Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #29

People rave about this gizmo... and I concur, makes battery maintenance 1000x easier,
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
I wouldn't use one after reading this on a golf cart forum that I frequent;
Blew up some trojans
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
That's not a flow rite system!
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #32

flo-rite

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #33

From Flow-rite's website

SAFETY

• Remote watering eliminates hazards of conventional filling
  • No need to open vent covers
  • No risk of acid splashes or dangerous fumes
  • Flame arrestors prevent external spark or flame from igniting flammable cell gasses
  • Proper electrolyte level prevents dangerous acid bubble out during charge
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
If you can see into the cells of the battery a Flow-rite is the best way to go. I wish I would have got one years ago...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #35

Gotta jump on the "Got em', luv em" side. Had them on my Dolphin gas coach and now my present DSDP. They take a messy and time consuming job of topping off of all 12 cells in my 4 six volt house bank batteries down to a literal 2-3 minutes. The BEST purchase I have made for both MH's?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #36

My Pro-fil system has been one of the best things I have ever done for my MH. Since last July or so it has functioned flawlessly. In fact, last week I became curious if the system was working as well as seemed. So I disassembled seven or eight of the caps to inspect the water level in each cell. The water levels were each perfect, far better and consistently filled than I've ever done them the old way. I was also struck by how clean everything was in each cell. Also, my batteries stay very clean and the posts stay corrosion free. Because it is now so easy to service the batteries, I do it more often...once a month or so. One or two squeezes and I'm done.
You cannot beat this system. It is no gizzmo!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post
Blew up some trojans
I see ONE blown up battery, not "all". Just because there is a one of a kind picture of ONE blown up battery sure won't keep me from using the system. Whos to say that the battery didn't arc internally all y itself? And thats usually caused by low or no water. And we also don't know that.

You should visit the Flo-Rite page and see the engineering that goes into flashover.

And as has been noted, thats not a Flo-Rite, its a Trojan

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post
Blew up some trojans
Was not caused by the battery fill system, it will not and cannot cause an explosion. If you look real close at the positive cable on the cracked top battery, you can see the red cable has discoloration above the shrink wrap. You can also see the cable lug has some discoloration below the shrink wrap. It appears there was a loose connection there because of a bad crimp that cause the explosion.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Sounds like a great solution to re-filling batteries. Since my coach only uses 12V Batteries (5), It gonna be spendy for me to buy a complete system, this system for my setup is $117.24 + shipping. Then there is the weight factor, each kit weighs 30#. That adds 90# to coach weight.
That puts this system low-priority for me.

The shipping weight is listed as one pound, certainly then the actual product weight must be less. A typo for sure. The components are plastic so I think if weight is a deterrent then you can remove it from the reasons not to do this on your MH.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Best thing ever! I'v had some close calls removing battery caps to check the water. I had one cap that was stuck and wen it let go I was sprayed with battery acid. Lucky for me I was wearing my safety glasses. I have nice pair of speckled pants & shirt now though.

I would not have a MH now without this watering system.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #41

The only reason I pull my battery tray once a year is to remove all the caps and wash the crud out of them to prevent that from happening. Took that cue from reviews when they were installed.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
The only reason I pull my battery tray once a year is to remove all the caps and wash the crud out of them to prevent that from happening. Took that cue from reviews when they were installed.
Jeff, this is the first I've heard of this problem. What is this crud you're speaking of, and why does it exist? Does the crud prevent water from entering the batteries? How are you cleaning the caps? Just running water thru them?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote