Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Flooring Warranties?

I was talking with a flooring company about some options for LVT floating floor, and he commented that I would probably find that any flooring would have somewhere in the fine print of the warranty that it did not cover motorhomes/RVs. True?

TommyHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

It doesn't matter, flooring manufacturers like extended warranty companies don't cover anything that happens. It's always your fault that the product failed. Case in point Congoleum Dura-Ceramic Vinyl tile flooring.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if "motorhomes" are even on their event horizon. They usually specify the type of subfloors that can be used, e.g. concrete, wood over crawl space, wood over basement, tile, etc.

There may be words like "normal residential use" that could be used to exclude a coach or trailer, but mostly they are concerned about commercial vs private residences.

Here is the warranty statement for Allure Ultra vinyl:
Allure Flooring Warranty Information - Allure Flooring Official Website - Allure Flooring Support, Installation Tips, Reviews and More! Updated for 2015

As lllkrob says, it won't matter anyway...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Simply select what you like then contact the actual manufacturer to ask how it should be installed to meet warranty requirements.

Do not as if they cover it but ask for direction for proper installation to insure warranty then keep and follow that instruction then if any issues that document shows that you asked specific to your installation and they did not state no warranty...

Many units have tile floors that do not crack.

Ours has tile midship in bathroom and wood in kitchen and built in 1989 with no cracks other than a corner on a step.

A good quality manufacturer should be able to provide specific detail to proper installation.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
most manufacturers have installation instructions on their websites
Old 02-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

Tommy,

I have been thinking of installing vinyl plank flooring in my motor home like so many on this site have. Whenever I look at the warranty, I find a statement similar to the following: "The flooring must be used only indoors in a climate controlled areaThis was for SmartCore by Natural Floors luxury commercial vinyl planks. I found the statement here>>>
http://pdf.lowes.com/warrantyguides/...6_warranty.pdf
I have found similar statements on all of the other flooring that I looked at.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

Inside an rv is indoors and it does have climate control.

Just may not be used all the time.

As stated contact the manufacturer and work with a human.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
It doesn't matter, flooring manufacturers like extended warranty companies don't cover anything that happens. It's always your fault that the product failed. Case in point Congoleum Dura-Ceramic Vinyl tile flooring.
This is typically the outcome from MOST manufacturers of residential building materials. I owned custom home building companies for nearly three decades. I have had a factory rep. "diagnose" defects as "installation error" over the phone, while making it clear (in a round about way) that they had no intention of honoring their warranty. I have had a manufacture refuse a legitimate claim for a defect, then after being informed by the distributor that I was spending $30K a year, on their products, decide to send me $6K in new product as a "good will gesture". They also stuck me with a $10K bill for removal and replacement. OTOH, I recently had a large, click lock LVT flooring job fail within weeks of install. The manufacturer paid for the entire replacement, including removal, dump fees, new product, and installation. The reason they did the right thing? I have a loyal, twenty five year long relationship with my flooring retailer/installer, and the manufacturer knew that screwing either of us would not be in their best interest.

When it comes to a fairly low dollar sale, to a retail customer, for use in an RV, I would just assume that any printed warranty is essentially worthless. If you have an issue, and you are really willing to go at them like a crazed pit bull, you MIGHT get a credit toward replacement product, or even all new product. Where would that leave you? You then have a product with a history of non-performance, and a lot of uncompensated labor ripping out and reinstalling flooring.

If you research on flooring forums, there is no shortage of homeowners getting screwed by manufacturers when LVT, and similar products fail. Doesn't matter if it's buckling near windows, delaminating, seems unlocking, or other issues. Doesn't matter if they just spent $10K on a new floor that's failing, they all have the same story. The manufacturer blames the installer, and will not honor the warranty.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Slate Run, educate me.

What failed on your click lock LVT floor and how did the new floor fix that?

I may be doing one of these floors in a home this summer.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Bottom line for RV's seems to be;

All flooring "may" work. The RV is such a small floor compared to homes that we should get something that seems to never fail. This probably means spending a little more per foot.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Slate Run, educate me.

What failed on your click lock LVT floor and how did the new floor fix that?

I may be doing one of these floors in a home this summer.

Thanks
Garbage product from China. The finish layer was either chipped off the corners, or chipped and peeled off, within a few weeks.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
the old saying- you get what you pay for-
if you want cheap- don't complain cause its junk
Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
the old saying- you get what you pay for-
if you want cheap- don't complain cause its junk

I do not see where I was complaining, or specifically was seeking anything "cheap". The other issue is that I selected a higher end product, and the color was unavailable, anywhere, so the manufacturer recommended the product that failed.