Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Flexsteel Captains chairs

Has anyone had thier capains chairs re—upholstered I realize cot would vary with shop and material, is it simply easier and less expebsive to bu new

lms1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Thought about re-upholstering my 20yo FS chairs but they are clean and in great condition. However, the color didn't really fit into my interior upgrade plans.

So I had a local automotive upholsterer custom-make covers for the chairs. They fit like a glove, and it doesn't even look like the chairs are covered. This way I can continue protecting the chairs, and easily remove & wash the covers if needed. Saved money, too. :-)

[B]BichonLover is a 100% California gal, driving a vintage Fleetwood in SoCal.
BichonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Ims1943 - I had my two front flex steel captain chairs and one small chair behind the passenger front seat reupholestered in February 2011. The cost for all 3 chairs was $600. The cost amount, which I thought was low, might have been driven by the fact that the shop was slow that time of the year and also by the fact that they asked if I was paying cash or by credit card. I choose cash. Bill
billkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
I got 3 quotes to have my front two chairs re-upholstered in either leather or high grade vinyl. The cheapest was $780 with me doing the R&R and delivering the seats to the shop and a mid grade vinyl. Leather faces with vinyl backs and sides got over $1000. Quotes at other two shops were withing a buck or so.

I instead started watching ebay and carefully making choices and bids.

I ended up buying 2 brand new, never used Acura RDX tan leather captians chairs in leather with dual arm rests for $475. I was a bit skeptical until they showed up. Perfect in every detail and no trouble mounting to the Flexsteel pedestals with 4 high grade bolts in each. MUCH more comfortable and very nice quality leather. More adjustments and lumbar support than the Flexsteel as well. A big upgrade for our coach.

See, being cheap does pay of sometimes!
38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
I bought new faux leather covers from Flexsteel directly for my 2008 Damon captains chairs for $250/chair and had a local upholestry shop install them for $60/chair.
About half the price of new chairs.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just had Flexsteel manufacture new covers for my Captain's chairs. They use my material and charged $200/chair plus shipping. I installed both in under 6 hours. JM2˘...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
I just got my captain chairs back last week after being reupholstered in Raleigh. They were done by a company that reupholsters antique vehicle interiors from all over the east. They were done in leather with the skirt being a matching high grade artificial material. The cost was $480 per chair and they came to my storage facility, removed them, and reinstalled them when completed for that price.

They did an excellent job and added padding. None of my previous 4 motorhomes had seats as nice as the ones I now have. Having been done in leather, they look much nicer and are very comfortable. The original ultraleather on the Flexsteel chairs deteriorated in a very short period of time.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Originally Posted by lms1943 View Post
Has anyone had thier capains chairs re—upholstered I realize cot would vary with shop and material, is it simply easier and less expebsive to bu new
We're currently having our 2000 Signature Captain seats reupolstered in high grade vinyl for less than $500 ea/seat.

I got 2 other quotes for $900 ea/seat.

The previous owner had re-done them in something? not durable.

CURRENTLY MOTORHOMELESS!-Past MHs: 02 Monaco45'Sig,00Monaco43'Sig,99Monaco42'Exec,98Mona co42'Sig,98Newmar38'DSDP(pictured),88FW26'Jamboree .
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote