" has the same Rv and posted a question that " ha traveler" answered via private mail. You may want to read that thread and pm wildmanbaker as they can probably answer this but may not see your post
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #10

I used an oscillating multifunction power tool that I purchased from Harbor Freight. The blade is called a plunge blade that allows you to slip it under the lip of the dog house to break through the silicone. Had to pull back the carpet a couple of inches to get the blade under the lip Hope this helps...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #11

Thanks! Guess it's time to get busy... It's cooled off some here now and the fan screaming has subsided. Apparently it's performing as intended and it's mainly the lack of insulation that makes it so obnoxious. It would seem to me that bare fiberglass with just some carpet stuck on the outside wouldn't stop a whole lot of noise. I have high hopes for my efforts.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #12

We took our first trip since we added the sound proofing material under the dog house. What a difference it made. Can now talk to my wife without raising my voice. It was worth the effort.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #13

What type of soundproofing did you use ?

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

Installed some Dynamat sound proofing under the dog house. Also, added a strip of weather proofing under the edge of the dog house cover.

Tags
fleetwood, removal