RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Got pulled over and questioned and measured pulling a bumper pull on a road connecting hwy 1 and 101, in Northern California near the redwoods. Officer claimed it was to ensure I was under the length limit posted for that road. I was so I was let go. Seemed like he was just looking for anything he could find but can't say for sure. Seemed strange.
He was checking your length for yours and everyone else’s safety. Several of those roads you mention do have overall length requirements for a reason. It’s because the longer rigs cannot safely negotiate those roads. Or get halfway down the road and can’t negotiate a turn and then find out you can’t back out.
The problem now becomes everyone’s problem, not just yours.

Why does everyone assume that the Police are out to get them all the time.
If your clearly within the legal limits for anything you do, then you will be fine.
Yea, it may take a few extra minutes of your time for the Police to figure it out but is that really going to make a difference in the end?

To the OP.
Get the proper training and license. It will ultimately make you a better driver.

Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #44

I don't have that problem across the border in Arizona.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unless there is a reason you are pulled over, no one knows what license class you have.

Just make sure all your lights are working!
Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"krudawg".....you obviously have an issue with law enforcement, which usually comes from someone who constantly violates the law! You're also posting bad information. It was well over twenty years ago when CHP became peace officers. Prior to that they were State Traffic officers and were not even allowed to carry firearms off duty. Another fallacy is that they write tickets to fund the state. I worked 35 years in County Law Enforcement and was never pushed to write tickets. The ticket writing is just another form of inaccurate bashing.

Let's talk about Glamis. Glamis has gotten to be a nightmare by people violating all types of towing laws. When most of us were young, we learned to tow behind old pick up trucks with drum brakes, stick shifts and underpowered engines. This younger generation hops into a new truck with close to 500 HP, tow/haul and exhaust brakes, four wheel disc brakes and all types of safety features. Unfortunately, they believe they can then overload these things and drive them like they would without a trailer attached. Many are hauling huge toy haulers with lifted 3/4 and 1 ton trucks which by nature are unstable. They drive them at 70 and feel the trucks will handle just like they will around town.

To combat this, law enforcement has had to crack down on these guys who think they can drive overweight and over length.

A couple of years ago, we were on a trip into Arizona where you can tow at 70 mph. On one trip we saw THREE toy haulers completely destroyed along the side of the road, where they lost control.
Actually I have no negative feelings about Police or Sheriff's. I support them totally and respect them. As I said, I have several friends who are retired police officers. I simply do not care for CHP and their often heavy handed approach to traffic violators - There are no gray area's with the CHP only Black and White. Yes, I have been stopped by the CHP several times in my youth. I have not had a ticket in almost 40 years but my experience with the CHP simply left a bad "taste" in my mouth. I just don't care for their brand of law enforcement.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #47

There is quite a bit of bad information layedout here, even that wich has been reported as a result of personal contact. Oft times an action (by the enforcement of traffic code and its resultant fine is totally misinterpreted by the citizen. Heres a few examples of the mis information that has been presented.
1. In ALL states, a 'routine' initiation of a traffic stop is NOT a siezure nor an arrest. There is NO requirement for the highly technical term "Probable Cause". Most states verbage requires a "Founded Suspicion" based on the officers training and suspicion that a violation has occured, that can be articulated to the courts satisfaction. To continue the concept, virtually most state granted lic of driving privilage (its not a right) REQUIRES presentation of the state's lic on simple request of any state enforcement authority, along with state vehicle registration, and proof of insurance or bond. It is held at the USSC level that it is the implied consent of the signature of the state lic'd individual named in the lic agreement that recognizes this authority as a prerequsite to the privilege.
2. There are performance expectations in all professions. There are huge expectations of integrity of our law enforcement officers. When I hear or read that a citizen expects an officer of the court(Sheriff's Deputy) or executive branch (State Trooper) or DMV Code enforcement (Highway Patrol perhaps, or DMV Commercial Vehicle Inspector) to overlook a violation they are aware of in professional capacity, and the operator is surely aware of, makes me question the complainer's own integrity. I for one would NOT sully my professional reputation to give comfort or ego strokes to one who has commited a code violation or a crime in my presence. What I MIGHT do with the typical motorist however, is to create a learning opportunity for a citizen with a good attitude., and issue a written warning on the more serious infraction and cite on a lessor observed infraction. The liar and or the BS artist gets the full weight freight, and courtroom experience granted by law, always. And the Law Enforcement Officer has done his job. At all but the local level, its not about revenue. Hillarious concept actually. Most states use ticket revenues via general fund. Some small local jurisdictions need ticket revenue to help fund the small department, true. Most are moving away from this obvious conflict of interest.
3. ...Driving 30,000 lbs to 45000lbs of vehicle weight, and systems such as air brakes, engine brakes, tag axles and air suspensions are significantly different than the family minivan. You are surrounded by the motoring public. If a given state has the reponsibility to motoring safety by lic the privilege based on demonstrated competency and knowledge of the laws, shouldnt that apply to the skill sets in large & heavy vehicles also?
4. Yes, I had a full career in State level law enforcement and investigation. However, most of my working life has been in aviation. Would you want to fly with or around a pilot who's only demonstrated competency was in light , simple aircraft, yet he's buzzing about in a boeing 777?
5. Other drivers, officers, and pilots may likely have a differing opinion. This is only my own.
rotorhead173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #48

No edits, its hard enough already on a phone screen and minature touch screen keyboard!
rotorhead173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead173 View Post
There is quite a bit of bad information layedout here, even that wich has been reported as a result of personal contact. Oft times an action (by the enforcement of traffic code and its resultant fine is totally misinterpreted by the citizen. Heres a few examples of the mis information that has been presented.
1. In ALL states, a 'routine' initiation of a traffic stop is NOT a siezure nor an arrest. There is NO requirement for the highly technical term "Probable Cause". Most states verbage requires a "Founded Suspicion" based on the officers training and suspicion that a violation has occured, that can be articulated to the courts satisfaction. To continue the concept, virtually most state granted lic of driving privilage (its not a right) REQUIRES presentation of the state's lic on simple request of any state enforcement authority, along with state vehicle registration, and proof of insurance or bond. It is held at the USSC level that it is the implied consent of the signature of the state lic'd individual named in the lic agreement that recognizes this authority as a prerequsite to the privilege.
2. There are performance expectations in all professions. There are huge expectations of integrity of our law enforcement officers. When I hear or read that a citizen expects an officer of the court(Sheriff's Deputy) or executive branch (State Trooper) or DMV Code enforcement (Highway Patrol perhaps, or DMV Commercial Vehicle Inspector) to overlook a violation they are aware of in professional capacity, and the operator is surely aware of, makes me question the complainer's own integrity. I for one would NOT sully my professional reputation to give comfort or ego strokes to one who has commited a code violation or a crime in my presence. What I MIGHT do with the typical motorist however, is to create a learning opportunity for a citizen with a good attitude., and issue a written warning on the more serious infraction and cite on a lessor observed infraction. The liar and or the BS artist gets the full weight freight, and courtroom experience granted by law, always. And the Law Enforcement Officer has done his job. At all but the local level, its not about revenue. Hillarious concept actually. Most states use ticket revenues via general fund. Some small local jurisdictions need ticket revenue to help fund the small department, true. Most are moving away from this obvious conflict of interest.
3. ...Driving 30,000 lbs to 45000lbs of vehicle weight, and systems such as air brakes, engine brakes, tag axles and air suspensions are significantly different than the family minivan. You are surrounded by the motoring public. If a given state has the reponsibility to motoring safety by lic the privilege based on demonstrated competency and knowledge of the laws, shouldnt that apply to the skill sets in large & heavy vehicles also?
4. Yes, I had a full career in State level law enforcement and investigation. However, most of my working life has been in aviation. Would you want to fly with or around a pilot who's only demonstrated competency was in light , simple aircraft, yet he's buzzing about in a boeing 777?
5. Other drivers, officers, and pilots may likely have a differing opinion. This is only my own.
OR...in other words...Stay out of California IF you are close toTHEIR length limits!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #50
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
OR...in other words...Stay out of California IF you are close toTHEIR length limits!
No reason to stay away. CA honors other state's license allowances.

And, vehicle measures, like seat belt usage are "Secondary Enforcement" laws in CA, so unlike described above, "probable cause" (which is in the public lexicon) is a more correct term in this context than reasonable or founded suspension.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...obable%20cause

But the main point being made was - if stopped because of a Primary Enforcement law (lane keeping, running a red, etc) or at an enforcement emphasis (Hwy 1, Glamis, etc) the vehicle measures can be checked.

I submit that everyone would agree it is "best" for the driver and those around the driver to have the right license, registration, and insurance for the given RV.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #51

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Wouldn't "I think your motorhome is over 40' long" be probable cause to pull you over and measure the length of your motorhome? I would think being over length would be a traffic infraction of it's own.
The keyword you used is 'think'. That's not probable cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Isn't "I think your tail lights don't work" enough probable cause to pull you over and check your tail lights?
Again, 'think' won't do the trick. Now if the officer sees something that indicates to him the lights don't work (say you hit the brakes and your left brake light is out) then that's probable cause to stop you. Once stopped, then you are at the mercy of the LEO. He can do a full safety check if he wants (that's why you are always super nice to him/her!), and any other violation checks he wants. And a full safety check could be significant, too. They can include a brake test for air brakes, for example. They might well also weight your rig to ensure you are not overweight, too.

Bottom line: make sure there are no reasons to be pulled over (do your light check at the start of every drive!) and be really nice and polite to them. Even if they write you up for something, thank them for their doing their job.

BTW, most officers I know (and I know a few...) will when they stop you for an equipment issue (lights, for example) will either give an oral warning, or a fix-it slip. Again being nice can make the difference in just fixing it, or paying a fine!

Says the guy who's never been pulled over for an equipment violation, has gotten two speeding tickets (both in Florida, figures!) and has well over 50 years of driving experience.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #52

I wonder if your definition of "probable cause" would keep them from stopping you because "I think I smell marijauna in the air" or "I think I smell alcohol on you breath"?

I'm not sure criminal probable cause and a traffic stop are all that similar and I really think your statement for a need to show probable cause is likely inaccurate but I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #53

Rotorhead....

Evidently, somebody didn't read carefully or the sentence didn't fit the narrative....

The keyword you used is 'think'. That's not probable cause.

Probable cause is not the legal standard for a traffic stop or an investigative detention. The correct term is a reasonable articulable suspicion (RAS) based on the officers education, training, and experience. What may be reasonable to an experienced officer may not (probably not in reality) to a motorist going down the road. I may see something that has a perfectly innocent explanation to you, but it is a DWI clue to me.
But then again, trying to explain things sometimes we end up
Old 10-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #54

Thank you all for the very informative responses. Hopefully this information will be of use to others as well.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #55

We travel with a group of motorhomes pulling trailers with our offroad Jeeps on. Some are enclosed and some open. Mine was enclosed and I was 73' long. Others ranged from 63 to 76' in length. I had always heard that CA was strict when it came to length. So for the last two years, I and my son have purchased a $16 permit good for seven days to travel from the AZ border to Johnson Valley north of Palm Springs. Some in the group have been doing it for several years without permits and never questioned. The last two years 14 of us went in and out without one being stopped and we encountered several LEO. I'll probably continue to buy the permit, although, I haven't found CA to be any different than any other state.

Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, floor