Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #29

Interesting to discuss the distinctions, but this sums up what I've always understood:
"Modern legal codes use the term peace officer (or in some jurisdictions, law enforcement officer) to include every person vested by the legislating state with law enforcement authority—traditionally, anyone "sworn, badged, and armable" who can arrest, or refer such arrest for a criminal prosecution"
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #30

I would get the license for the MH you want. Yes, it's a little more trouble, but I'd rather be in a MH I am happy with and deal with a test every few years than to live with a second-choice MH every time I get in it. I'd not skip the proper licensing due to personal liability.

I like CA. Was stationed there a long time and may go back. While in the military there, I had to take the MC Safety course to ride on base even though I had the endorsement in my home state. For CA license holders, the course took the place of the driving test and they only completed the written test at the DMV office.

I don't know if that is a possibility with Class B or Class A in CA, but well worth a few phone calls. The DMV tester is there to test, not instruct. The class will give instruction and help you pass. You will complete the same tasks, but it's much easier when someone tells you what you did wrong and how to correct it and retest.

I did not take this RV course, so can't speak to quality.
MC provider may be able to refer someone
Central Coast Motorcycle Training - Home Page

RV training
https://www.rvbasictraining.com/
matt2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2525 View Post
I would get the license for the MH you want. Yes, it's a little more trouble, but I'd rather be in a MH I am happy with and deal with a test every few years than to live with a second-choice MH every time I get in it. I'd not skip the proper licensing due to personal liability.

I like CA. Was stationed there a long time and may go back. While in the military there, I had to take the MC Safety course to ride on base even though I had the endorsement in my home state. For CA license holders, the course took the place of the driving test and they only completed the written test at the DMV office.

I don't know if that is a possibility with Class B or Class A in CA, but well worth a few phone calls. The DMV tester is there to test, not instruct. The class will give instruction and help you pass. You will complete the same tasks, but it's much easier when someone tells you what you did wrong and how to correct it and retest.

I did not take this RV course, so can't speak to quality.
MC provider may be able to refer someone
Central Coast Motorcycle Training - Home Page

RV training
https://www.rvbasictraining.com/
Thanks! We'll be attending the Pomona RV show next week and it looks like RV Basic Training will be there, so I'll definitely talk to them.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #32

California is better then Nevada. I bought a 32 ft diesel coach after moving from California to Nevada thinking it would not require any special drivers license problems surely it would be less restrictive then California. I think Nevada is probibly the only western state that requires a special license for any coach be it 25 ft or 45 ft that has a gross weight rating of over 26,000 lbs also air brakes. As far as towing weight if the towed gross weight is over 10,000 lbs compared to California's 15,000 . Not to mention license tags Nevada only depreciates vehicles for 10 years so an old coach that cost a lot when new will always be expensive to license. Kind of makes me miss some of the nice things about California.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #33

I'd like to hear from someone that has been ticketed here for not having the correct drivers license for their MH that is. How about any 5th wheel towers that are over 15K lbs.
Don't forget us that tow over 65' long.
Anyone out there that's been pulled over for these items only?
Might as well add been in a accident and your insurance didn't pay because of one of the above.

My guess is its going to be ZERO.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #34

I got stopped once in a checkpoint at the Glamis dunes once. Showed I had a Utah license to match my plates and got waved around those getting measure or otherwise checked. Saw a couple officers writing tickets but not sure why.

Got pulled over and questioned and measured pulling a bumper pull on a road connecting hwy 1 and 101, in Northern California near the redwoods. Officer claimed it was to ensure I was under the length limit posted for that road. I was so I was let go. Seemed like he was just looking for anything he could find but can't say for sure. Seemed strange.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #35

Out of respect for your last sentence...I'll refrain Otherwise......

Safe travels friend

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I'd like to hear from someone that has been ticketed here for not having the correct drivers license for their MH that is. How about any 5th wheel towers that are over 15K lbs.
Might as well add been in a accident and your insurance didn't pay because of one of the above.

There was a bit of an uproar within FMCA a little over 10 years ago, where someone got pulled over, measured, and cited outside of Indio for the 65' law after a rally. FMCA started an initiative to lobby California to change the law , but obviously it didn't go anywhere.
Here's the letter and response.
http://www.prevostprouds.com/PDF/TicketLetter.pdf

Based on the responses here, and doing some digging on the Internet, it does seem to be a rare occurance (ignoring the false rumor someone started that the CHP had begun pulling over ALL class A's to check for proper class licenses. . )
Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post

While I haven't been ticketed...because we ARE properly equipped, licensed, and insured...we personally know some who have been ticketed. And, I doubt many would post here about their mistakes.

As was said, an equipment and license check is not probable cause for a vehicle stop.
BUT vehicles may be stopped during an enforcement emphasis like posted above at Glamis (Algodones Dunes).

This annual ritual hits many, many folks with tickets and fines. AND, they require the driver to drop the part of the illegal vehicle combination (the overweight/length trailer behind a truck -or- the over length motorhome pulling a car or Jeep). The owner must pick-up the illegal bit after proof of compliance within 1 day, or the vehicle is impounded from the side of the highway.

This would also be a risk in the event of a collision or vehicle stop for a legal probable cause. In the event of a collision, an insurance company could legally refuse coverage for the owner, if the driver was not properly licensed.

So, to the OP...I'd recommend getting the proper license. It is well known that some DMV offices are better to deal with than others...and all CA drivers can use any DMV office. Therefore I would use the one with good reviews from members here

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Not to mention license tags Nevada only depreciates vehicles for 10 years so an old coach that cost a lot when new will always be expensive to license. Kind of makes me miss some of the nice things about California.
That kind of made me chuckle. I live in a state where tags are $21.50 regardless of weight or depreciation or purchase price and we have no income tax. I can't imagine the mindset that thinks a differing depreciation schedule makes things better.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #39

I did have a friend pulled over for his lights being the wrong color and then was ticketed for being over the 26001 lbs in Texas and did not have the proper license. If he would have taken the non cdl license test he wouldn't have had the wrong color lights which led to getting two citations.
Harricat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"krudawg".....you obviously have an issue with law enforcement, which usually comes from someone who constantly violates the law! You're also posting bad information. It was well over twenty years ago when CHP became peace officers. Prior to that they were State Traffic officers and were not even allowed to carry firearms off duty. Another fallacy is that they write tickets to fund the state. I worked 35 years in County Law Enforcement and was never pushed to write tickets. The ticket writing is just another form of inaccurate bashing.

Let's talk about Glamis. Glamis has gotten to be a nightmare by people violating all types of towing laws. When most of us were young, we learned to tow behind old pick up trucks with drum brakes, stick shifts and underpowered engines. This younger generation hops into a new truck with close to 500 HP, tow/haul and exhaust brakes, four wheel disc brakes and all types of safety features. Unfortunately, they believe they can then overload these things and drive them like they would without a trailer attached. Many are hauling huge toy haulers with lifted 3/4 and 1 ton trucks which by nature are unstable. They drive them at 70 and feel the trucks will handle just like they will around town.

To combat this, law enforcement has had to crack down on these guys who think they can drive overweight and over length.

A couple of years ago, we were on a trip into Arizona where you can tow at 70 mph. On one trip we saw THREE toy haulers completely destroyed along the side of the road, where they lost control.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I remember when the legal limit for a motorhome in CA was 38'. Late 90's if I remember correctly. CA has always been behind/ahead of the rest of the country. It's a matter of perspective.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #42

Bought my MH in March, drove it home to CA from the dealer in Florida.

Even though I knew I would not be a Californian for too much longer I went ahead and got the non commercial class B. It is not that hard to do.

Based on my experience at the DMV and talking with them, they don't do that many of the non-comm class B's. Waaaaay fewer than there are coaches that require them.

Pretty unlikely you would ever have an issue with a MH 8"over 40' so probably fine either way but the license isn't that hard to get if you go that route. Just plan for the usual spending the day at the DMV and I can almost guarantee the will be confused....not sure what test to give you etc.

BTW no longer a Californian, South Dakota does not require a special license....took me about 15 minutes from walking in the door to walking out with my license in hand.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, floor