Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida RV registration

I will be purchasing a motorhome in the coming months. I am currently living in Florida and will probably chose FL as my home state. In looking at registration fees, it appears that the cost of registering a motorhome is $72.40 for big rigs, and $52.15 for a smaller MH. I hear ppl on this site talking about registration fees in the thousands in other states, so I am wondering if I am missing some fees out of ignorance since I have never owned a MH before. Here's the DMV site which shows the registration fees in Fl. http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83140.pdf Is this it, or are there more fees (not sales tax) that I haven't thought of? Thanks.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I live in Fl. and that's what I pay. Nothing hidden. I always say "I love this place called Fl."

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm a legal resident of Florida. The tag this year for my 36' Bounder was $72.40. However, I bought my used motorhome in another state. When I brought it into Florida the initial fees included sales tax (the tax rate was different where I bought it), title fees, impact fees, and tag fees: $1,783. Look out for those initial and impact fees.
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

Here is a form to calculate fees for license plates/registration http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83140.pdf. There are one time fees the first time that you register a vehicle in Florida. After that, the yearly renewals are what you have been told. Some states have excise/ad valorem taxes collected with vehicle registration that are based on value. These can add several thousand dollars annually to registration fees.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I recall (Do confirm before acting) Flordia is one of the 4 states that allow one to "Full Time"... I may have to move there next time I'm close enough. (My Daughter does not live in Flordia,,, but she does live close to it).
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As I recall (Do confirm before acting) Florida is one of the 4 states that allow one to "Full Time"... I may have to move there next time I'm close enough. (My Daughter does not live in Florida, but she does live close to it).
I'm confused, what do you mean by only four states allow you to "full time"? Tennessee doesn't have a problem with it, my drivers license, voter registration, and vehicle registrations (including the fiver) have the address of the campground we are staying at on them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the "impact" fee if I buy the RV out of state. Will have to read more about that.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

The high fees when you get it registered, they may be talking about the 7% sales tax
wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the "impact" fee if I buy the RV out of state. Will have to read more about that.
Impact fees were in effect back in the 90's if memory serves.

Florida Supreme Court eliminated them long ago.

The registration fee is modest as you found and others affirmed.

The other one-time fees are also modest.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Florida resident since 1992
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #10

Watch out for the insurance,though.Insurance in Florida tends to be very high.I have my 1996 Damon Ultrasport 36.5 ft class A registered and insured in N.C. because of insurance.I pay $85.00 every 6 months for full coverage with a $500.00 deductable through State Farm.The only bad thing in N.C. is the yearly personal property tax(only $31.00 per year in my case based on a $10,000 tax valuation).Happy Trails!!
Gary.
Happy full timer for over 4 years!!
gwrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Impact fees were in effect back in the 90's if memory serves.

Florida Supreme Court eliminated them long ago.
Whether you call it an impact fee or not, there is a $225 fee for every vehicle added to the state's registration rolls. So if you bring a vehicle in from out of state, or buy a new vehicle that does not replace a previous one, you pay the fee. The quote below is from the FAQa on the Florida DMV web site:

Quote:
Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, requires a fee of $225 to be imposed upon the initial application for registration on certain motor vehicle registration transactions. Whether the vehicle is new or used doesn't matter. Basically, the fee is due on any private-use automobile, any lightweight truck, or any motor home unless the vehicle being registered is a replacement for a vehicle that has been disposed in the same category of vehicles.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Fla Tags/Sales Tax

So, my wife and I sold our house in Fla. We're buying a coach from a private party in Mi. I am a Mi resident and we have a house in Mi.
Now, my parents live in Fla, can I register the coach in Fla using their address? And what taxes will I have to pay?
shamrock481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
LLC

My wife has an LLC in Michigan. But when we go to Florida in the winter she works under the LLC cleaning. Can that LLC work as being valid for a Montana Registration?
shamrock481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
I will be purchasing a motorhome in the coming months. I am currently living in Florida and will probably chose FL as my home state. In looking at registration fees, it appears that the cost of registering a motorhome is $72.40 for big rigs, and $52.15 for a smaller MH. I hear ppl on this site talking about registration fees in the thousands in other states, so I am wondering if I am missing some fees out of ignorance since I have never owned a MH before. Here's the DMV site which shows the registration fees in Fl. http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/83140.pdf Is this it, or are there more fees (not sales tax) that I haven't thought of? Thanks.
I am a new Fl. MH owner and that is what I paid in March 2012.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida