Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...another piece of the puzzle as I put this together.

I finally got a chance to get accurate weight data on my current tile floor and it comes in at 3.45# per sq ft. I was really wishing it was heavier. I estimate that I have about 167 sq ft of tile that will be removed. That means I have about 576# of tile give or take.

This is what I currently have and if someone can find a math error, I think my weight estimate is correct. MY TILE

I have to admit I was waffling on the choice of EW after seeing some plank flooring. Some of it looked pretty darn good. It is also pretty economical but let me put that to the side for a moment.

What I was thinking was that it was going to be significantly lighter than EW. I've been having a problem getting to easy to find weight information but after a while I was comfortable with data on the Home Depot site that has some of it. In general, it looks like plank tile is around 1.4 to 1.6# per sq ft. Using HD data I found a Bruce EW product in 3/8" come in at about 1.2# per sq ft. Now...THAT surprised me. I would guess that the weight will have some variations based on manufacturer and wood type. If all that I have found is correct in a ball park sense, there is no reason to go with plank vinyl for weight savings...it may actually be a tad heavier then EW.

BTW...I have ruled out LVT squares. Gone...done. LOL

Now, plank tile may have a few advantages such as being more water/stain resistant than EW. I was told it is easy to replace when glued down with releasable glue that when heated up, allows you to pull up a plank and then lay another one down. Once the glue cools...done.

OTOH...look at the gorgeous entry way of the Neptune! Do that with vinyl.

OK...the other factor is Cost. Using Home Depot prices EW of good quality runs between $2.59 and $7.58 per sq ft. Very wide range based on wood and quality. Plank vinyl runs between $1.70 to $3.44 per sq ft. For me after you add the bedroom I have no more than 200 sq ft of flooring. If I say $5 for EW and $2 for plank, flooring costs are about $1000 vs $400. $600 sounds like a lot but if we really like the wood look and how it can be trimmed out...why not?

Ya...I am anal retentive!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
the bamboo in the Neptune was a bit over $5 per foot.
the stairnose, since it is solid bamboo is priced around 34 bucks each piece- 6 foot pieces . expensive- probably- how does it look? Marvelous!!
Will you have the WOW factor- you betcha

Old 03-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
the bamboo in the Neptune was a bit over $5 per foot.
the stairnose, since it is solid bamboo is priced around 34 bucks each piece- 6 foot pieces . expensive- probably- how does it look? Marvelous!!
Will you have the WOW factor- you betcha
Don, as Ernie said, don't forget how much the trim pieces cost, woofah. Up to $80 a stick. I need to trim around the entry stairs, 4 slides and a little bump in the bedroom where the engine access cover is. A non trivial amount of money will be spent on very small pieces of wood.

Also, I am going out of my way to try to find trim pieces that are real wood. I am finding in my research that some of the companies are using vinyl covered particleboard for the matching trim. The trim on the entry and edges of slide will take enough abuse that I want wood I can fix the scratches on.

Seriously considering pulling the rig from storage this weekend and beginning the demo. If I do I will start a new thread and invite you to join me on my adventure!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #46

vinyl covered particleboard- that phrase makes me physically ill
almost as much as using gold metal- I'm really ill, now
Chris- let me know what material you chose and I'll check my suppliers.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Don, as Ernie said, don't forget how much the trim pieces cost, woofah. Up to $80 a stick. I need to trim around the entry stairs, 4 slides and a little bump in the bedroom where the engine access cover is. A non trivial amount of money will be spent on very small pieces of wood.

Also, I am going out of my way to try to find trim pieces that are real wood. I am finding in my research that some of the companies are using vinyl covered particleboard for the matching trim. The trim on the entry and edges of slide will take enough abuse that I want wood I can fix the scratches on.

Seriously considering pulling the rig from storage this weekend and beginning the demo. If I do I will start a new thread and invite you to join me on my adventure!

Chris
I'm thinking I will only need some kind of trim for the entry way like the Neptune project. I might also need some for the long slide up front but since we plan to retain carpet in that slide, maybe not. The other place might be the engine hatch like the Watkin's Mountain Aire. I could be wrong...
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm thinking I will only need some kind of trim for the entry way like the Neptune project. I might also need some for the long slide up front but since we plan to retain carpet in that slide, maybe not. The other place might be the engine hatch like the Watkin's Mountain Aire. I could be wrong...
Don't forget you have a trip through GA ahead and they have all the manufacturers there and many places that can custom make any molding.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #49

the flooring manufacturers, don't sell to the public, just through their distributors. I also have used a different stairnose from the new flooring. I did that in my entry as the maple was not available. I'll see if I can find a photo
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Are there any issues with Mohawk engineered floors? I found a natural hickory I really like, after some research I found 2 bad reviews, one guy had color fading from being under a rug, and some one else had joints opening up. I,m not sure if these were floating floors, but they were engineered. I plan on gluing mine down. Thanks, Bruce......
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #51

I see no issues with Mohawk. The fading may be due to a cheap rug with rubber back that off gasses, thus discoloring the floor.
There are so many wood kinds and manufacturers, my old brain can't remember them all
Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your help Ernie, I start tearing out my tile tomorrow. Bruce
Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #53

Ernie,
I am looking at the Columbia "Gunnison" line of flooring, haven't nailed down the precise stain yet tho. I like that it is 3/8", has solid moulding and more importantly, YOU recommended it ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #54

all good material. I really like the availability of trim accessories that the manufacturers have. I use to go to lumber liquidators but it seems their policy has changed and they say it takes a month to get the trim in. Bunk. You can overnite anything, anywhere. I hate retail people that give that excuse.
Bruce- get you a big ole' bottle of ibuprofen- don't ask me why
Old 03-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Bruce- get you a big ole' bottle of ibuprofen- don't ask me why
I worked in construction for 40 years, I know why. Bruce
Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #56

we must be baby boomers