Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

flooring

we are thinking about ripping out the disgusting rug in our '02 Bounder and replacing with a wood laminent. Has anyone done that? How much weight does this add?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
it doesn't add much weight at all.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #3

No problem I did it to my Southwind two slides you just have to prepare the sub flooring, also don't panic when you see the carpet under all the cabinetry just cut up to cabinets and remove old carpet

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

I did it in my '91 Elite. We only took out the kitchen and the hall. Left the living room and the bedroom carpeted. It was about a three hour project and I don't think it added any measurable weight! Go for it, you'll be glad you did!

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I did my '95' Damon Daybreak. I cut all of the carpet (no slides) out, including up front where doghouse is. Even re-did doghouse. Just go slow and careful. On the floor, i found the centerline of the motorhome and then measured carefully so I knew ahead of time where all of the seams of the floor would be. You want to do this so you can set the first line so your 'thinner' cuts end up next to the wall and you have enough at the entry door so it won't split on you later. Just a little more effort that way, but does save a lot of mistakes. Good luck

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My brother ripped out all of his carpeting and replaced with real hardwood. Now thats heavy.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyall View Post
No problem I did it to my Southwind two slides you just have to prepare the sub flooring, also don't panic when you see the carpet under all the cabinetry just cut up to cabinets and remove old carpet
how did you prepare the sub flooring? how did you finish the outer edges?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
how did you prepare the sub flooring? how did you finish the outer edges?
I just replaced the flooring in my 36' Southwind from the driver's seat all the way through the galley, hallway, and bedroom. It took about 160 square feet of laminate (I did not lay any flooring under the rear bed pedestal, I left the original carpet in there; I cut out the carpet around the pedestal and finished it off with molding-more on the shoe molding in a moment). I purchased the laminate at a place called Lumber Liquidators (check online for deals).

I pulled up the old carpet and the hundred or so staples tha went with it. I left down the old vinyl and laid the laminate on top of it. As for any other floor prep, there really wasn't any (just make sure you don't have any "lumps" under the laminate).

The laminate flooring floats so there is no need for gluing, but I did glue the laminate to the uprights at the steps and on top of the steps.

I used stairnosing around the steps and shoe mold everywhere else. I also purchased these at LL and they were pre-stained to match the laminate that I bought.

Steve
Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #9

Thanks for all of your help. The floor is in and it looks great!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueandbill View Post
Thanks for all of your help. The floor is in and it looks great!
You will NEVER regret it. Ours has been in about a year and it is holding up well. We did buy a 2'X12' runner for the center of the flooring at Lowe's to help protect the planking and for the dogs to sleep on. When it gets dirty I hose it down and let it dry in the sun.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote