Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You guys are great!!!!

Just when I am ready to give up... you all lift me up!!!~ Thanks again for all your encouraing words. The Rv is back in the yard and it is drying out. Hubby is resting and I will transport him to the hospital tomorrow for another short stay and maybe I will plan another trip...yes it is a definate plan...another trip because hubby and the pups love the trips.... The road awaits us....!!!! The carpet is a little damp...but what the heck!!!!

Thank you all for encouraging me to keep going...

Always.

Faith, Bob, and the two wonder-pups...LOL!!!!

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #30

It may have been already suggested but I have used dehumidifiers to dry basements is any wet room. They will dry the carpet very fast. I think I payed around 100.00 for the one I have now but well worth it. They suck a lot if water out of a room.
Have fun on the trip.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #31

i can't imagine traveling in our RV with me doing all the work. There are 2 adults helping me and that makes the even the "problems" easier to handle. If I only receive just moral support. LOL.
What i would do:
1) CRANK UP THE FURNACE!
2) Open all the windows.
3) Start-up all the fans you can find.
4) Obtain a shop-vac fast. Maybe buy the campground's old one at full retail. Then WEAR THAT THING OUT.
5) Call your insurance company and ask them for a recommenation for a local plumbing flood repair contractor. They have super vacs and may spray an enzymic solution to neutralize the musty smell the mildew and mold may generate. At minimum I would spray a weak bleach or vinegar solution (or I like Pinesol, due to the overpowering, sinus clearing scent).
6) Prevention: Just shut-off your public or on-board water at night or when away from the RV. An alarm is a good idea, but won't do any good if you are not "home".
Isn't this FUN?!!

good luck
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
it will dry....

I really really hate motorhome floods, or any kind of home floods.

Many years ago, at maybe 10 years old, son #2 woke up, couldn't sleep, decided a hot bath would feel good...
laid back in his bed while the tub filled.
Sometime later we awaken to the phone, grandma is calling asking why it is raining in her basement apartment!

More recently, #1 son is downstairs playing pool, and asks why is the carpet squishy?
Turns out the washer hookup in grandma's apartment had cracked...

Recently got a letter from State Farm, suggesting gently that any more claims on the homeowners would probably not be a good thing...lol

We flooded RV#1several times, including once when I put a garden hose down the toilet to "flush her out" and then got distracted for a lil while...

One time we had water running out the entry steps..

And yes, I've lost track of the water in the new coach a couple times too...

I hate water....
Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Jim and all,

You made me realiaze that all is not lost.... I am hopeful that I can forget this bump in the road and and that we can laugh about this a few years down the road.....

Thanks again to y'all for the great encouragment.

Fondly,

Faith, Bob and the little pups....
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OH water!!! First night of our first extended winter trip in 2002 along Lake Erie in January! I went to the bedroom for something and found the carpet was squishy wet. The water pump was located under the side table on the driver side of the bed and the plastic filter had cracked. The Fresh Water tank was under the bed. We opened the drain and went out to buy jug water. We reverted to our former tent camping experience until the next day when we found someone to replace the filter. Today it is a funny reminder of all the subsequent mishaps that have plagued us on and off for a dozen years.

My favorite grandson story followed a visit by the little ones when nothing worked right after they left. They had played with every switch they could reach, and there were plenty. It took me a day to set everything right. After some initial anger, both DW and I were laughing about the adventure. In retrospect it is still funny and they are enough older that they are respectful of the coach and ask before doing anything.

However the kitchen sink in our Phaeton is laid out such that removing the sink cover inevitably opens the faucet!! I await out next water event with trepidation.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #35

Evveryones right u will have bumps in
The rode but still rving is great fun
and u probably helped many people here that never thought of this happening. I myself wont leave grey take closed anymore .. so thank u
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #36

Could have been worse, we have an older motor home and our bathroom sink drains into the black water tank. Imagine the mess that would make if we left that faucet on. I wouldn't let it get you down I would take the minor inconveniences of rving over a tent any day of the week.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
In late August stayed in the camper before my DHs surgery that was scheduled for mid-September. He started feeling bad so packed up in a hurry and headed home. Didn't get back to our camper until two weeks ago and discovered I had left some lights on. Will now need to replace the plastic covers where they melted a little bit. I wondered if they could have caught fire. Spent the weekend cleaning our lot from nearly two months of neglect. Bone tired because I had to do it by myself. Came back home and realized I had left the furnace on low. Would have cost more in gas then to refill the propane tanks. I am learning to do a lot of things that would normally fall to him. I know how discouraging it can be and the need to rant and continue on. It helped that a friend invited me out and encouraged me to just talk about everything I had been through as the primary caregiver and now having to do it all.

I had to buy a generator, find gas cans, fill said gas cans all on Saturday in preparation for Hurricane Sandy. Race down to the camper on Sunday to make sure everything was stowed and tied down in preparation for said hurricane.

My point is stuff happens and I am learning AND I need a check list. This is all new having to do everything. I even thought about getting on the roof to clean it, but decided as I was alone it might not be a good idea.

Rant all you want. With this site you will always have friends. Hang in there and I hope you keep RVing.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #38
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
By now I suspect you have a handle on this, and I hope that includes continuing the RV lifestyle.

Did you call you insurance company? I'm guessing, subject to your deductible, they would have paid someone to come in and dry and clean your carpets as well as address any other water related damage.

As I read your original post I can't help but think back to my years at State Farm Insurance, claim department. It's not only RV folks that make "mistakes" (keep in mind, it was not a failure on any part or system of the RV). You'd roll on the floor with sides aching from laughter if you could read some of the claim reports I've seen over the years. People have done a LOT more "stupid" things than having left a faucet running, and some of them lost their home! (...the not so funny reports)

See you on the road.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #39
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
By now I suspect you have a handle on this, and I hope that includes continuing the RV lifestyle.

Did you call you insurance company? I'm guessing, subject to your deductible, they would have paid someone to come in and dry and clean your carpets as well as address any other water related damage.

As I read your original post I can't help but think back to my years at State Farm Insurance, claim department. It's not only RV folks that make "mistakes" (keep in mind, it was not a failure on any part or system of the RV). You'd roll on the floor with sides aching from laughter if you could read some of the claim reports I've seen over the years. People have done a LOT more "stupid" things than having left a faucet running, and some of them lost their home! (...the not so funny reports)

See you on the road.
As above, contact your insurance company and get a reference name for a restoration contractor to come out an look at your situation and make some recommendations. By doing this, you are not putting in a claim unless you choose to have the insurance company pay. Nothing says you can't hire the restoration contractor directly. By asking your agent, you will be assured that you will be getting someone they recommend and has experience in your situation.

I know this first hand as I am a Project Manager for such a company and we do this all the time. In many cases, we help customers at a reduced rate as we understand costs for the insured and also creates some goodwill with your insurance company.

In your case, once the carpet has been wet this long and the odor is apparent, it is very difficult to fully remove. If your RV has underpad under the carpet, it should be removed as it will virtually never dry and acts like a sponge. Pad is cheap to replace. The other worry you may have is where the water went aside from the carpet. (ie: under cabinets etc.)

Good luck in what ever avenue you choose, it sounds like you have a fairly healthy outlook on things.

Trust me when I say, if we all quit RVing after mishaps, there would be nobody on the road or in campsites!

I realize your situation has more things to think about but keep your chin up as you are doing!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Faith, you're a real trooper! I can't imagine my wife having the responsibility you have and going through a stressful situation like that! I admire you so much for sticking by your husband and continueing the RV lifestyle! Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #41

I am reminded of what happened to driver Kevin Harvick (if you follow any NASCAR). He was a little late getting to an interview and explained that his niece had somehow flooded his entire gillion $$$ motorhome with the black tank! Now THAT is demoralizing. But at his level, where the custom Prevost is provided free for his use, only gross and funny.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #42

We just had a similar problem. Purchased a 95 Beaver and drove it to Il. from Las Vegas. Been on road for 3 days when the Flush pedal on the stool didn't come all the way up, I guess. I was driving and wife asked me to pull over just 50 mi. from home cause water all over the floor. It was from 80 gal. of fresh water filling the Black tank and over flowing. We bailed the water out of the Stool and turned the pump off. Dumped everything later and used ShopVac to clear carpet then set up fan to dry it out. From now on we will leave the Pump shut off till we need to use it, just for Safety sake.