RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
There are a few responses claiming they have never seen a CHP putting a tape measure to a motorhome. They are totally unaware why the CHP exists in the State of California - their sole purpose in life is to create revenue for the state of California. They are highly paid with gold-plated pensions to match and whenever the talk in Sacramento revolves around cutting benefits to state workers, they always exempt "Public Safety". Ever wonder why? Because if the CHP stopped writing tickets California would go broke. Trust me when I tell you that when a CHP types your license plate number into their computer, it spits out, in addition to all the registered owners etc, it also spits out the length of the vehicle. (The use is growing of the Automated License Plate Readers being used by the CHP) They will stop you and cite you. No doubt about it. Take a look at a CHP's badge, it does not say Peace Officer (like all police officers) but says Traffic Officer
I lived in California all my life until two years ago before I moved to Arizona for retirement. In all my years, I have NEVER had a CHP officer cut me some slack on a ticket. I have found Police Officers and Sheriffs, on occasions send me away with a warning.
A man in my RV Club moved from California recently. He made the mistake of buying a 43' Motorhome. As a law abiding citizen, he made three attempts to pass the driving test to drive his 43' rig. Each time resulted in failure. He has driven for years with a clean driving record but always seemed to get the same License Examiner who seem to hate Motorhome owners.
So, why couldn't your friend pass the test?

hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't sub-optimize on the coach you'd like, due to not wanting to pass class b testing. If it's like NC, it's not trivial, but on the other hand it's not as bad as some have made it out to be. My wife has done it as well.

Choose the best coach, and jump thru the DMV hoops you are supposed to and just get er done.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are getting a RV that requires a special license I would think it wise to get the license, then the RV.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #18

I run a 45ft coach and a stacker that measures 35ft with the tongue. I live in Ca for half the year and have for the last 10 years. I got pulled over on I5 for speeding. He wrote me a ticket and said "nice rig" and off I went. Being 80ft long he didn't need a tape as you could tell I was way over length with the eye.

I wouldn't stress about it much myself.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"sonic"......I didn't want to deal with the license either, plus we felt 40' was a perfect length for us. Keep in mind that the ladder is not part of the measurement and neither is the tow bar. From research I've done, safety equipment is also not included, including bumpers. The problem is, RV's really don't have a distinguishable bumper.

With all that said, our searched narrow us down to a 40' Allegro Bus or a Newmar Dutch Star. The Dutch Star won out because I was looking for a coach with a tag axle. Newmar is the only coach that offers a tag in a 40'. Our 2014 Dutch Star measures 39'11" bumper to bumper.

I agree, unless CHP makes measuring Class A motor homes a priority, you'll never be stopped for over length, within reason.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #20

So, how much is the fine for being over 40' AND having tires over 7 years old??

Old 09-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #21

Im sure the fine is well over $100. Plus the huge bill paying for the tow. If no one has the proper license the mh will be towed from the rode. Count on several hundred for that
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"sonic"......I didn't want to deal with the license either, plus we felt 40' was a perfect length for us. Keep in mind that the ladder is not part of the measurement and neither is the tow bar. From research I've done, safety equipment is also not included, including bumpers. The problem is, RV's really don't have a distinguishable bumper.

With all that said, our searched narrow us down to a 40' Allegro Bus or a Newmar Dutch Star. The Dutch Star won out because I was looking for a coach with a tag axle. Newmar is the only coach that offers a tag in a 40'. Our 2014 Dutch Star measures 39'11" bumper to bumper.

I agree, unless CHP makes measuring Class A motor homes a priority, you'll never be stopped for over length, within reason.
Interesting. I read that bumper to bumper (or front cap to rear cap) is the correct measurement as well.
The 2014 Dutch Star brochure lists your length at 40' 9" so Newmar must be including the ladder or other equipment in their measurement. The Ventana I'm considering is listed at 40' 10" in the brochure which based on the same 10" variance would put it at 40' 0" bumper to bumper and therefore would only require a standard class C license.
Thanks
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Im sure the fine is well over $100. Plus the huge bill paying for the tow. If no one has the proper license the mh will be towed from the rode. Count on several hundred for that
It's just a ticket. There is no towing or impounding involved.
I've read several accounts of people not having the correct class license and all received a ticket. One of the respondents in this thread mentioned he had the option of a speeding ticket or a ticket for the wrong license class.

I checked the vehicle code, which states:
"No vehicle shall be impounded pursuant to this section if the driver has a valid license but the license is for a class of vehicle other than the vehicle operated by the driver"

Also, on a previous topic, to confirm what other posters have stated, the vehicle code states:
"A peace officer shall not stop a vehicle for the sole reason of determining whether the driver is properly licensed."
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #24

>>>Also, on a previous topic, to confirm what other posters have stated, the vehicle code states:
"A PEACE officer shall not stop a vehicle for the sole reason of determining whether the driver is properly licensed."[/QUOTE]<<<

The problem with that is that CHP are NOT peace officers; they are TRAFFIC officers
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
[Mod edit] Your friend shouldn't be driving the 43 footer if he can't pass the test.
Fair point regarding my friend. But as far as the CHP - They are what they are: California State Revenuers. I respect Police (I have several buddies who are cops) but the CHP doesn't deserve an ounce of my respect. It's [Mod edit] personal experience.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #26

Our 38 foot has a queen sleeper.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #27

Get your class B. It's not difficult and it will give you a lot of information on driving a large rig safely. I have mine from the state of Texas which is required by weight not length. If your vehicle or your combined weight is over 26,001 lbs you must have a non commercial B.
Harricat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #28

The CHP has full police powers. Their primary duty is traffic enforcement on state highways but they also provide assistance to local law enforcement in criminal matters. Many times they are the only backup to a county sheriff deputy in more rural areas. The memorial in Sacramento is covered with names of officers who died providing non traffic duties.
Sorry about your bad experience with these traffic officers. To the original OP, I wouldn't sweat a few inches over 40ft.

falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, floor