Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Flooded Class A Rigs in Louisiana

Several of the big campgrounds with lots of inventory are under water. It was reported that Dixie RV in Hammond had 4 feet of water on parts of their lot. Some of the MH were moved, but not all of them. Many flooded.

Be careful if you buy a rig from the area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #2

Having worked many floods with FEMA, this is a common problem. Many of these rigs find their way to many different lots in neighboring states and beyond. Know the MH history before buying. Carfax can be helpful.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #3

Flooded Vehicles

I guess as long as we have floods, we'll have flooded vehicles on the market shortly thereafter. I thought it may be helpful to reach out to our community to ask for advice on how to spot a coach which may have been flooded. As previously mentioned in prior posts, knowing the coaches history is paramount but does anyone out there have any advice as to certain areas to check for moisture, etc? Please remember I' a newbie to the whole RV thing. Thanks for any advice you wish to share. A second question is does a flooded coach ever present an advantageous buying situation?
GBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMac View Post
I guess as long as we have floods, we'll have flooded vehicles on the market shortly thereafter. I thought it may be helpful to reach out to our community to ask for advice on how to spot a coach which may have been flooded. As previously mentioned in prior posts, knowing the coaches history is paramount but does anyone out there have any advice as to certain areas to check for moisture, etc? Please remember I' a newbie to the whole RV thing. Thanks for any advice you wish to share. A second question is does a flooded coach ever present an advantageous buying situation?
The answer to that question poses more questions:
How deep was the water?
What is the price advantage?
If you had to replace all the motors and electronics that flooded, would the savings be worth it?
Do you like to gamble or only like a sure thing?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

I had to drive to Beaumont, Texas yesterday in that mess. Passed a couple of small campgrounds on the way & a couple looked like the RV's & tow vehicles probably had water in them. I've lived here all my life & have never seen flooding from rain like this. Here in Lafayette we had 20" of rain in 48 hours. A lot of folks who had to evacuate to some local motels had to evacuate again after the motels ended up with 2 to 3 feet of water in them. Looks like these poor people also lost their vehicles.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some years ago (before we ordered our 2000 DSDP) we looked at a rig on a lot in OR. In one of the bays was a water line, so I asked if it had ever been flooded. "Well, it came from one of our other lots so we really don't know" Scratch that one off the list. Too bad too as the DW still mentions the size of the bathroom in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

these rigs will show up on the wholesale lots after these places get there insurance claims taken care of. nobody will know with the bad dealers not putting this on the vin thru the computer data bank and someone will get stuck be very very careful when buying now.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.facebook.com/ShawnWSande...3153934715259/

Look at this.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Link doesn't work, apparently the page is no good any longer.

jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMac View Post
One place to look is also the most difficult to clean if someone wanted to hide water marks; between rear cap and interior wall.
If we were buying a new RV within the next year, I would require a statement, signed by the dealership owner, that it had not been in flood water, before I signed anything.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

Red face

We have an Allegro coming in Sept--hope everything is OK by then. I hate to see Dixie RV have that problem, they seem like good people there.
cajuncamnper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #12

Even a cleaned up flooded MH will have left over evidence. Flood water is nasty dirty. Check the engine compartment, under sink, any hard to reach places. If you see silt, weeds, oil or any dirt or sand in any unusual locations, you can bet it has been under water. Consider paying for a Pre-purchase Inspection. Due diligence will save you from a bad investment.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 AM   #13

Take a strong flashlight and a mirror. You'll see a film/line in hard to get to places if it has been flooded. It's unmistakable once you see it.

Many (many) years ago I bought a flood car. It was before "electronic" applied to anything other than a TV. It worked out fine. But I sure wouldn't want anything modern that had been flooded, even if it did all work on the lot. Corrosion in the electrics of such vehicles will make you crazy after a couple of years.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
After Katrina, flood damaged vehicles were found as far away as WI on sales lots. The joke was, check under the seat carpet for mud.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a