Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Fleetwood rear light problem

Hello. I have a 1999 Fleetwood Southwind 34N and have no rear tail lights. Front lights work as do the rear brakes, turn signals and backup lights. I have checked fuses in the engine compartment panel and have not found one burnt, or one indicating rear lights. Would anyone know if there is another fuse box in these units, or has anyone had a similar problem that can help me out? Thanks
Tom
Tom312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The base wiring for the headlights and taillights are run through the light switch which is supplied by the chassis manufacturer. The fuse will be in the chassis fuse block. If you have a Ford chassis, you will find it in a Ford marked black plastic fuse panel about 3X5 in. Just above the radiator.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

Thanks GA. Found the box and replaced one burnt 3 amp fuse. Unfortunately, I still don't have rear running lights. I also checked the main fuse box under the hood, and another under the dash. Found two more burnt fuses, but still no rear lights. Appreciate any further assistance you can provide.
Tom
Old 05-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom312 View Post
Thanks GA. Found the box and replaced one burnt 3 amp fuse. Unfortunately, I still don't have rear running lights. I also checked the main fuse box under the hood, and another under the dash. Found two more burnt fuses, but still no rear lights. Appreciate any further assistance you can provide.
Tom
Tom: something is not right. I have a 98 F53 and have never had a single blown fuse. (Chassis Fuse) Have you been under the coach and checked the wiring? Have you taken the taillight covers off and checked for power at the bulb socket?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Hi GA. I haven't been under the unit yet, but I did pull the covers off the tail lights to check the bulbs, which are all OK. It's odd that my signals work on these same bulbs, but not my main lights. I pulled the light switch out of the dash to check for a short there, but it all looks good as well. I'll try crawling under it tonight to see if I can see anything and check for power at the socket as you suggested. Any idea where I could get a wiring schematic for my unit?
Tom
Old 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

I had an 05 Fleetwood 5th wheel that was giving me problem with tail lights. Untill I pulled out the rear light assembley and follow the wires, I found this little electrical component that the wires ran through that was some type of booster, that had gone bad. I bypassed it and everything was fine. Originally it was double taped to the wall in plain view, but had come unclued and fallen out of sight. Good luck!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom312 View Post
Hi GA. I haven't been under the unit yet, but I did pull the covers off the tail lights to check the bulbs, which are all OK. It's odd that my signals work on these same bulbs, but not my main lights. I pulled the light switch out of the dash to check for a short there, but it all looks good as well. I'll try crawling under it tonight to see if I can see anything and check for power at the socket as you suggested. Any idea where I could get a wiring schematic for my unit?
Tom
Your signal lights work because they are run on a seperate wire to the tail lights. I would start by checking the color of the tail light wire at the tail light. Then follow the wire back toward the front. Separate all he connectors and check for corrosion and power coming into the connector.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #8

Thanks RVluvin. It's been raining here for a week (Sault Canada) so I haven't had a chance to get under the unit. clearing up so I hope to start tracing soon.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Tom,

Perhaps this helps:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/rear-...ut-129187.html

The wires coroded inside the cabling under the rear of my RV.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood