Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Flood or "scare" lights

I am looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to add a couple of these lights on to my 1989 Southwind by Fleetwood. I am fairly proficient in wiring and am more interested in how to "fish" the wires from their location to my desired switch location by the door. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why do you need the lights and where are you planning to mount them. If for setting up after dark, you could probably mount one just above the utilities bay and run a wire just behind the skin. A switch could then be mounted in the bay so you could easily turn it back off after hooking up utilities.

Its so rude of people to leave those things on all night.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Saw a nice one the other day. They had their scare lights fixed for a soft glow. Very
effective.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dan......It almost always works best to fish them down to the frame and then back up near your switch. Make sure you use a sufficient size wire if you're using more than one. On all of the coaches I've owned, I've added the 12" double bulb flourescent light (outdoor model available at CW) just under the main awning. It lights up enough to play games under while outside.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig came standard with two, we added two more to the factory build order. The work very well. And yes, I have accidentally left them on all night or my DW has accidentally turned them on!
Personally I think they'd be pretty hard to add on some rigs that use a bonded wall construction as there's no openings to fish a wire or two through. Some of the porch lights look good and might be easier to surface mount. I'd look for some LED units though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #6

The location that I had chosen was under the awning. I am new to RV's and am just not familiar with how they are built. It appears that I might be able to fish the wires straight down and then pull them along the floor under the closet and kitchen cabinets to my desired switch location. My concern is that I don't know what is in between exterior and interior walls (insulation, foam) and whether or not I will be able to get the wires down the wall?

Thanks to everyone for their help and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pareja View Post
The location that I had chosen was under the awning. I am new to RV's and am just not familiar with how they are built. It appears that I might be able to fish the wires straight down and then pull them along the floor under the closet and kitchen cabinets to my desired switch location. My concern is that I don't know what is in between exterior and interior walls (insulation, foam) and whether or not I will be able to get the wires down the wall?

Thanks to everyone for their help and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Most RV walls are foam, with a stiff wire or fish tape you can force a hole thru the foam but you do lose insulating properties (in a minor way). Make sure the wiring is fully rated for the amps you'll be drawing. In fact, you might want to use a gauge one size larger then is calculated. And the switch should be rated above what the draw will be. Like 20% better at least. Wouldn't hurt to add a light to it. I've done that for all my exterior light switches and it really helps, especially helps me notice if I've left the basement compartment lights on...fire danger there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #8

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Dan
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Dan,

One possibility is the motion detector LED Porch Light too.
https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...ght-Black.html
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
CD

Last night I bought a package of 2 LED, battery powered, motion detection lights at Costco fo $20. I haven't even looked at them yet so can't tell you any more. You might be able hang one up under the awning and take in when not using it. I plan on using it beside our driveway where we have a security camera. We have a motion detector there that beaps in the house. The problem is at night we hear a beap and can't see anything because the night vision of the camera isn't good enough to see a cat, racoon etc until it gets closer to the camera (if it does). I am going to see if this will help the light situation and also may deter unwanteds that we have had a few of lately but that is another story.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #11

Worst case scenario would be to mount cable raceway on the interior wall. Something like the product shown here. Latching Cable Raceway
Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #12

All great ideas! Thanks guys!

Tags
lights