Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #1

Florida mini sun pass

Instructions for auto are to mount next to the rear view mirror.
Was wondering if the mounting location is critical and if I can mount on the bottom of the windscreen in the drivers corner. The instructions say it won't work unless mounted on a windscreen cause it uses the windscreen for something or other.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #2

I have the mini SunPass in my MH, I mounted it toward the middle of my windshield, about 18" above the dash. I kept it out from behind the wipers.

I chose that spot because, if I had a review mirror, that's about where it would have been.

I suspect it doesn't matter much where its mounted. Mine works where I put it .

Brian_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #3

florida mini sun pass

well....attached it right above the dash in the middle of the screen.
just went thru a booth and it worked just fine.
i guess i guessed right (for once)
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info bandmbrown. We'll be in Florida next week and I plan on getting a Sunpass Mini but I really wasn't sure where to mount it (I contacted Sunpass.com and they simply said to contact my motorhome dealer and request proper placement from them ... Which is pretty pointless for us since a) it's a 10 year old mh that we bought used and b) the dealer isn't in Florida so probably doesn't know the first thing about the proper placement for Florida's automated toll system!!!)

I've never used them - how can you tell if it worked? How can you tell if it didn't work? What happens if it didn't work?

From the information they (sunpass.com) give, the minipass can't be moved once it's applied so what do you do if it doesn't work?

Let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
FYI, I found some information that said that the proper placement for trucks / buses (so presumably RVs) was in the middle of the windshield a few inches above the bottom of the dash.

Also, in another forum, someone claimed that they've been using their SunPass Mini by simply placing it up to their windshield but it's not actually glued to it (thereby allowing them to switch it to another vehicle). Don't take my word for it and if you are interested in trying that, do it at your own risk but it might be possible.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We placed our SunPass Mini about 3" down from the top of the windshield in the tinted area at the center (we have a one piece windshield) of our Canyon Star. It worked fine, we used it on our Fl. vacation last December.

One note, make sure you register it (either at the website or by phone) a day or so before you intend on using it, the website says it will work the next morning but did not guarantee it, we ended up having to register it by phone.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #7

I have one that I take off the car and then use it on the MH and use it on my Goldwing.
was going to get the mini pass for motorcycle but was told that would not work because the windshield was plastic?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I have one I use in my truck and in the MH both. I mount the unit on the bottom of the windshield near the drivers side. The unit is actually a small radio transmitter so it will work almost anywhere as long as the antenna (the bottom piece where the suction cups are) is facing forward.

And if you go around Orlando on the expressway there are high speed (65 MPH) stations that will read the unit just fine as well.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #9

When you go thru a pay area a "thank you" light comes on at the station, or sometimes the thing beeps, and sometimes nothing. In using sun pass for 8 years and having all these things happen, I have only been contacted once by the state to say the thing didn't work. Then you just call a number and give them your account number and all is OK. It's one of those things you just got to assume works or your blood pressure will rise on on occasion.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Slightly off topic but how quick/slow are they to activate them? The website says if you activate before noon, it will be ready by 4pm, if you activate after noon, it will be ready by 6am the next morning. We'll be arriving in Orlando around 9PM and plan on getting a SunPassMini then (e.g. activate online by 10pm), does that mean it would be ready by 6am or will we only have it by 4pm? Does it make any difference if we activate online or is it better to activate by phone?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We purchased a SunPassMini at around 9PM and registered it on-line at 10:30PM. We checked on-line next morning and there was no record. Called the 800 number, the customer service lady checked and said it was not registered. She registered it and said we shouldn't use it until the next morning

She also said if we used it that afternoon and it didn't work right, there was a good chance they would fix it before we saw the bill, so we took a chance. It must have worked because all our tolls showed up correctly and we haven't gotten a nasty letter saying we didn't pay

That was our experience, YMMV.

Good Luck!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info Brenda. I'll try it tomorrow too and update the thread on our success (or lack thereof).

FWIW, I did email SunPass and told them we wanted to activate around 10PM for use the next morning and they said 'To active a transponder after hours, simply ... online at Welcome to SunPass.com ... Once you have activated and prepaid funds are available (maybe that's the sticky part), you may begin using the transponder by 6am the next morning ...'
Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
FYI, we got our SunpassMini a few days ago. Purchased it around 11:00pm, activated online around midnight and used it the next day around 1PM (not sure how early it was available but we didn't go through a toll until then).

As far as the placement, I mentioned above that I saw something that said to place it a few inches above the dash but I when I went to put it there, I felt it hindered my view too much so I placed it near the top, just below the tint line (around where my rear view mirror would be if I had one) and it appears to work fine.

As far as moving the SunPass Mini (e.g. sticking it on a piece of plastic or even scotch-taping it to the windshield so that it can be removed), I believe that would work. Because I wasn't sure about the placement, I only peeled the corners of it to stick it to my windshield (so that I'd be able to remove it easily) and it works fine for me.

Hope this helps.