Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Storm or Thor ACE 29.1

We are looking to buy a class A MH....a friend of mine who years ago was an RV dealer said "Never buy a Fleetwood! Never!" So while we really like the layout of the Storm 28F, we started looking elsewhere and found that a Thor ACE 29.1 would also probably fit our needs. Both units are 2012 used.
Anybody have any strong feeling about whether or not Fleetwood has improved its quality control? The Storm RVs we looked at seemed pretty lightweight and not as sturdy as we would like. Other people really seem to like their ACEs.

Any help or advice on this purchase would be appreciated!!!!
jkblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #2

I don't think anyone has responded to your question since it is a question that has been beaten to death in these forums - and it usually turns into a Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy type of thread that always wanders away from the original subject at hand, and can become quite heated at times.

I think you'll obtain much more information if you use the forum's search function to look specifically for questions relating to the Storm and the ACE. There are plenty of discussions in here on both units you're considering.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the forums.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

I’m unfamiliar with the Fleetwood but I owned a Thor ACE 27.1 for 3 months. Took a loss and traded it in on a Winnebago Vista 27N. Not happy about loosing the money but very glad to be rid of the ACE. I guess that gives you an idea of what I think of its quality. The ACE had very poor handling, wandered all over the road, the fit and finish was poor, lots of rattles and bangs. Check some of the other threads about ACE handling. I had multiple water leaks, exterior and interior trim pulling off, one pocket door pulled off the rollers and jammed blocking the bedroom, and those are just the high points. When you are going through an ACE just for fun try sitting on the throne. Unless you're over 6 feet, your toes will barely touch the floor.
Finally Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
How about neither and look at the Winnebagos.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

We have been shopping for weeks and have checked out both the Storm and ACE.

ACE loses hand down for many reasons. The ACE is also way too low will about 4 1/2" ground clearance. ( the dealer was shocked when I measured it) Consider the FR3 if you like the style of the ACE.

Most dealers knock the Fleetwood Storm because they can't sell them. Fleetwood quality has improved the last few years because they dropped the travel trailer line.

We are 90% sure a Storm 32h if be our next purchase.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #6

Sorry. Didn't mean to ask a repetitive question. I am new to the forum.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #7

We are looking at the 27Ns....three slides seems a little scary and my husband can't get his bike into the storage.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #8

Love the new 2014 Storm. I just put 3400 miles on it with only small problems handles quickly by the dealer. It handles great for the size and the breaks are very responsive. I just joined this forum, so I will be glad to post my experience over the next several years.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #9

You're kidding, right?

The Fleetwood hands down. Look at the differences, which are huge. The Fleetwood's dropdown bed is rated for double the weight of the ACE. The ACE pull out bed is for tiny people only, the 28 F can sleep 5 adults, the ACE 3 adults if you're lucky. The Fleetwood brand versus Thor is also a difference in quality and fit and finish. I looked for over a year at every coach in the 30ft range and the 28F beat all hands down for quality, floorplan, storage, resale. We've had no issues, none with our 28F and would recommend it versus any coach in that size and price including the Winnebago which has a poor layout and handles very poor.

Before you buy do your research on this blog and read the issues on the ACE line up, run don't walk away from the ACE.

The Fleetwood is a no brainer in this purchasing decision.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
As an ex-ACE owner, we will never own another product made by Thor ever again. IF Thor gave me their top of the line coach, would just sell it as fast as we could and use the money to buy something else. Our ACE actually treated us pretty well and we enjoyed it very much, but what a PoS. Certainly not saying Fleetwood is the second coming, but anything is better than something made by Thor, that includes a pop-up tent mounted on your child's radio flyer red wagon.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

All I can say is to each there own. I have a 2013 Thor ACE 29.2 and once the bugs were worked out (as with many, if not all) we love it!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #12

we have an older used Fleetwood and are the 2nd owners. We plan on the Fleetwood you are looking at for our next coach.

93 Southwind
2001 Saturn SC2 toad
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #13

No major problems with my 2013 fleetwood Storm. Love the more simple and less 70's fabulous decor that we've seen in most others. Great features like full body paint instead of decals too.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #14

You folks are pretty critical

I am dismayed at the kinds of answers I got on this forum. I felt like a fool for asking the question I did.
We did buy a 2014 Thor ACE. It isn't perfect, but we are enjoying our time on the road. We even got 10 MPG. We will likely keep it for many years.
Thank you to those of you who offered constructive help.

Tags
fleetwood, thor