Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Gauge

Where can a person acquire a gauge and sender for the Coolant on a 2002 Fleetwood Discovery 37t with a 3126E? Cat dealer claims NO....Not sure about Freightliner...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Hi, and Welcome to iRV2.
Freightliner chassis, cooling system is all Freightliner.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Sammax, I may have mis-read you post, are you trying to repair a coolant level sensor , or install one where there is not a sensor currently ?
Most have only an Idiot light, with a feed into the Engine Control Module that can de-rate the engine should the overflow tank , or top tank of the rad become low on coolant. Sorry

Anyhow for Freightliner help ( FREE ) call
1-800-FTL-HELP
1-800-385-4357
have your serial number handy. Take the time to join Access Freightliner also free to get online access to wiring digrams and a ton of other info on your chassis.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

I'm looking for a water temp gauge....I'm assuming the one on the dash is for the engine in the rear. Also a sender for the gauge....It just doesn't work. The gauge is reading 1/3 of the way over when the engine is off...Yes I'm sure there is a light on the dash panel. It comes on when I start the engine...This Diesel Class A is all new to me and ....
Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Call Freightliner Custom Chassis Customer Service for advice and parts
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sam ,
Hello, well on the newer models the gauge does not work untill you turn on the key. IF when you turn on the key does it go back to the bottom on the left of the gauge?? Or does it stay then while the M/H is running?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammax View Post
I'm looking for a water temp gauge....I'm assuming the one on the dash is for the engine in the rear. Also a sender for the gauge....It just doesn't work. The gauge is reading 1/3 of the way over when the engine is off...Yes I'm sure there is a light on the dash panel. It comes on when I start the engine...This Diesel Class A is all new to me and ....
Well all of us here still learning , and trying to help each other as we go.
The actual temp, sending unit , for the gauge ;should have been a Cat item, there may also be a temp. sensor for the Engine Control Module also Cat. the E.C.M. shares info with the Freightliner , Vehical Information Module. The V.I.M. collects info for ALL the dash gauges, Freightliner , including speepo and tach and broadcasts it to the dash on a pair of wires, called the data link ( muliti-plexing in some discriptions ) each gauge reads only the signal intended for it off the link, then produces the reading. Freightliner Help should provide you with any test info for the gauge and price / availability if replacement is necessary.
Remember , your not alone.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Ok, I found the temp sensor...Unplugged the light on the dash goes out. The temp sensor goes to the ECM. From what I gather the "Temp Sensor" doesn't work the gauge. The gauge sending unit must be seperate. The Cat dealer here can't help. He says that's a Fleetwood thing. Yes maybe, or maybe Freightliner. I do know the gauge has a 5 wire plug on it. Only 4 being used. Light, Ground, Hot when key is on, and another with nothing. Any suggestions?? Maybe I should just install a Temp gauge from start and replace the old one....
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Many of the dash "gauges" aren't really gauges at all - they just display what the ECM tells them to. The gauges are actually digital devices on the Engine Data Bus that convert the info on the bus to analog-like displays.

Example: The oil pressure gauge on mine always reads 55 psi - and that's what a separate monitor shows too. That's because the Cummins ECM on mine only puts out one bit for oil - "Ok" or "Not OK" and OK is defined to be 55 psi. The oil pressure sensor is a simple yes/no indicator that goes to the ECM and signals whether pressure is adequate or not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

I would think that the Cat dealer WON'T help would be the more accurate discription. Seems that they would rather dig through 8" of mud to work on a skidder, than deal with a clean M/H engine. A rule of thumb , If it's on the motor and it's painted yellow it's a Cat part. if it feeds info to the Cat ECM , it's a Cat part. Well your in the engine bay , get the engine serial # , mine was on a tag on the valve cover. Cat will ask for this # to order any part. I'll dig through, downloaded wiring diagrams, for my coach for some help on your gauge wires but the different years are an issue as mine are 4 wire gauges, maybe even 2 , 2wire plugs. You need your own year diagrams.
Most often there are 2 Sender/sensors involved, sender for the gauge,sensor for the ECM. I don't know if Freightliner installs the sender in the motor for their gauge. Question for the help line.
Fleetwood would have selected a gauge package from a Freightliner cataloge, size and color, would have been their choices.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #11

Sammax- most rigs have two sending units for temp, one for the engine's ECU (a CAT sensor) which data you see only if you have something like SilverLeaf that gives you engine data. The other is added by the vehicle mfgr some place in the cooling system. Mine for example is in the coolant surge tank as coolant circulates there on the way to the radiator; others might be found in the radiator tank wall, a piece of metal tubing conveying coolant to the radiator (not on return side as you want the temp before cooling), or in an aux port in an engine access to coolant jacket; there are other possibiliites.

Almost all gauges are now digital and have been for some time. Most setups have some sort of interpreter in line to take J1939 data buss info & gleen out the gauge readings. E.g. my Actia gauge cluster has a computer in the speedo head that reads the J1939, takes vehicle speed, coolant temp (from 2nd sensor), trans temp, RPMs, etc, and distributes to the various gauge servo motors that drive the gauge needles. A good digital gauge has a startup sequence that gives a visual indicator it can drive from zero to full scale, then it goes to current reading, just like idiot lights all come on to show the bulbs are working. Temp gauges on DP's are usually direct driven (not on the data buss) and use a 240 ohm full, 30 ohm empty sender by convention (same as trucks).

The interpreter could in your vintage be separate. On earlier Alpines there was a VDC or Vehicle Data Computer (or maybe Center?) that collected all the various gauge info to translate by wire to the gauges. Not sure if you have that; I mention it because if you do, that device could be screwing up an otherwise good reading.

However, I'm betting your coolant sensor is bad, and once you locate it you could take it to NAPA or AZone and they can match it. Before removing the sensor, take note of how much coolant you will lose, and also check the wire (its probably a one wire sensor, might be two) to see that it is intact (no rubs or shorts back to its termination) and the connector is properly seated to the sensor.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #12

OK, I'm going to throw a wrench into the works , and go to the gauge.Sorry Mike.
From the first post sammax. said the gauge was frozen on one reading. Correct?
I wonder if he could run this test; Key on , volt gauge reading ? 13.5 . disconnect the wiring from the back of the volt gauge. Reading ? Bottom of scale ? Zero ? Now do the same with the temp gauge. If the gauge stays mid scale with and with out power ; the gauge is frozen, defective.
All the gauges in my 99 Freightliner chassis DSDP zero out with key off, and if I'm reading the post right, the rest of sammax's do the same.
Sorry , sammax , I should have thougth of this sooner.Maybe could have saved some time.
By the way, my gauges do have a 5 pin connector but only 4 wires, so if you have a 5 wire hook up , any info I would give from my wiring diagrams would not apply.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #13

Ok,Ok, I realy have to spend more time reading every word of these posts; sammax, you did say 5pin connector with 4 wires, same set up as mine. Not sure if the wires have the same function, But ! the dash gauges are set to read a digital signal that is broadcast from the VIM to the dash , and only the gauges can read that signal, you can't pick it up with a volt meter, and on some applications , you can damage the transmitter, by probing the wires with a test light or the wrong type of volt meter.
As ,I said before , if your temp gauge is the only gauge not zeroing out with the key off, my money is on a gauge fault.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #14

Ok guys...Thanks for the help...I'm going to track down a Gauge for this coach...YEs, it stuck about 1/3 of the way up the scale...Does not go back to bottom with the key off. After I find a gauge (any suggestions) I'll install it and let you know the results....If that doesn't fix the problem I'll install a new "Coolant Temp Sensor" and we'll go from there...Thanks for the help...

Tags
fleetwood