Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood windows replacement, yes or no

Hi All, since I know i have to take out my leaky drivers window, I figure I might as well just go ahead and replace all of my foggy windows.

I called fleetwood, and they quoted me just under 2 grand to get me replacement windows all the way around.

Now here's the thing, Fleetwood is telling me they are made by the same company... seagi or something like that.

I have zero issue with the money, seems ok to me, BUT am I gonna get juked by them selling me a window that's been sitting around for 8 years??

How can I verify how fresh these windows are? I don't really have time to measure and pattern and send to suncoast and all that jazz, and I don't have time to drive to florida, much less the fuel cost.

I also am not sure if a local glass company in houston can take them apart and put them back together and save me money at the same time... so i dunno what to do...

any thoughts?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Hi All, since I know i have to take out my leaky drivers window, I figure I might as well just go ahead and replace all of my foggy windows.

I called fleetwood, and they quoted me just under 2 grand to get me replacement windows all the way around.

Now here's the thing, Fleetwood is telling me they are made by the same company... seagi or something like that.

I have zero issue with the money, seems ok to me, BUT am I gonna get juked by them selling me a window that's been sitting around for 8 years??

How can I verify how fresh these windows are? I don't really have time to measure and pattern and send to suncoast and all that jazz, and I don't have time to drive to florida, much less the fuel cost.

I also am not sure if a local glass company in houston can take them apart and put them back together and save me money at the same time... so i dunno what to do...

any thoughts?
Actually, that price doesn't sound bad (except for the fact it's still $2K). As for vintage of windows, who knows ... but they are probably new and maybe some are custom. Mostly it's a question of how bad your existing windows annoy you. The bad news is that the windows tend to fog again at some point. it's tough to keep a seal between glass in a rocking/twisting vehicle.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If I remember your MH isn't that old? How did they get foggie? Did you see if they would be covered under warranty maybe? I would think that that is a manufacture warranty lifetime? Worth 10min phone call. Try resealing them yourself might just need a little sealer. I know a lot of ifs.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

coach is a 2005. Mine is too and my windows also have varying levels of fog.

Interestingly, I was thinking of looking around at covering my windows with perforated vinyl like I see on many uber-high end coaches to match the paint scheme. I just like the look when I see it, but don't know where to start in terms of doing it. If the windows had the perforated vinyl, you would never notice the fogging.

Just a thought. BTW, $2K is a pretty good deal me thinks! I wouldn't bother paying someone else to repair if they can be had new with all new hardware for that price honestly. You could do it yourself cheaper, but perhaps just drop the 2K, install yourself (that isn't complicated) and then let me know how it goes. Having new black window frames and hardware will definitely improve the look of the coach.

BTW, if you were still considering painting, you want to pull the old windows - paint coach - then install new.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
coach is a 2005. Mine is too and my windows also have varying levels of fog.

Interestingly, I was thinking of looking around at covering my windows with perforated vinyl like I see on many uber-high end coaches to match the paint scheme. I just like the look when I see it, but don't know where to start in terms of doing it. If the windows had the perforated vinyl, you would never notice the fogging.

Just a thought. BTW, $2K is a pretty good deal me thinks! I wouldn't bother paying someone else to repair if they can be had new with all new hardware for that price honestly. You could do it yourself cheaper, but perhaps just drop the 2K, install yourself (that isn't complicated) and then let me know how it goes. Having new black window frames and hardware will definitely improve the look of the coach.

BTW, if you were still considering painting, you want to pull the old windows - paint coach - then install new.

Chris
ME TOO! I think that looks so hot and makes a coach look high end.

here's what I found out.

It will also cost me $150.00 per window to have them swapped.

My local rv guy told me of a place in Arkansas that will clean them and reseal them. Cost there is $200 per window.

SO here's my thought. The drivers window has to come out when I get the wall fixed... this is before I will be near arkansas. So I say buy the fleetwood drivers window, and have it changed when I put in the wall, so it only has to be done once and water sealed correctly. That's 700 total.

Then on my way to Chicago next month from Dallas, arkansas is right on my way. Stop there and do the rest of the windows (that's 9 windows x 200 = 1800)

1800 + 700 = 2500.

VS 6 new windows at $2000 + 150 x 6 = 2900.

Mind you, in the first set of numbers there, I calculated on every window, including bathroom and bedroom. In my second version, I only calculated the front and slide windows, leaving the bedroom and bathroom out.

Version 1 is the better route me thinks.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
ME TOO! I think that looks so hot and makes a coach look high end.

here's what I found out.

It will also cost me $150.00 per window to have them swapped.

My local rv guy told me of a place in Arkansas that will clean them and reseal them. Cost there is $200 per window.

SO here's my thought. The drivers window has to come out when I get the wall fixed... this is before I will be near arkansas. So I say buy the fleetwood drivers window, and have it changed when I put in the wall, so it only has to be done once and water sealed correctly. That's 700 total.

Then on my way to Chicago next month from Dallas, arkansas is right on my way. Stop there and do the rest of the windows (that's 9 windows x 200 = 1800)

1800 + 700 = 2500.

VS 6 new windows at $2000 + 150 x 6 = 2900.

Mind you, in the first set of numbers there, I calculated on every window, including bathroom and bedroom. In my second version, I only calculated the front and slide windows, leaving the bedroom and bathroom out.

Version 1 is the better route me thinks.
and on the other hand, having nice new hardware and screens inside and out is nice too.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

Be aware that, if the moisture between the panes is excessive, the glass will likely be etched and won't clean up completely. Look at each window carefully ... etching looks just like it sounds ... it will look somewhat frosty, like old glassware that has been thru the dishwasher a million times. If you have some of those, you may want to rethink the new vs. cleaned scenario. Of course you can do mix and match too ... some new, some cleaned. If you get new, I'd keep the old windows ... there may be a person that wants them even if foggy ... Craigs List. If not, you can always dispose of locally.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
When mine were done, I left one window in the bedroom untouched since it is behind the bed like a headboard and it is such a pita to open and close those blinds they are left down permanently.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by so47 View Post
When mine were done, I left one window in the bedroom untouched since it is behind the bed like a headboard and it is such a pita to open and close those blinds they are left down permanently.
Mine is like that too. I'm just not sure what to do.

New is more money, but they look nicer, plus you get new screens. Mine feel like if you touched em just right they might turn to dust.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 02-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #10

$150 per window to install them? What am I missing here. ~10 screws and some sealant, right? Is there Unicorn Horn sprinkles involved here I am not thinking of?

If you could install yourselves new is a no brainer.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
SE-GI windows suck. You cannot buy them direct from the factory, only through a dealer. You can find a repair facility that will do the repair for 200-300 per window depending on size. I suggest you spend some time with Google looking for "foggy window repair" or something like that and find a repair facility. There is a guy (Dave Root) that sells kits so you can do the repair yourself. Here again, Google "Dave Root"
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
SE-GI windows suck. You cannot buy them direct from the factory, only through a dealer. You can find a repair facility that will do the repair for 200-300 per window depending on size. I suggest you spend some time with Google looking for "foggy window repair" or something like that and find a repair facility. There is a guy (Dave Root) that sells kits so you can do the repair yourself. Here again, Google "Dave Root"
He's here:
Home Page

Repair is no fun at all (been there ... did 4 of them). In my case, I'm retired and my time is essentially free and mostly available. So, I save a bunch of $ that I can't otherwise earn. Also, my RV is old so not worth spending that kind of money. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't do it. The 3 piece assemblies (like driver and passenger cockpit) are particularly horrible. Getting lift bars off without bending them is tedious.

If you have the cash, let someone else do it ... really.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #13

They are sorry windows I had 2 replace under warranty before a year old.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
$150 per window to install them? What am I missing here. ~10 screws and some sealant, right? Is there Unicorn Horn sprinkles involved here I am not thinking of?

If you could install yourselves new is a no brainer.

Chris

It depends on interior window treatments. If you have to remove inside blinds and fabric "stuff" to get at the inside screws, it can easily take an hour per window out/in. Even if it's not totally in the way, the new windows aren't predrilled and it's difficult to drive the self-tapping screws "carefully".

Tags
replacement, fleetwood, replace, window