Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Do not take 95 all the way it is not good. At 1 am to 5 am I would not advise travel through some of the places it goes through.
Through south Miami is very narrow and red lights every 1000 ft it seems to me.I am 30miles south of Miami and I use state road 997 to us 27 to I75 s to state road 869(sawgrass exp) to turn pike. This bypasses almost all city traffic. 997 is not the greatest but it beats traffic jams.
I have lived here since the turnpike ended in Miami and I95 ended in Vero Beach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Transponder is $20.

Thought about getting one but we won't be going to Florida again so it wasn't worth it.

I just bought one of the Sun pass sticker transponders it was $4.95

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
I just bought one of the Sun pass sticker transponders it was $4.95

1997 Tiffen Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126

I got that price from a sign on the entrance to a service plaza. Maybe they are more there? I don't know.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:46 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is some info on SunPass mini SunPass Mini Information
Besides the toll plazas here are retailers that sell them https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #19

Be aware of the following when purchasing the Stick-on vs. the Portable:

"The SunPass Mini Sticker transponder needs to be permanently affixed to the windshield of just one vehicle. Once attached, the SunPass Mini Sticker transponder must not be removed from the windshield as it will be destroyed in the process. Removal of or attempt to remove a SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder from the vehicle windshield will render the unit useless."

If you plan on traveling on toll roads with the toad, the Portable may be a better option. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy 2 Stick-ons. Try NOT to do the Toll-By-Plate because there is an additional Administrative Charge.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #20

I am heading down to Key Largo from Jacksonville at the end of the month. Google maps shows taking I-95 south and then joining the turnpike. it does not show where it joins the turnpike though. What is my best option from Jax?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #21
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
I am heading down to Key Largo from Jacksonville at the end of the month. Google maps shows taking I-95 south and then joining the turnpike. it does not show where it joins the turnpike though. What is my best option from Jax?

Thanks!

Fort Pierce, Florida

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #22

The turnpike and I-95 come close together at many exits from Ft Pierce on down to Miami. If you want to save a buck or two you could join the turnpike at the Jupiter exit without enduring too horribly bad traffic. Depending on day of week and time of day, I-95 can sometimes be a real mess south of Jupiter, and especially south of West Palm Beach, but you could take I-95 south until Miami if you wanted to save a few more bucks. I always use the turnpike. The only time I would use I-95 is with my smartphone with a mapping feature, I turn on the traffic function, and if there is a backup shown on the turnpike I will try to get off and onto I-95 before I reach it.

I live about 10 miles west of the Ft Pierce turnpike exit.
Lindamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Our experience is that if you use the Sunpass in your coach, while towing, you will not be charged as a large multi-axle vehicle. Their web site says that if your do so occasionally, this is OK. It does not define what occasional means. We use it 2-3 times a year in the coach.

So we have the non-stick on type and transfer it between our toad and the coach, depending on what we need. We use the Sunpass much more often just in the toad.

If you take the coach through a full-service booth without the Sunpass, you'll pay much more.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8804 View Post
Our experience is that if you use the Sunpass in your coach, while towing, you will not be charged as a large multi-axle vehicle. Their web site says that if your do so occasionally, this is OK. It does not define what occasional means. We use it 2-3 times a year in the coach.

So we have the non-stick on type and transfer it between our toad and the coach, depending on what we need. We use the Sunpass much more often just in the toad.

If you take the coach through a full-service booth without the Sunpass, you'll pay much more.
It seems a bit unpredictable .... apparently has something to do with distance between axles when the Sunpass booth tries to calculate.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #25

Thanks for the replies
Old 12-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoor View Post
Thanks for the replies
You are very welcome!

The net of all this is that most of us FL residents routinely us I-95 north of Miami but RARELY us I-95 thru Miami .... when you get to Miami, I-95 becomes US-1 and is nothing but a regular highway with a lot of traffic signals and congestion.
Some of us take I-95 to 826 (North Miami), then 874, then 821 (821 is the Extension of the Florida Turnpike).
Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I lived in So. FLA for 18 years. Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties on I95 can be horrendous most times. Defensive driving skills are needed and I wouldn't want to be driving my motorhome down there. Turnpike from Jupiter to Florida City is well worth the tolls.

I strongly agree with everyone who suggested that route!

My $.02.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindamon View Post
If you want to save a buck or two you could join the turnpike at the Jupiter exit without enduring too horribly bad traffic.
I agree. The I95 traffic starts getting bad when you start getting close to West Palm. If you get off southbound at Jupiter the turnpike is right next to I95 so you just stay in the right lane of the exit ramp and about one block later you are in the turn lane for the turnpike entrance.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida