Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #1

Floor covering replacement

Does anyone have experience in replacing the carpet and tile with wood laminate and maybe some better looking tile? I have a 2004 HR Scepter DST(bath & 1/2) that we love except for the floors (and that terrible looking 3M front end shield--another subject). Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Barditch
Barditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!

Suggest to use the search feature as there are several already existing threads on replacing flooring. Vinyl, laminate flooring, etc. are viable options.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Let us know what type of flooring is under the slideouts and the brand of slideout mechanism used. This may be an issue in certain scenarios.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barditch View Post
Does anyone have experience in replacing the carpet and tile with wood laminate and maybe some better looking tile? I have a 2004 HR Scepter DST(bath & 1/2) that we love except for the floors (and that terrible looking 3M front end shield--another subject). Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Barditch

Look at my post #75 in this thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/anot...-213472-6.html

Good luck (you're gonna need it), happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

I DIY'd mine and documented the process.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...ss-195805.html

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced the carpet in our Vectra 40AD with cork flooring which we absolutely love. It's warm under foot in the cooler periods and blends in with the existing tile and wood colours. I transitioned between tile and cork using aluminum trim with a beige plastic cap. I replaced the carpet in the drivers area with heavy duty rubber which is far more durable and looks good.

A word of caution, if your slides retract over the carpet be sure the leading edge will clear the new flooring!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Laminate is not the top choice - it has a composite backer that is moisture susceptible and is designed to be a free-floating floor held in place by edge moldings. It can be used in an RV, but a much better choice would be luxury vinyl plank (or tile, if you prefer) or engineered wood. These can be glued down and be fit tight to the walls (no expansion space needed).

Be aware that your flush floor slide won't be flush anymore if you put wood, laminate or vinyl on it. There will be a slight step up, anywhere from 0.5"-0.75" in most cases.

You also must be very careful that the new flooring isn't too tall, so that the slides go over it. Exactly what "too tall" means depends on the design of your slides. A friend just put vinyl plank in his 2004 Diplomat and got it a shade too high, so has to be slip a spacer in before retracting the flush floor lounge slide, to avoid scratching the main floor. This is a job that really calls for real experience to get it perfect.

I just replaced the carpet in my own coach and stayed with carpet, even though we like wood and vinyl floors. Carpet doesn't scratch and is forgiving on height, plus it feels good to my toes!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Laminate is not the top choice - it has a composite backer that is moisture susceptible and is designed to be a free-floating floor held in place by edge moldings. It can be used in an RV, but a much better choice would be luxury vinyl plank (or tile, if you prefer) or engineered wood. These can be glued down and be fit tight to the walls (no expansion space needed).

Be aware that your flush floor slide won't be flush anymore if you put wood, laminate or vinyl on it. There will be a slight step up, anywhere from 0.5"-0.75" in most cases.

You also must be very careful that the new flooring isn't too tall, so that the slides go over it. Exactly what "too tall" means depends on the design of your slides. A friend just put vinyl plank in his 2004 Diplomat and got it a shade too high, so has to be slip a spacer in before retracting the flush floor lounge slide, to avoid scratching the main floor. This is a job that really calls for real experience to get it perfect.

I just replaced the carpet in my own coach and stayed with carpet, even though we like wood and vinyl floors. Carpet doesn't scratch and is forgiving on height, plus it feels good to my toes!

+1
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

We just did ours and the jury is still out. They look great, but I used the peel and stick vinyl "wood" strips. Some folks have reported they will bubble up. Mine so far have not, but it has only bee 2 months. However if they do stay in place and dnot bubble up I think it will be beacuse of a few reasons: 1. I was maticulous in cleaning the subfloor first. In fact I went through 6-8 of the painters tack cloths and made sure there was almost no dust/dirt left. I think that is the biggest issue (glue doesnt stick to things when there is dirt in between!). 2. Its been hot where I live in Livermore, CA so I "think" the glue was more tacky and able to absorb somewhat into the wood creating a more complete bond? Again, this is all specualtion, and it is early. I'll let you know what happens when it gets cold and the floors want to contract!
Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
what Gary said!!
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did mine, too. I don't know how to link to it here, but you can find the thread under my name. Or search for Allure and look for Replacing Carpet with Allure. Ouch! There's a lot in there about what NOT to do. Totally worth all the issues in the end, though. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410998070.339707.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	703.7 KB
ID:	74134BeforeClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410998206.615436.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	815.8 KB
ID:	74135After
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement