Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Floorplans

In choosing a coach the advice is to choose the floor plan that you like the best. Some even say itís more important than the manufacturer.

So Iíve looked at a few coaches and many brochures and it seems that the floor planes for DPís come in 3 varieties.

All the DP coaches seem to have the same floor plan from the driverís seat and pax seat back to the bathroom.
You enter the coach ahead of the pax seat then you have a couch on either side with a bigger couch on the driverís side. Then the kitchen starts usually on the pax side with the dinette on the opposite side. Some variations here like the fridge location, but this seems pretty standard.

Then moving aft comes the bathroom. Here the choices seem to be;
1. Shower and sink on one side, then across a hall leading to the bedroom, toilet and additional sink on the other side or perhaps a washer/dryer substituted for the extra sink.
2. Shower, sink and toilet on one side and a hall on the other side leading to the bedroom.
3. Shower, sink and toilet encompassing the entire width of the coach that requires passing through this bath to the bedroom aft.

It seems to me choice 3 by eliminating the hall allows for a larger bathroom. I think some wonít like the fact you have to walk into and out of the bathroom to access the bedroom.

Aft of the bathroom is the bedroom. The only choices here it seems is the location of the bed headboard, either on the aft wall or a side wall. Some have a sink in the bedroom.

The only exception to the above seems to be the very few coaches with a bathroom aft of the bedroom and a small sink and toilet between the bedroom and living room - 1.5 baths. Personally I think I would like this setup but Iíve never actually seen one. Again Iíve seem very few coaches with this arrangement on RV Trader.

So my question is, is the bathroom arrangement really that big a deal? I would consider the reputation of the builder to be of more importance than the arrangement of the bathroom, but hey you guys are the experts, so I must be missing something.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

The notion to find a floor plan or amenities you want first is sound, then go shopping for who you want to buy from. Many manufacturers have similar floorplans. Those that fulltime seem to have a bigger requirement for bigger baths or more baths than us who use the MH on weekends, monthly, or several trips throughout the year. I have gone to use the camp facilities a number of times due to an occupied sign being lit so I guess it can be important.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We're got a bath and a half floor plan (full bath in the rear/ half bath mid-ship) and are pretty happy with it. We also like that our kitchen is "road side" and that our dining table is "curbside". We prefer looking out at "our" patio when we sit down to eat rather than our neighbors.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is also my fave! The kitchen forward design. You come in as before but you immediately enter the kitchen. Then back to the living area and bedroom is as your examples. I don't have my Fave now but I may in the future.
gemert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #5

I have to echo curb side dinette, road side kitchen. I also like a side entry but those a rare on DPs. I'd also like a door at the drivers position.

I'd like to see a better escape door in the bedroom. I've thought a headboard that doubled as an escape slide would be a great selling point. It would hing down and out when it's open so you could slide across the bed and out and down the door without climbing over anything. It would also be easier to get pets out fast.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

I’m retired & have been shopping coaches to go full-time.

Initially I bought into the ‘bigger is better’ philosophy. But I kept hearing about how great the State & Natonal parks systems were, and how they were not so accomodating to the newer, larger coaches. I rationalized, I’ll just park the coach at a nearby campground and drive the toad to visit the parks.

Then one day it occured to me - do I really want to be sitting in a small serene park setting (in my car) at the best time of the day (sunset), only to have to suddenly pick up & drive back to the commercial (pack ‘em in like sardines) campground? That’s when my focus shifted. I decided I needed a more ‘traditionally sized’ coach, one that gets into more of the smaller parks. So now I’m looking at a 38 ft’er.

And then came the compromises… like a single mid bathroom (that you have to walk thru to get to the bedroom), a smaller kitchen with crowded counter space & no dishwasher, and only one salon sofa, etc. Every floorplan comes with compromises. My compromise is I want access to the smaller parks, and other out-of-the-way boondocking sites.

Just a note - folks seem to prefer having their dinette overlook ‘their own’ patio instead of the neighbor’s. I like that too, but that also comes with a compromise. When the dinette is on the passenger side, the patio slideout extends an addtional 12-18 inches into your own patio. Another compromise.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #7

FWIW It may be less of an issue at the larger end of the scale than the smaller.

There are also issues like we prefer the table across from the counter so it can also work as prep area. The less of the mechanical plant in the slide the better. Sight line to the TV. Getting in and around the bed with two people. Dinette vs table and chairs. I could go on but these are just some of the issues that seem trivial but grow with use over time.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I think you have not been viewing enough floor plans to see the true variety available, but I'll admit that a large percentage of them are very similar. Especially in the smaller lengths. That's probably because that's what a lot of folks have found that general layout to be functional for their needs. Everything in an RV is a space compromise, trying to fit the most wanted capabilities into a smallish space.

There are side a few (mid) entry coaches, but they give up useful space to the door and step well and so are not as usable from that perspective. There are rear bath coaches, but generally in the longer sizes (40 & up) because most buyers also want at least a half bath closer to the front as well. Galleys and dinettes can be either side, and toward the front or the middle, and TVs can be either up front or toward the middle, with lounge seating arranged to match. Lots of choices, but still the majority will be very similar, cause that's what works for most people.

As others have said, figure out what layout and features works best for you, then look for the best manufacturer that makes (or made in the past) that layout. If a lot of features are in the "don't care' category for you, that leaves a lot more choices, but don't buy a rig based on manufacturer rep and then end up with something that is not comfortable for your needs. Quality doesn't vary that much within any given rice range.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
In choosing a coach the advice is to choose the floor plan that you like the best. Some even say itís more important than the manufacturer.

The only exception to the above seems to be the very few coaches with a bathroom aft of the bedroom and a small sink and toilet between the bedroom and living room - 1.5 baths. Personally I think I would like this setup but Iíve never actually seen one. Again Iíve seem very few coaches with this arrangement on RV Trader.

So my question is, is the bathroom arrangement really that big a deal? I would consider the reputation of the builder to be of more importance than the arrangement of the bathroom, but hey you guys are the experts, so I must be missing something.
Well I think you might have answered your own question!

But the fact is, if the builder makes your list as a quality builder and does not have the floorplan you desire then you might have a misguided opinion of the builder.

IMHO, the bathroom and it's location is not that significant - think about it - in my case the bathroom is used 15 minutes a day (1%) - the rest of the Coach 23 hours and 45 minutes (99%), where we live is the (IMHO) more important part of the Coach. So the mid bath Coach configuration works perfectly - gives us a larger living and sleeping area the two spots we will be in most of the time and we will enjoy the Coach.

In our case we also seldom use a table to eat at so we opted for the construction of a table that flipped up off a buffet, giving us even more room but still allowing us to have the table. While we are not full time we have Stayed in the Coach for months at a time, even wintering in Golden Colorado a few times.

So I guess what I'm saying is to consider all the options, look long and hard to find something that works for YOU. then buy it and enjoy it.

BOL,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I've heard the "pick the floorplan first" for a long time. I agree that it is important, but I believe there are many other important aspects of selecting the right MH.

So, Mrs. Q and I have separated the selection duties. She concentrates on floorpan [important to her] and I concentrate on mechanicals [important to me]. She couldn't care less if it has a Sparten or Freightliner chassis. No interest in HP rating or generator capacity....that my job.

But, as I look at motorhomes, I take one look at the floorplan and if there is one thing missing from Mrs. Q's requirements, I scratch that one off the list.

It seems to be working for us, but I am still sitting here without anything
Old 05-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #11

I never gave too much thought to the location of the dinette but I think you're right. The best spot for it is overlooking your own patio! I also like the living area to be up front for two reasons. 1. It brings the driver and passenger seats into the conversation seating group and 2. Its the furthest from the bathrooms that at times can be noisy. I joke but its true isn't it?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

So Iíve looked at a few coaches and many brochures and it seems that the floor planes for DPís come in 3 varieties.

All the DP coaches seem to have the same floor plan from the driverís seat and pax seat back to the bathroom.
You enter the coach ahead of the pax seat then you have a couch on either side with a bigger couch on the driverís side. Then the kitchen starts usually on the pax side with the dinette on the opposite side. Some variations here like the fridge location, but this seems pretty standard.

Then moving aft comes the bathroom. Here the choices seem to be;
1. Shower and sink on one side, then across a hall leading to the bedroom, toilet and additional sink on the other side or perhaps a washer/dryer substituted for the extra sink.
2. Shower, sink and toilet on one side and a hall on the other side leading to the bedroom.
3. Shower, sink and toilet encompassing the entire width of the coach that requires passing through this bath to the bedroom aft.

It seems to me choice 3 by eliminating the hall allows for a larger bathroom. I think some wonít like the fact you have to walk into and out of the bathroom to access the bedroom.

Aft of the bathroom is the bedroom. The only choices here it seems is the location of the bed headboard, either on the aft wall or a side wall. Some have a sink in the bedroom.

You have generalized fairly well but there are numerous nuances that could be considered.

- The bath and 1/2 is a great option - for us at least.
- An L shaped lounge and chair instead of two couches. This places the television across from the couch rather than overhead of the dash.
- height of the backs of the couches. Many have low backs to enhance the size of the windows.
- placement of the kitchen and dining on opposite sides. Some like the kitchen on the drivers side and the dining table on the passenger side. The passenger side awning will shade the dining area for an enhanced dining experience.
- rear or mid bathroom. If a rear bathroom I would want an bath and 1/2.
- size of the counter top space in the kitchen. Do you like to cook and how much? IMO larger is better.
- placement of fridge and pantry in relation to kitchen counter top.
- do you want a king size bed or will a queen be sufficient?
- how much storage or closet space inside?
- space in general. Imagine you will be spending several days cooped up inside due to inclement weather. Will the layout be conductive to a relaxing time or will you get cabin fever quickly?
- do you want mid or front entry. Most gas coaches are mid entry and the majority of diesel are front. Many positives to be said for a mid entry.

We went to several dealers and ditched the salesman and took our time sitting in and pretending we were living in various models. We asked lots of questions pretending we were confined inside such as: What would you be doing if I was doing another activity?

One thing we never found was a coat closet near the entry door. Our 5er has one and we miss it in the coach.

We have experienced several occasions where we were 'house bound' and so far the floor plan has worked for us.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #13

You mentioned some points that I hadn't considered. Thanks Gordon.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #14

Well done Gordon, a very thoughtful response!