Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #15

We found that we had to do two things when going out with the grandkids. First, explain all the rules of the motor home carefully and repeatedly. Second, do a walkthrough every time we left, arrived, and before bed.

Actually I still do a walkthrough before bed every night.

Kids just don't know how different things are in a motor home.

Good luck. And by the way the trick with the shop vac works great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Hey All,

Just want to rant and tell you my tale of woe...!!! Last weekend we went camping with the grandkids. I set up the RV and did not open the Grey water tank as I wanted it to fill for a while to flush the black water tank. In the middle of the night on Friday, I got up to use the potty as most middle aged people tend to do....and I found that the RV was litrerally flooded. There was water everywhere!!!! At 2 AM I traced it down and I found that the the shower pan was flowing onto the floor . Then I noticed that the sink faucet had been knocked upward into the open position and the water had been flowing all night into the sink and thus was filling the grey water tanks and overflowing from the shower pan.... What A MESS!!!!

I opened the grey water valve and then I used every towel that I had...I had had about 12 towels to try to sop the water up. At about 3 am, I gave up and decided to attack it again in the morning. When I awoke, I used 7 rolls of paper towels and still the carpet was wet. I wanted to return home but hubby refused and he said that we should not ruin the weekend for the kids. We camped for the rest of the weekend with really wet carpets.

I returned home on Monday and purchased a steam-cleaner to try to suck-up the water and to clean the residual grey water smell... I "washed" the carpets twice and I have come to the conclusion that I am really exhausted and tired of the problems that accompany RV'ing...

Please convince me that I am wrong and that this is just a "bump in the road". My husband is disabled and I am so tired of doing it all myself....

I need your encouragement...

A very discouraged Faith in Massachusetts ...
Aw, I'm sorry you are tired and discouraged, Faith. Hopefully your carpets will dry out and all will be well. You might consider having Steamatic or one of the professional cleaning companies go over the carpets to help get the smell out.

As for being tired of handling the problems of RVing yourself, no one can answer that one except you. I admire you for taking it on in the first place...if my hubby didn't handle most of the "muscle" tasks, we would not be RVing. I know my limitations!

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh Faith, What a mess! Hopefully this will end up as one of those stories you chuckle about when you retell it. My flood was caused by my bratty little monkey playing in the sink while I was driving. I forgot to turn off the waterpump before leaving and the engine noise was loud enough to drown out the waterpump sounds. I have never forgotten that switch again! Luckily, I have no carpet so it was a throw rug and the 4 diapers I left beside the sink that took the worst of it.

Hang in there!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #18

These stories make us appreciate the true value of a $15 water alarm. It's on the list.

As I look at used RVs, I see many that make me think "Nice, but the carpet has to go". How big a deal is it to remove the carpet? Are they generally glued down, or installed with edge strips like residential carpet?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
fansill:

G'morning from South Dakota and so very sorry to read of your water dilemma. Flooded our rig once also and, as you know, it's a horrible experience particularly when you're the Lone Ranger having to deal with it. My wife was gone for a few days visiting grandkids, and one morning I awoke to discover that the ice maker in refrigerator had malfunctioned, froze up, but water flowing down back of freezer compartment and onto floor. Freezer looked like a glacier and of course floor and some basement compartments were sopping wet.......well, you know the feeling.

We live full time in our rig (no house, no stuff) and talk about momentary panic when ya wonder where ya gonna live, what do I do with our pets, will the floor rot, etc. etc. BUT......as others above have attempted to point out, it AIN'T AS BAD AS IT ALL FIRST APPEARS and you will look back on it all as one of them bumps in the road.

Take heart.

Steve & Lynette
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all of you...!!!

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for the encouraging words of support. After a week of steam clean extraction of the carpet, it is almost dry. I left the heat on all day today and that seemed to help. I am going to " jump back on the horse" this weekend. We are heading to a campground about 40 minutes from the house and the owners are friends of ours and they will give me hugs and console me as you all have done electronically. You are all such great friends!!!!

I have taken all of your advice to heart and I do believe that I have to make sure that I do not burn myself out taking care of hubby. I still do not have a tow bar for the new CRV, so hubby will drive it behind me but I do not want to stray too far from the campground. I want to hunker down and rest this weekend. On top of everything, we have an elderly pup with congestive heart failure and she has been going downhill. It is my fondest hope that she will enjoy the last few beloved camping trips with us. She loves the RV experience so much and I want to pamper her for as long as we can.

Thanks again my friends and keep us all in your prayers as we venture forth....as a fellow poster said...like LaForge and Capt Picard....... We will keep this RV rolling for a little while longer...God willing...

A very Grateful Faith in Massachusetts
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #21

Hey,, Thats great to hear,, Good Luck to you an ya hubby,,,,
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #22

As they say sh t happens I believe I would have hunted down a wet and dry vac and sucked it up the best I could and cleaned the carpets immediately when I got home. Don't let a mistake learned ruin rving it could have been a tub at home someone left on and flooded your house. I would also keep extra fans running to help drying.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #23

I would strongly suggest a thorough dusting of the carpet with either baking soda - or perhaps a commercial odor removing product to help avoid odors and mildew...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's very easy to leave a faucet running or jiggle open while driving. Here is an example of a cheap alarm. Just leave the probe lay in the shower, take it out when you shower.

Battery-Operated Water Alarm-BWD-HWA at The Home Depot
Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #25

I'll say this that I love camping as it's called today, and the whole idea of it. BUT, you have to realize things will happen or can happen. Accidents, broken little things, broken expensive things, water leaks, maintenance, and so on and so on. The adage 'pay to play' applies. Not being rude, but trying to be practical.
So as long as you love it and can keep doing it then do it. I know I would.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #26

With a little luck and a few years of time this hopefully will become a laughable memory. My friend just purchased a new trailer, when they took on on the maiden voyage to the mountains he left the gray water line open and allowed the water to trickle to keep the lines from freezing at night. As bad luck would have it, the factory had put the stickers on the dump valves backward...the black was open the gray was closed and the trailer was flooded.
We were in Provo Utah and camped at a lovely campground next to a marshy plain with a lovely view and a nearby river. During the day, after arriving we saw the sky full of birds...how lovely...when the sun set the bugs came out, the birds had been waiting for their feast. Billions of bugs...every time we opened the door to walk the dog millions rushed in. We spend the night spraying Windex on globbs of bugs and wiping them down with paper towels. Did I mention we really don't like bugs!!!!
Hopefully your future trips will be a success. Your grandchildren will cherish their time in the RV. We wish you the best.
Happy Trails.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Hey All,

Just want to rant and tell you my tale of woe...!!! Last weekend we went camping with the grandkids. I set up the RV and did not open the Grey water tank as I wanted it to fill for a while to flush the black water tank. In the middle of the night on Friday, I got up to use the potty as most middle aged people tend to do....and I found that the RV was litrerally flooded. There was water everywhere!!!! At 2 AM I traced it down and I found that the the shower pan was flowing onto the floor . Then I noticed that the sink faucet had been knocked upward into the open position and the water had been flowing all night into the sink and thus was filling the grey water tanks and overflowing from the shower pan.... What A MESS!!!!

I opened the grey water valve and then I used every towel that I had...I had had about 12 towels to try to sop the water up. At about 3 am, I gave up and decided to attack it again in the morning. When I awoke, I used 7 rolls of paper towels and still the carpet was wet. I wanted to return home but hubby refused and he said that we should not ruin the weekend for the kids. We camped for the rest of the weekend with really wet carpets.

I returned home on Monday and purchased a steam-cleaner to try to suck-up the water and to clean the residual grey water smell... I "washed" the carpets twice and I have come to the conclusion that I am really exhausted and tired of the problems that accompany RV'ing...

Please convince me that I am wrong and that this is just a "bump in the road". My husband is disabled and I am so tired of doing it all myself....

I need your encouragement...

A very discouraged Faith in Massachusetts ...
Sorry for your troubles, but, if you havent already done so, put a dehumidifier in there and let it run for a week or two. You need to get ALL of the water out.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #28

I remember the time Grandkids visited, flushed 3 rolls of T.P. in 2 days, comode overflowed. That's it! Sold the house & bought an old home in the country with an outhouse, no more overflowing toilets for me.
Just kidding, I have to get up & go in the middle of the night way too often to add a 50 yd. dash to the mix.