Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 32
Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36B question 1998

I have a question about the engine and chassis of a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. I have been looking at this model and mostly find V-10 Ford engine and chassis. There is one I am considering that has a Chevy 454 and Chevy chassis. My brother in law who is knowledgeable regarding MH says the Ford V-10 engine is preferred. If there a concern with the Chevy 454 engine and chassis?
__________________

__________________
packerbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
I have a question about the engine and chassis of a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. I have been looking at this model and mostly find V-10 Ford engine and chassis. There is one I am considering that has a Chevy 454 and Chevy chassis. My brother in law who is knowledgeable regarding MH says the Ford V-10 engine is preferred. If there a concern with the Chevy 454 engine and chassis?
I had a 98 pace arrow with a ford.... horrible ... no power, horrible ride

front suspension was way to stiff...

the chevy 454 ran circles around it...and rode smooth... the p30 chassis IMO was the best MH chassis ever built

also the 454 is a bigger engine..7.4 vs 6.8
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
I don't remember what year, but work horse widen the front end

those were the best of all
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,096
LOL, a Ford vs Chevy debate if there ever was one! The engines are similar in power and in 1998 the transmissions are also about equal. So, while the Ford F53 chassis is more common in the late 90's, I would not be concerned that the one you like is on the Chevrolet P30 chassis rather than Ford. However, check the numbers for carrying capacity, tire sizes, etc. Sometimes the RV maker chooses different chassis options for the different brands and one may be less capable than the other. A larger GVWR and Carrying Capacity, and the larger 19.5" wheels/tires are more desirable. A shortfall there would not necessarily disqualify the Chevy chassis, but make sure you are aware of what you are getting and the alternatives.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
I remember , I think it was 2000, I WAS DRIVING on a ford chassis v10 1999 I ran the ford for a year .. almost 36k miles.. had the banks kit on it...

I go look at the new wide chassis work horse...couldn't make up my mind if it was gonna be better..

I go back and forth with the sales man...I say that I don't think it will have the power of my ford.... and that it would pull the grades slower..

he says, what if it's faster will you buy it???? I say yeah...

so we go out om the street infront of the dealership....

gonna street race the motorhomes..
I told the salesman , if I win ..i'm gonna keep going back to vegas...

if you win, i'll come back and buy it..


the light drops to green and off we went...

little ford put a 3 length hole shot on the chevy by 2nd gear...ford is screaming and shifting hard @ 5200 rpms..pulling through third I look over and the chevy is right besides me,...I had my foot in it so far it looked like someone tied a shoe to the grille.... by forth gear the southwind was really pulling away...

by 5th it was so far in front that I couldn't make out the flag on the back....

needless to say,... went back and bought the chevy...
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
LOL, a Ford vs Chevy debate if there ever was one! The engines are similar in power and in 1998 the transmissions are also about equal. So, while the Ford F53 chassis is more common in the late 90's, I would not be concerned that the one you like is on the Chevrolet P30 chassis rather than Ford. However, check the numbers for carrying capacity, tire sizes, etc. Sometimes the RV maker chooses different chassis options for the different brands and one may be less capable than the other. A larger GVWR and Carrying Capacity, and the larger 19.5" wheels/tires are more desirable. A shortfall there would not necessarily disqualify the Chevy chassis, but make sure you are aware of what you are getting and the alternatives.
the big problem in those years for me...(I got a new one about every 10 mo.)
was the straight axel front... they rode horrible compaired to the p30 chevy... they had a higher gvw in the front and it was way too stiff... I remember not being able to play cd's it shook so bad..
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
http://giantrv.addr.com/chassis/vortec.htm



BIGGER!
The biggest, most powerful gasoline engine in the motor home market
•340 horsepower (@4200 rpm)
•455 lb.-ft. of torque (@3200 rpm)
•Durable, efficient and, above all, powerful
•Designed for heavy-duty use
•Most fuel efficient gas engine available
•200,000-mile life expectancy
•Outstrips entry level diesels, costs thousands less
•Most Horsepower
•Largest displacement
•Highest Torque Output


Ford vs GM Graph



Timer Graph


AND BETTER!
New Cooling System
Cross-flow radiator assembly for better cooling
Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
Horizontal design for contemporary motor home front end designs

New Exhaust System
Dual exhaust system for greater efficiency

Coil Near Spark Plugs
Individual coils near each spark plug provides 50% increase in ignition energy

Cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifolds
Withstand higher temperatures than cast iron for long runs at high rpms

Best in Class Fuel Economy
Numerous enhancements make this 8.1 liter engine more fuel efficient than available 6.8 liter engines

*Except 12,300 and 14,800 GVWR models

Road Graph
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manitowoc, WI
Posts: 32
Thanks, now I feel better with the Chevy. I came up with another question but I will post that as it has more to do with the Pace Arrow model instead of the engine.
__________________
packerbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,096
Please be aware that none of the info that LVRVLUVR quoted applies to the 1998 Chevy P30 chassis with the 454 engine. It is for the post-2001 Workhorse chassis models, and primarily the W20/W22 models at that. Workhorse made a number of major improvements in the P30 after they bought out the Chevy motorhome chassis business, and their all-new W-series chassis has zero in common with the P30 anyway.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34
I traded in a 1997 pace arrow vision 36 ft with a tag axle. Was a great MH. Chevy engine 454 on a p30 chassis. The only issue I had was the suspension. If ya went to fast on some (very few) that are real wavey the front end would bounce off the ground. Scaring sometime because of no control on steering. Other than that my wife n I loved it while we owned it.
__________________
nascar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar nut View Post
I traded in a 1997 pace arrow vision 36 ft with a tag axle. Was a great MH. Chevy engine 454 on a p30 chassis. The only issue I had was the suspension. If ya went to fast on some (very few) that are real wavey the front end would bounce off the ground. Scaring sometime because of no control on steering. Other than that my wife n I loved it while we owned it.
We crossed some railroad tracks that went across the road at an angle. The front end of the P30 chassis went into the "death wobble" My wife was terrified. She said this motorhome will be sold as soon as we get home. It only happened twice in about five years, but it will make your hair stand on end.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tropical36's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
I have a question about the engine and chassis of a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. I have been looking at this model and mostly find V-10 Ford engine and chassis. There is one I am considering that has a Chevy 454 and Chevy chassis. My brother in law who is knowledgeable regarding MH says the Ford V-10 engine is preferred. If there a concern with the Chevy 454 engine and chassis?
I chose to go with the Chevy P32 chassis when making my purchase.
Now having said that, if I remember correctly the Ford engine for those years, was the 460V8 with the V10 arriving on the scene with the 1999 model year. Usually you'll find that the chassis year is one and sometimes two behind the house and titled year, so don't see how we're talking V10 here. Having said that, the first V10's were considered to be under powered for the most part. Not so in later years and have proved to be and excellent engine. Fact is and with the new model gas coaches, anything other than a Ford chassis would be an odd rarity in itself.
As for the solid axle ride, one must remember that the WH W chassis that eventually replaced the P32, was a solid axle, as well. There has been some talk with WH returning to the MH market and offering a big block engine, somewhat larger than the GM8.1, but haven't heard as much, in a while.https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...rhome%20market
__________________
07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_ Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
Thanks, now I feel better with the Chevy. I came up with another question but I will post that as it has more to do with the Pace Arrow model instead of the engine.
We had a 1998 PA Vision for 14 years ( It was a F-53 chassis) . If you have anything specific about the coach, let me know. I may be able to help. In general, it was great and I had very few issues with it, especially compared with the Newmar we now have. .
__________________
2013 DS 4338
2015 F-150 toad with kayaks,bicycles and a Harley in the back
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I remember , I think it was 2000, I WAS DRIVING on a ford chassis v10 1999 I ran the ford for a year .. almost 36k miles.. had the banks kit on it...

I go look at the new wide chassis work horse...couldn't make up my mind if it was gonna be better..

I go back and forth with the sales man...I say that I don't think it will have the power of my ford.... and that it would pull the grades slower..

he says, what if it's faster will you buy it???? I say yeah...

so we go out om the street infront of the dealership....

gonna street race the motorhomes..
I told the salesman , if I win ..i'm gonna keep going back to vegas...

if you win, i'll come back and buy it..


the light drops to green and off we went...

little ford put a 3 length hole shot on the chevy by 2nd gear...ford is screaming and shifting hard @ 5200 rpms..pulling through third I look over and the chevy is right besides me,...I had my foot in it so far it looked like someone tied a shoe to the grille.... by forth gear the southwind was really pulling away...

by 5th it was so far in front that I couldn't make out the flag on the back....

needless to say,... went back and bought the chevy...
WOW! Your tall tale is beyond belief. That year Ford chassis only had a 4 speed transmission. You must have popped it in neutral when that chebby flew by.

Richard
__________________

__________________
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ace, fleetwood, pace arrow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microwave for '00 Pace Arrow Vision 36B meant2shop Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 5 07-05-2013 02:53 PM
03 pace arrow 36B brownb Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 16 04-28-2011 09:04 PM
Light Switch 2003 Pace Arrow 36B flaterrells MH-General Discussions & Problems 7 03-05-2010 05:22 PM
Tail Lights problem 2003 Pace Arrow 36B flaterrells Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 2 12-31-2009 10:50 AM
'04/'05 Pace Arrow Model 36B Toilet Bob (WA0MQE) Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 11 12-10-2008 03:07 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.