Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

Floor rotted under freshwater tank

Any body have any information of how to get the fresh water tank out of a 2013 Thor 40 ex Tuscany? I purchased this unit used and have discovered there has been an apparent leak that has caused the floor to rot. The holding tanks that are mounted above the fresh water tank does not appear to be enough room to slide the tank out? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Boodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodog View Post
Any body have any information of how to get the fresh water tank out of a 2013 Thor 40 ex Tuscany? I purchased this unit used and have discovered there has been an apparent leak that has caused the floor to rot. The holding tanks that are mounted above the fresh water tank does not appear to be enough room to slide the tank out? Any ideas would be appreciated.
This may not be the best solution for you but.... I had the same problem on my previous 1990 coach and I had to cut the tank out piece by piece. Once it was out I replaced the floor and put in a smaller tank so that it would slide in properly. Good luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It's most likely not a leak but condensation that has rotted your plywood. Unless you can prove your tank has a leak, do not replace it. You will need to remove the tanks to repair the floor and you can inspect for leaks at that time. You will want to replace the compartment floor with something that is waterproof on top of the plywood. Addotopma; supports might be in order as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't advise you on that problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

I had the same thing happen to my Tuscany 42RQ which I bought new. It is a factory problem that I reported. I had another friend with a Tuscany and he had the same problem. Thor said they would fix it at no charge if I brought it to them. 17 hour drive,,,no I fixed it myself. I pulled out the freshwater tank, no problem. Tore out the rotten wood. Bought a 1/2" thick sheet of HDPE. Cut it to fit on the entire bay section. I did weld in two more braces. All went well. Now I have a floor that will not rot. Feel free to pm me if you want more details. Bobby
AikenRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRacer View Post
I had the same thing happen to my Tuscany 42RQ which I bought new. It is a factory problem that I reported. I had another friend with a Tuscany and he had the same problem. Thor said they would fix it at no charge if I brought it to them. 17 hour drive,,,no I fixed it myself. I pulled out the freshwater tank, no problem. Tore out the rotten wood. Bought a 1/2" thick sheet of HDPE. Cut it to fit on the entire bay section. I did weld in two more braces. All went well. Now I have a floor that will not rot. Feel free to pm me if you want more details. Bobby
Just curious, that was the source of your leak ?
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone that has responded, I could fix the dog gone thing if I could figure out how to get the tank out. It's bigger that the hole where the side door is? Maybe I will contact Thor and see if they can recommend a procedure to get the tank out. I doubt they would cover under warranty since I am a second owner and it's a 2013 model. Again thanks for the all the replies and if anyone has any further information please pass it on.
Boodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't advise you on that problem! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

If you can’t help the OP with his question, why bother to post this?
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
To pad his post count is my guess. I've put him on my ignore list because he rarely has anything useful to add to a thread.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Join the ongoing discussion about "welcome" messages here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/welco...ml#post4093592

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #11

The source of the leak was basically me. This compartment also houses my dump valves, flush valves, etc. I presumed it was a "wet" compartment and was not really trying to keep water spillage out of it. Well, I found out different. I was treating it kind of like a tile or vinyl floor in your bathroom at home....
Old 03-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #12

Also, once I disconnected all the plumbing fittings on the water tank, it slid out the passenger side compartment door with about a .001" clearance on each side after lifting it up slightly. Be sure the tank is empty also.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Well so far he has not tried to insult someone for no real reason.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, tank, water