Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Flooded Diplomat

I'd take whatever the total loss would pay and let the insurance company own it. With the electronics, corrosion, flooded axles that RV will never be right again. If you fix it then trade it you must legally disclose any major damage. If someone gets suckered into buying it, they will be pissed. Let the insurance company take it and it will be a salvage title which tells any buyer to beware. With any money you get out of it you can use it to buy a newer RV an sleep easier. Maybe some RV-er can benefit from buying a salvaged motor or interior or body parts.

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #30

Let them total then buy it back and have it fixed yourself.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
A few years ago a deer ran a stop sign and hit Thom on his bike. The insurance company came out and looked over everything and said that if it had been any other bike but a Harley he would just total it because of the costs but since it's a Harley and all the chrome upgrades the po had put on it then it was now worth more than the damage.

You never know what they will do until they look and go over everything. Good luck with them.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #32

I have the same insurance as you...very interested in your outcome with insurance company......
Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Mr D, are you saying if your Coach is totaled they will pay you the MRSP of the Coach in 2002? If so your insurance must be out-of-sight? I asked my Erie insurance agent just last year about this and the amount I had my Coach insured for and I was told that if totaled that they would pay the current book value. So adjusted my insurance I had on it to bring it inline with the cost I had it insured for with the book value, no sense in paying insurance premium for something I won't get if something happens. I was just wondering how you had your set up?
I have the same policy thru GMAC. Replacement in the 1st 5 years and then "sticker" cost after that. If I suffer a total loss today, they tell me they will write me a check for the original "sticker" price. I am paying the same premium now as the day I insured it but worth it to me. I got other quotes asking for "stated value" and the premiums were higher. AAA told me they would insure for whatever $$$$ I wanted but would only pay "market value" on a total loss?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine insured for the original purchase price we paid for it "agreed upon valve"

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even if they total it you can negotiate the value. My experience with insurance companies has been you need to state any repairs or new items. You can point out that you put a new sattelite antenna and new air conditioners on it. Have them include those in the value. Do not just take their offer negotiate on it.

I am not one of the people that agree that being flooded is the kiss of death. Had an idiot friend forgot to untie his boat from the trailer. He kept backing up and the boat never started floating off of the trailer. He finally got out and went to see what was wrong. when he say the rope holding it he hit the release and the next thing he know he was standing on the top of the truck cab. He got it towed out. Drained all the fluids filled with new fluids and drained again. Let all the electronics dry out. He drove the truck with no problems.

I think there is going to be work. Several of the posters are correct about that. Air dryer desicant for sure is probably going to need to be replaced. I do not see how two feet of water could get in to your engine. the exhaust manifold is higher than that and so is the intake manifold. I would not imagine any engine damage. I do not know enough about automatic transmissions to know if their is a vent in them or not but I do not remember one. So not sure how water could get in there. Yes the rear axle has a vent and probably got flooded. What is that going to hurt. It is covered in oil. Drain the fluids out. fill with fresh fluid and drain again maybe twice. Fill back with fluid. Electronics that were not energized will not be hurt. Depends on what had power on when the water hit it. Junction boxes where there are exposed wires such as fuse holder etc need tobe sprayed with a good quality electric cleaner to get the moisture off. I am going to be suprised if the insurance company totals it but depending on how good a tinkerer you are you need to make a list of stuff you do not want to do such as drain and replace the differential fluid. Anything you do not want to do go to a mechanic and get a price quote. If the insurance company totals it ask if you can buy it back for salvage price. Some insurance companies have a deal with a salvage buyer and they cannot sell it back to the owner. If you can buy it back salvage see what you think it will cost you to fix it back up and then make a decision. If the insurance company does decide to fix it ask them how much they are going to give you for depreciation. If you go to sell it now that it has been flooded you are supposed to disclose that. The motor home is now worth less than would be if you tried to sell it without it having been through a flood. Tell the insurance company you want that difference in cash. If you do not know how much it is go to a RV sales and explain what you want and ask them

The most important thing to remember is that you are safe and not hurt. Sounds like the people in the campground made it out safely. Last year in Arkansas we had the exact same thing happen you talked about flash flooding into the campground except they lost everyone in the campground. Most of them were tent camping but I believe a couple of them were in trailers. This year we had a couple of campers caught like that. Local ranger and sheriff tried to rescue them, all 4 of them did not make it. Camping on a river or creek is when you really want to watch the weather forecast for flash flood warnings.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for the great advise. Our RV was declared a total loss today.

I only hope we will find another one at a reasonable price

Danny
Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translators7 View Post
Thank you all for the great advise. Our RV was declared a total loss today.

I only hope we will find another one at a reasonable price

Danny

I hope you negotiated the fact that you had a new satellite dish and new air conditioners into the settlement check

Is it possible to buy it back or did you not want to mess with that ?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fresh water is not near the problem that contaminated salt water is to the electrics. I think the insurance company did the right thing but I hope the OP didn't get financially hurt too bad!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, I don't know the settlement yet, but I was told they would take everything into consideration. The adjuster told me that I would not get everything back I put into it, but assured me that they would make things right for me.
So, now I am looking for a another RV. I'm leaning towards a Fleetwood Revolution.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
No, I'm not buying it back. This was our first RV and I have learned a lot about RV's and now I have a clearer picture of what I want our new RV to have, like a bigger motor to haul my H2 and at least 2 slides, on of them in the bedroom

Danny
Old 11-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translators7 View Post
No, I'm not buying it back. This was our first RV and I have learned a lot about RV's and now I have a clearer picture of what I want our new RV to have, like a bigger motor to haul my H2 and at least 2 slides, on of them in the bedroom

Danny
And a "weather watch" radio
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #42

OP, sorry to hear that you need to replace your MH, but in the long run, it will work out. As you have already stated this will give you a chance to look at a replacement and get what you want/need.
Good luck on your search and take your time. There are lots of good deals out there.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote