Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Floor plan musings...

It's cold/sleeting here, the calm before the bustling of tomorrow starts & I got to thinking about floor plans.

A great number of late model motorhomes have the 1 & 1/2 bath layouts. That's great for those who travel w/family or have guests. But, for just the 2 of us (which is 99.9% of the time) I don't need 2 bath sinks/toilets to maintain. What I'd really like is more than the 18 inches of free kitchen counter space that I have now. Between the sink & the stove top, there's very little free counter available. I can have the toaster oven or the coffee maker on the counter but not both. Throw in the blender, iced tea maker & the Crock-Pot I use all the time & I'm juggling appliances around the coach to find room to use them all.

It would be nice if a mfr would have a floorplan without that 1/2 bath, give me a smidge more space in the bedroom & put the rest of the real estate into more kitchen counter space with more than 1 outlet on the backsplash.

Is it just me or do others think 1 & 1/2 baths is not really necessary for just 2 people?

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A floor plan with 1 1/2 bath was the deal breaker for us and there is just the 2 of us. I did manage to also get pretty good counter space
The 1 1/2 bath is really great & will probably get better as we age
Attached Images

Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lori
I guess it all depends on the MH. Our newly acquired MH, American Coach Revolution 42W, has the counter space the wife is happy with. Our Fleetwood Providence 40X was very lacking in counter space. I think it boils down to the design of the MH no matter what the size. It's like wife and have always said, a MH is an exercise in compromise!!
RonK

Happy Thanksgivings to all

Just waiting for the holidays to take off for points south, that is after Christmas, so we can really explore the features of our new MH!!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

What do you do with all the appliances when you are underway?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
What do you do with all the appliances when you are underway?
They go in their respective cabinets. I use them all enough once set up that I don't want to keep taking them in & out. I'd rather get them out just once, then put them away when it's time to leave. I know, I know: deal w/it. Actually, I do.....we eat out.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ours isn't really a 1 & 1/2 bath model but the "john" room does have an extra sink which we could not live without.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have bath & 1/2 and can't live without it. We had many children travel with us through the years and extra bath was a need.
Now that its the two of us still wouldn't be with out it. The 1/2 bath is big but wife takes the full bath when the slides are opened.
The half bath is also handy when you may have a guest or gran-kids traveling with you.
I have a gas coach 38' and room and space is ample for us but if your looking at DP's it is a different world everything will just be larger with baths, kitchen counters, space between slides " you have a dance floor" and more CCC for all your stuff.
Here is a coach with two 1/2 bath floor plans.
http://newmarcorp.com/uploads/brochu...ure_lowres.pdf
Good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
I travel solo with occasional guests, and can't imagine giving up space for another bathroom. Yes, I'm alone, but even when I was married and living stick and brick, my late husband and I didn't use the 2nd bathroom.
I'd much rather have more space for storage and no 1/2 bath. But from the comments, it seems to be matter of personal preference.
Good luck!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just checked with my wife and she votes for more kitchen space over an extra 1/2 bath. Of course in a perfect world we would get both!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Floor plan

We want a king bed, recliner chairs and 4 slides. We have a 2008 3 slides and hope someone buys a 2010 or 2011 with that floor plan and then trade it in 2012,2013. We will then buy at 75% or less of orignal price. One bath ok by us.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Just checked with Nancy and she would love the bath and a half over more kitchen space.... but that probably speaks more to what it's like sharing a bathroom with me than it does on her need for more counter space...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We had a bath and a quarter - an extra sink & large vanity in the hallway area. Had no real need for it - there is a very nice sink and vanity in the toilet room, so we removed the extra sink and built in a storage closet instead. We get far more value out of that than the few times we might like an extra sink & vanity area.

That's why they make multiple floor plans - we all have different wants and needs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #13

Ours has the full bath that extends the width of the rear of the coach. It's large and appreciated. The half bath (sink and toilet) is also of a good size and is located opposite of the kitchen area, so there's no loss of counter or cabinet space there. Both baths have a lot of cabinet space for storage. What I really like about the 1/2 bath is you do not have to climb over the rear bed to get to a bathroom when under way.

I kid the DW that as our age advances, the path to the rear bath may start to look like a 'runway' as the 'high pressure vessel' builds! We love the 1 and 1/2 arangement...if we do trade in for a single bath version, I guess we could convert the forward overhead TV into a 'Depends' dispenser. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
You can have a bath-and-a-half and plenty of kitchen counter space too -- we do, in a 2008 Mandalay 43A. You just have to shop widely, and look at lots of floor plans.