Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #15

Google Ford death wobble and check out some of those videos posted.........pretty freaky stuff! Must be wear in some components, and it seems to be amplified by larger than OEM tires, alignments are critical. Personally I have driven an F-350 PSD for more than 309,000 miles and never once had death wobble.......... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
You Guy's are AWESOME!!!
I do have another question for you though, I have a big truck "Semi" tire and alignment shop down the road from me and Tom Raper Rv's is about 5 minutes from the house.
Would it be better to take the rig to a RV dealer or the big truck Guy's?? I know the dealer will charge somewhere between $500 and 60 million just to look at the thing!! :-) and I have no idea what the big truck guys would charge but, is a dealer the better of the 2?? Just not sure on this one, although I am kinda leaning more towards the big truck Guy's.
Thanks again Everyone!!!
Doug
Personally I would choose a commercial Ford dealership if there is one close by. If not, "big truck guy" would win over the RV dealer. Good luck to you.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Let us know what they find ,I suspect the drag link is worn .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #18

The RV places by me do not have the equipment needed to set up the front ends and they send them out to another shop. If they can't do it in house then look for someone else.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I read this Thread because I have this on a 64 caddie not my MH. I have replaced almost everything new shocks, tie rods, bushings, bearings Had to have springs made for it @ $450 a piece and she still shakes starting @ 40 -50 then comes out of it until I hit a pot hole then it shakes but comes out of it after a few seconds. I really like the car too
The last shop I took it too they said they don't work on old cars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	43264  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #20

Had an old 1976 motorhome on a dodge m-500 chassis with the same problem. King pin bushings needed replacement. Any competent mechanic can do this, and not very expensive. Good luck.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #21

Also have your tires looked at. It could be a side wall breaking down or an inner tire separation which is very difficult to spot.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You have described 'death wobble'. . . Something is worn or come loose in the front suspension components. Do not toss aftermarket parts at it - get what is wrong fixed.
X2
Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #23

Had this happen years ago on a 72 econoline van. It was a service van that I drove. I could stop it by slamming on the brakes. I believe it had bad radius arm bushings.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #24

What you describe is the King Pin Bushings are worn and need to be replaced.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
You Guy's are AWESOME!!!
I do have another question for you though, I have a big truck "Semi" tire and alignment shop down the road from me and Tom Raper Rv's is about 5 minutes from the house.
Would it be better to take the rig to a RV dealer or the big truck Guy's?? I know the dealer will charge somewhere between $500 and 60 million just to look at the thing!! :-) and I have no idea what the big truck guys would charge but, is a dealer the better of the 2?? Just not sure on this one, although I am kinda leaning more towards the big truck Guy's.
Thanks again Everyone!!!
Doug
As mentioned a Ford Truck dealer would be the best choice. The second best choice would be the commercial truck shop. They most likely do front end work on F550, F650, and F750 straight trucks. All have similar components to the F53 chassis so they should be familiar with yours.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As mentioned a Ford Truck dealer would be the best choice. The second best choice would be the commercial truck shop. They most likely do front end work on F550, F650, and F750 straight trucks. All have similar components to the F53 chassis so they should be familiar with yours.
X two
Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
If the big truck place will take it go there .RV dealers are generally not good at chassis
repairs .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #28

Most motorhome dealers don't work on the F53 chassis because Ford will not allow them to do any warranty work unless they send their technicians to classes at Ford technical schools and be certified by in a particular discipline by Ford.

Years ago when I worked for Ford they only had schools in major cities. In the midwest it was cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. It took big bucks to send a tech to school for a few weeks. The cost became prohibitive for small dealers when adding in things like airfare, salary, motel accomodations, meals, and car rental on top of the cost of the class itself.

It's cheaper for an RV dealer to farm the chassis work out to a Ford dealer or Ford approved private shop than to train and pay a technician and have all the required specialty tools. Even the Winnebago factory in Forest City Iowa doesn't do Ford warranty work, and all their class A gas coaches and the majority of the class C gas coaches are built on Ford chassis.

Tags
f53, fleetwood, ford, southwind