Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #15

The fact is "Most" toll booths have gone to "cam view" of license plates on Florida toll roads. So if you do not have Sun Pass you will receive a toll bill in the mail.
In state plates as well as out state.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #16

spelling

EZ Pass is not accepted in FL. I traveled on the FL turnpike last winter and had no sunpass and was never charged. Thanks FL!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #17

Strange I replied to this thread and it disappeared?
Anyway I stated in Florida MOST toll boths now use cameras to take pictures of license plates and send out the bill including out of state plates.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
EZPass will not work in Florida.

Lowell Rohrer
03 Monaco
windsor
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
We live in PA and are going to FLA Jan thru March. Will my Ez-Pass work in Fla ?
Absolutely does not work...what a pain....you'd think if yu can make it work in multiple states in the northeast, the admin could make it work elsewhere.

Same thing on the eastern bypass around Denver...no toll booths, three months later a bill with a surcharge...and with a warning about prosecution if you don't pay.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
You only need one transponder on your motorhome. YOU WILL BE BILLED TWICE if you leave one in the tow. At least that is my experience as I went on line and looked at my account. ...
I was planning on having one stick on one in the mh (already have it) and one in the toad. If (when) you are billed twice, can you just call / email them to have it corrected? I'd rather have one in each (I know if I only have one, I'll forget to switch it back and forth) and I don't mind double-paying IF they'll reimburse it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #21

I don't mount mine just lay it on the dash by windshield.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
The fact is "Most" toll booths have gone to "cam view" of license plates on Florida toll roads. So if you do not have Sun Pass you will receive a toll bill in the mail.
Not yet, I'm afraid. Toll by plate is currently limited to the Miami area. From the Florida Turnpike web site: "TOLL-BY-PLATE is an FDOT image based electronic toll collection system that uses photographic images of the vehicles license plate to identify the customer responsible for payment. This feature is available on the HEFT (Homestead Extension of Florida's Turnpike) from Florida City to Miramar in Miami-Dade County.".

The plan is to be statewide in the future, just not yet. I recently accidentally drove through a Sun Pass lane without the transponder in central Fl. Got a "courtesy notice" that basically said pay up or the next time we will issue a license plate suspension.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #23

Question FL Sun Pass

Okay it seems very clear get a FL Sun Pass! Do you sign up as a "Personal" or "Commercial" use?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHorst View Post
Okay it seems very clear get a FL Sun Pass! Do you sign up as a "Personal" or "Commercial" use?
Both of ours (one transponder moved between towd and mh and a window unit for second auto) are personal accounts. I do not know why you would need commercial unless you really are a commercial vehicle.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

No EZ pass in Florida. Supposedly they are working to make EZ and Sun inter-operable, but it hasn't happened yet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
One Sun Pass for Bus and Toad. It just works......

Whatever you DO, don't DO this. If you have separate transponders for your car and motorhome you MUST shield the towed vehicle transponder or you will be billed twice, for every axle at every toll location.

We live in Florida. A SunPass is a must. We use a mini-pass (the stick on type) in the motorhome and a regular transponder (the garage opener style device) in the toad. When we tow, we put the toad transponder in a metal foil bag provided by the SunPass folks and stick it in the glove compartment.

If you travel the toll roads in Florida you need SunPass, it is that simple.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #27

I have traveled through out florida and in fact I-75 across Alagator Ally is camera view as is down the keys where it is toll. Much of the Tampa is also Camera Picture. So as stated above it is more than just in Miami area.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Whatever you DO, don't DO this. If you have separate transponders for your car and motorhome you MUST shield the towed vehicle transponder or you will be billed twice, for every axle at every toll location.

If you get double billed, can you just call / email them to get the 2nd charges reversed? I really don't mind paying it twice as long as it's refunded (I'd much rather do that then have to move the transponder from one vehicle to the other).

Alternatively, is there any way to block the minis from sending the signal? Since they're stuck to the glass, I can't see any way of covering it.

-- Update

For anyone else curious, I called SunPass and they will reverse the double charges as long as you call them within 90 days.

So I'm just going to get 2 minis and then twice every winter, I'll go through the charges online and call them to have them remove the double charges.

Tags
florida