Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
It's interesting to me that lots of folks like the kitchen on the patio side... that's why I asked.. just to get an idea of people's preferences. No right nor wrong to it - just prefs, that's all. We each have various aspects of coach design which we prefer... that's why there have been so many variations over the years. In these days of RV market struggles, makers can't afford to offer so many variations and need to drill down to the few plans that will be the best sellers... knowing various people's preferences can help makers bring to market what we like. We found the plan that we love. But no plan suits everyone, that's for sure!

While it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us. Our preference is this floorplan and the bonus is the dining is on the Patio Side.

Trap

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is set up like the plan you posted, but it works fine for us. We actually dont use our dinnette to eat on but as a desk. It might have been nice to have the kitchen window on that side instead, but we love everything else about our RV. The other RV that was in the running had the kitchen on the opposite side.

Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

We've had the galley on either side and don't see much difference if the rest of the floor plan compliments it. I think many folks like to have the dining table by a nice window - it just seems to contribute to the "outdoor living" atmosphere. Ditto for the lounge area. That leaves the galley to be located in whatever space is left over, which often means the curb/patio side.

In our current rig the sink, stove and galley work area are on the patio side, which lets us look out the window and see most of our site from the galley window. That's handy. The fridge and the dining table or an the other side. We consider the whoel thing to be galley/dining area and never gave much thought to which parts are on which side - just whether the layout works as a whole.

But whatever works for you is what you should buy.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #32

We hadn't thought about this, so we'll be discussing it.

We are agreed that we don't really like the refrigerator in a slide (although we have that in our mpg), and we don't like a slide that goes over the patio right by the door.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #33

Interesting discussion as to what are people’s preferences. I looked at literally hundreds Class A’s, knowing for the first 6 months that I wanted a diesel pusher. One of the deal killers for me was that front passenger door, everyone was awkward for me. I wanted a mid coach door and DPs with those are few and far between. #2 deal killer was a slide into the awning area. # 3 was a chair or couch next to the kitchen counters. I travel with 2 small dogs and one of them would spend every minute I was out of the RV on the counters.

“To each their own” that is why there are so many varieties and floor plans of RVs..
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Wow.... thanks to everyone for all of the (many different) viewpoints. We too looked at many dozens of higher-end Class A coaches before deciding on the plan that was for us. We were diligent and thorough in touring and considering many options.

A lot more came up in this thread than I had consciously thought about, so the thread stimulated many new thoughts about RV floorplans to me.

I like having plenty of window on both sides, though the galley area itself typically can't have more than one, somewhat smaller, window - typically right above the sink. So I prefer the galley on the street side so we can view our patio area from the dinette slide, which typically has quite a bit more window area than the galley side does.

I'm ok with the kitchen being in a slide. I guess I'm confident that if issues present themselves with lines, they can be corrected by a competent service staff. This is, in part, what warranties are there for. And I would think that in the better, higher end rigs, engineers have found good ways to create reliable designs for supply and drain lines in a slide.

We found the floorplan that I posted above most to our liking and now, after living with it full-time for nearly 3 months, our appreciation for this design is confirmed. But I can see how other floorplans can offer alternative benefits of one sort or another and how other RVers may have different considerations that may not necessarily apply to us.

Good thing there are a lot of RV floorplan options available, so that everyone can find something that suits their individual preferences.

This is an awesome forum. I posted the same question in a different, larger, forum and some of the replies there were somewhat defensively-edgy. Here, everyone's reply was level-headed, respectful of differing views, and especially friendly. Thanks to you all.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
I find it interesting on the different yet important, to them, things that people determine as potential deal killers. In our MH with 4 slides the kitchen area actually is on both sides. The Refrig. and pullout storage for pantry as well as the dinette are in one slide and the rest of the kitchen is in the other. It seems to be an efficient kitchen that does not require the person working there to interfere with those watching TV or just visiting with others. The curb side slide does reduce the outside patio area a bit but the awning is mounted on the slide so the patio area is just out a bit further. Back when we were raising our kids we used the camper differently than we now do. We are snowbirds. The MH is used more as a home for the 4 or 5 months that we spend in it at a time. Having a recliner to set back and fall asleep in front of the TV with the fireplace keepin me toasty on a cool winters night is more important to me than having the other half watching me as I burn the steaks on the grill. That TV is more important to me as well because that is how I keep up with the news and check to see what the weather is going to be the next day. If I happen to see the neighbor out dumping the black water tank, I just wave, (if he sees me). Or if I see him sitting on the patio with a beer in his hand I know it's 5 oclock over there! I'll probably join him. I really like the floor plan for this coach but it's not perfect. I thought having a King size bed would be a good option, but that darn mattress takes up to much space from the floor area and it is nearly impossible to make the bed because it is squeezed to tight between the bedside tables. It would also be nice if the head had a couple of more inches in it. I'm not as small as I used to be!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #36

Our kitchen is on the street side. The weight keeps the size of the slide smaller from what we see on the older gassers. I want to look at my patio not the neighbors.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree the eating area on the patio side is prefered, I like the floor plan you've posted...very nice!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #38
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had both. We spend most of out time outside so the key is how close the galley is to the door. My question is which side do you prefer the head?

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
My question is which side do you prefer the head?
The location of the bath isn't as important to me as the placement of the galley.

But since you ask... (obviously asked tongue-in-cheek!) at present, my favorite is a full rear bath with two vanities. And I don't mind having a mid-coach 1/2 bath either. Actually our coach has both and I love it. Shown in the floorplan I posted above. The side the head is on has no bearing with the patio area nor the street side, so I don't really care if it works with the rest of the layout.

I've also seen some mid-coach bath layouts that I could live with as well, given the rest of the layout worked for me.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #40
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
The location of the bath isn't as important to me as the placement of the galley.

But since you ask... (obviously asked tongue-in-cheek!) at present, my favorite is a full rear bath with two vanities. And I don't mind having a mid-coach 1/2 bath either. Actually our coach has both and I love it. Shown in the floorplan I posted above. The side the head is on has no bearing with the patio area nor the street side, so I don't really care if it works with the rest of the layout.

I've also seen some mid-coach bath layouts that I could live with as well, given the rest of the layout worked for me.
Well that opens up opportunities that could take the thread in a whole new direction that may be better left alone. It is all about the flow of the layout that is important to me.

But it your spouse asks why the shades are always open in the head and your 8 year old boy tells you he opens it because he likes waving to the truckers... Well that was an interesting conversation I had to have while staying between the lines.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ya' know the reality is that they build what people want and buy. The "plumbing in the slide" problem has been overcome.

It's just like why RV's still have such big flat "bus style" front ends and 18Wheelers still look the same after so many decades...It's what people want...and buy.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #42

There are lots of floor plans because everyone has different ideas of what is the best set-up. I've walked into MHs, saw the kitchen on the street side, and walked out without considering them further. For me its a deal breaker because I don't want the sink, refer, weigh of the cabinets with utensile, in the slide. Get the layout that works for you.