Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flooring advice

Need some advice from those who have done this before. I have removed the carpet and vinyl tile from my Journey. I'm still working on removing the 59 gals. of adhesive that Winnebago used in the front. I am going to put in a new floor. We do NOT want a wood look, prefer a tile look. Don't know what to use, laminate, porcelain or ceramic.
Here is my question. The front 4 ft or so (cab) area of my coach has a metal floor, from there back is plywood. Will thinset stick to the metal?
I was thinking about using "Ditra" under the tile, but it too is placed on thinset. Anyone done tile in the cab?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

I haven't done it in a MH, but have put in a number of floors in a house. As in other things, you will have to balance various needs in making a decision.
The most durable would be tile, but it would be heavy and could give you cracked grout problems due to movement. If I were to use tile, I would stick with the porcelain type that is colored all the way through. The cheaper ones are only colored at the surface and wear shows. Wood doesn't do well in wet environments, so that would be a consideration. But there are a number of engineered wood products that are much less prone to warpage. Linoleum, or sheet goods are lightweight and wear resistant, but when you remove them, you do run into the 59 gallons of glue. Whatever you do, you need to put yur choice on the right substrate with the correct adhesive and installation method.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We removed the ceramic tile and carpet a couple or years ago. We replaced it with sheet vinyl flooring that looks like tile. We have had a lot of ooohs and aaaahs over it. It is very durable, very easy to clean, and looks absolutely beautiful.

The ceramic tile was terribly cold on the feet, and the carpet was impossible to keep clean.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #4

As Full.Monte alluded to, the problem going from plywood to the metal metal floor is the the expansion and contraction rate of the two are different and you will end up with cracks at that joint.

Ditra is a great product and will protect the floor from some movement of the sub structure but the problem is the thinset. Thinset does not typically stick well to metal. The metal is not porous enough. However, you might be able to find a flexible substitute for adhering the Ditra to the metal. Still, not sure how well that would work. Even if you do find a a way to make Ditra work, just make sure you have enough height under the slides (if you have any) so the slide does not hit the finished floor.

When we ( I am a builder) have to cross different subfloor materials with flooring, a floating floor is generally used. I have never used the Allure Product but many have with success. That might be something to look into. It does have a unique locking mechanism and does come in "tile". If fact, some of the Allure products have a texture to them also giving them a realistic look.

Good luck on what ever you choose and please post your results. I am interested in what your solution would be in the cab area.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIlBoy View Post
Need some advice from those who have done this before. I have removed the carpet and vinyl tile from my Journey. I'm still working on removing the 59 gals. of adhesive that Winnebago used in the front. I am going to put in a new floor. We do NOT want a wood look, prefer a tile look. Don't know what to use, laminate, porcelain or ceramic.
Here is my question. The front 4 ft or so (cab) area of my coach has a metal floor, from there back is plywood. Will thin set stick to the metal?
I was thinking about using "Ditra" under the tile, but it too is placed on thin set. Anyone done tile in the cab?
A product to use on the metal floor is ULTRA- SET it comes in a tube something like cookie dough would come in. Your higher end ceramic stores should have it. It will stick to the metal, wood, concrete anything and is flexible...then your flexible thin set will stick to that...Ultra-set is also waterproof...Metal must be clean
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
In my Journey the factory installed ceramic tile. However there are areas where they also have carpet. One of the areas is directly below the drivers feet and that is on metal. Finding a natural break in the floor contours or the material of the subfloor it may be the wise choice to not install tile in that area.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I will look at the options this week, keeping in mind what you have told me. I will update when the decision is made.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #8

We had the same problem when we replaced the tile/carpet on our rig. I handled it by covering the metal area between the seats with wooden underlayment about 3/16" or 1/4" thick. The underlayment was fastened with screws to the metal floor. It wasn't level and followed the contours of the metal. Then I used a leveling compound and a metal straightedge to insure it was smooth both ways. After it was dry, I glued the vinyl tile to the underlayment. Under the seats was carpeted using contact cement. I made my own transition strip between the two levels. This setup has worked well for us, no evidence of flexing or breaking. We used Nafco vinyl tile from Tarkett.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HorizonFloor.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	16258  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Mannington Adura is a quality luxury vinyl tile that will flex better then ceramic.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #10

We used 12" vinyl tile squares from Home Depot that look like ceramic tile. We installed on a 90 degree angle and painted all edges dark brown and did not use grout; if your floor did not have tile from the factory it probably will flex to much to use grout. If you do not stain or paint the edges, they may show since we did not use grout. To put down vinyl tile you use a prep solution to help the self stick adhesive stick better. One year later the floor looks great. In the slide out we used carpet like the original. You must allow for the thickness difference between the original flooring and the new by re-adjusting the slide out height or you might dammage your new floor. DACOTAH
Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Google LVT (luxury vinyl tile)flooring, looks like tile, less weight than tile or laminate, far more attractive than vinyl, easier to maintain than carpet.

Comes in a variety of styles, wood, bamboo, stone, cork, and almost every color in the rainbow. You can add feature strips from around a 1/4" wide up to about 6" wide for a distinctive look. They also make LVT with beveled edges.

Typically the tiles are 1/8" thick, depending upon the glue used it could add as much as another 1/8" for 1/4" total. Obviously need to evaluate slide clearance. You can also use an adhesive that will let you remove a damaged tile and slip another in it's place. Forget the name of the adhesive.

Here is the link to Armstrong's site, just the first that came up Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring by Armstrong
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #12

The tile that SDENNISLEE is referring to is what we used. It is more expensive than the basic vinyl tile but more durable and attractive. Both Lowes and Home Depot carry different versions of it. Since the edges are beveled, it looks more like ceramic tile than the other types. If you want to grout it you could use sanded silicone grout but the application would be difficult. If you look through sales brochures for new coaches you will see where tile is used and how carpet is used in the drivers area. We used wood trim molding stained to match the cabinets to finish off the installation. DACOTAH