Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #29

After a bit more research (and a lot more indecision) I am looking at this engineered flooring product Ernie had top on his list. 3/8" thick which is a plus. Was previously giving solid strand bamboo the nod, but have learned through research that solid woods are much more susceptible to moisture and temperature variations then the engineered floorings.

My mind will change in a few I am sure.

Hardwood Floors and Laminate Flooring | ColumbiaFlooring.com

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
After a bit more research (and a lot more indecision) I am looking at this engineered flooring product Ernie had top on his list. 3/8" thick which is a plus. Was previously giving solid strand bamboo the nod, but have learned through research that solid woods are much more susceptible to moisture and temperature variations then the engineered floorings.

My mind will change in a few I am sure.

Hardwood Floors and Laminate Flooring | ColumbiaFlooring.com

Chris
I was thinking about that stuff too. Major concern is when you are going under a counter or a slide you can't always lift at the angle you need to "click" the pieces together. The tiles just slide under.

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I was thinking about that stuff too. Major concern is when you are going under a counter or a slide you can't always lift at the angle you need to "click" the pieces together. The tiles just slide under.

I would get the tongue and groove not the click. If need be remove the tongue on the last pies (glueing anyways) You can install up to the wall. You could replace one if needed too with some effort and glue ;-)

Chris
Old 03-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I am putting LVT in my 2004 Safari Zanzibar.. lots of advice from Ernie as I took on this project. Was MUCH more difficult to get out the old ceramic tile and underlayment than it was to put down new underlayment and LVT. After the demo, it took about 5 1/2 hours to cut and install the underlayment as well as put down adhesive and LVT. I have not totally finished yet. This is a two bath coach - still have to do rear bath and finish the entry step area. I'm VERY please at this point.Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari Flooring.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	57513
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
you can cut the little protrusion that makes this click material lock in place. I have just shaved that bump off with a utility knife. It is also true you can cut the bottom groove off to achieve a tight fit.
Bath and half? Man that would be ideal.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
you can cut the little protrusion that makes this click material lock in place. I have just shaved that bump off with a utility knife. It is also true you can cut the bottom groove off to achieve a tight fit.
Bath and half? Man that would be ideal.
Just so I am clear there is click n lock and there is what looks like nothing but a straight slot. Which is easiest/best for glueing down and can either be used? The reason I ask is that at least at Lowes when we were looking at samples, it appeared that some wood designs/types/shades were not always available in both edge types. However, that could just be Lowes stocking choices.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #35

both styles can be glued down. The tongue and groove is the method I prefer. For example: when you get close to a wall, you can cut the bottom part of the groove. after you cut that and have your piece cut then you can drop it in place. It takes many times to cut since there are no square walls and sometimes you have to scribe the new wood to the wall. Practice, practice
Old 03-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #36

Don,
They come in all shapes and sizes. I like the regular old tongue and groove if floor is being glued. If floated, the click style has an advantage in mechanically kpping floor together. Another advantage of tongue and groove that I can see is that accessory pieces fit flush instead of having the thicker.

Still havent changed my mind and it has been a few hours. Engineered flooring. I like 3/8 inch, repairable surface and very clean and abundant accessory piece options.

Chris
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #37

exactly- all the accessories are available. They match and the end result looks like you spent a million bucks on your coach.
Look at the photo. This shows the matching stairnose trim. Very stylish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03675.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	57527  
Old 03-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #38

I can't wait to tear into my job EXCEPT pulling the tile. I presume that will suck...

Chris
Old 03-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I can't wait to tear into my job EXCEPT pulling the tile. I presume that will suck... Chris
Keep us posted on how that goes.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #40

Quote:
I can't wait to tear into my job EXCEPT pulling the tile. I presume that will suck...

Chris
pretty much~
Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
exactly- all the accessories are available. They match and the end result looks like you spent a million bucks on your coach.
Look at the photo. This shows the matching stairnose trim. Very stylish.
Skyboss,
Ernie's pic above illustrates the huge advantage of the engineered and solid flooring over laminate. Since not designed to float the accessory pieces butt up to the flooring flush. With laminate the accessories go over the top to allow the laminate to float underneath. Not nearly as nice a finished product. Also, in not floating the floor and gluing it down, no need to use quarter round moulding around the perimeter, again, much nicer without that. I am at the point of anal retention, that when I see a house with beautiful new floors but they installed qtr round instead of pulling the baseboard and reinstalling it looks half-assed. All of this is steering me towards engineered as I think with time you can get a much better finished product then laminate. Engineered is also more dimensionally stable giving it the nod over solid flooring. I personally am not a fan of LVT aesthetically (obviously personal choice only!!) and am concerned about what the slide can or will do to an uneven fragile surface. With a pre-distressed engineered floor, touchups are simple. With LVT, not so much. One of my slides, my biggest, has rollers. My other 3 do not. I would hate to drop 2K on materials and a ton of time into a job and have my slide gouge up my flooring in my main living area and not be able to cover it up. If my slides had no rollers it would really open up my options or increase my appetite for risk.

If you do the LVT, you can avoid quarter round but will need something at areas like your stairwell to cover the edge. All totally doable, and can be made to look great.

All this talk has me thinking I should pull my rig from storage and start the demo work. Would be nice to have it all torn apart before I order product so I know precisely which accessory pieces I need and how much. There are a few quirks in the bedroom that will require creativity. ;-)

I think my next camping trip is in April. ;-) I have a deadline!!

Chris
Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #42

Mine is in April, also.
I always check to see how the slide works by just laying a few pieces of flooring and bringing the slide in. If the slide touches any of the wood, it will push it as it moves in. Ok- on to Plan B: then I go ahead and install the floor and give the client a few pieces of lvt planks to use as "slide slickers". This way the slide rides on the lvt- an leaves the main floor intact. They are 3 feet long and you can stick them in a closet when parked.